Start by marking “Emma's Yucky Brother” as Want to Read:
Emma's Yucky Brother

Emma's Yucky Brother

(I Can Read: Level 3)

Emma has always wanted a little brother. Now her family is adopting Max, and Emma is sure he will be the best brother ever. But Max has his own ideas. He thinks sisters are yucky, and that Emma is the yuckiest! Is this really what having a brother is all about? In Jean Little's warmhearted, perceptive story about adoption, Emma learns that there is more to having a little ...more
Published April 16th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Emma's Yucky Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma's Yucky Brother

Kristine Hansen
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, easy-reader
A well told tale that somehow in so few words managed to encompass the full range of emotions involved in bringing another child into the family. Especially one like this where the situation is so unique and different. I was very impressed and would recommend this highly, especially to be used with children who are facing an adoption / foster situation in their own home.
Nicki
Despite its horrible name, this is actually a very good book about loving your siblings and adoption.
Erin
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
We first read this (in a very abbreviated version) to my son when he was about 2.5. It was the best we could find for the purpose at the time, but now that he's 4 it's a much better fit (although it did the job for 2.5 if you're needing something for that age. There's just really not a lot out there).

It's an easy reader title broken into chapters that tells the story of Emma's new 4 year old brother Max coming to live with her family from foster care. It very briefly touches on things that kids
Tawnie
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Grades: K to 3 Genre: Realistic Fiction
Emma’s parents are going to adopt a four year old boy named Max. At first she is sure that he will be the best little brother ever, but soon she decides that younger brothers are yucky. It doesn’t seem to help that Max doesn’t like Emma either. The two have several small confrontations until one day Max accidentally breaks one of Emma’s dolls. Afraid of what she will do, he runs away. At first Emma is angry, but then her friend Sally shows her how to fix th
Ryan Treaster
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is classified as an "I can Read Book" and really makes for a good read for young children. Emma is not happy about getting a new brother and does not think she will like him. After he takes off and runs away, Emma realizes she loves him and he is part of the family. This is a really good book about family and shows the idea of adoption with Emma's new brother.

Reading Level- Early Readers
Curricular Issues- Read aloud or independent reading
Social Issues- This book relays the topic of ado
Ebookwormy1
What a wonderful book! Emma's Yucky Brother details the joys and trials of an older sister's experience in welcoming an adoptive younger brother into her home. The parents and social worker are portrayed positively, as is adoption in general. But Emma and her brother struggle. Sure, things are wrapped up rather easily, but it's a level 3 reader, and a great discussion starter for adoption families and others who love them. One of the best adoption books for kids that I have found. Highly recomme ...more
Katie Jackson
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book can be related to some of the Children's lives because they have a sibling that gets on their nerves. Even though a younger brother or sister will pester their older sibling, this book showed that at the end of the day you will always love your brother or sister even if your sibling is adopted or a stepbrother or stepsister.
Chloe Jackson
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption
Emma's Yucky Brother is a cute chapter that talks about a young girl named Emma and her adopted brother. This book is a great book for beginner chapter book readers. I think this book would be appropriate for children at the 1st grade level. This book is an informational chapter book because it explains to the children about the whole adoption process at an appropriate level.
Tara Geske
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This story was kind of boring, but was really good at showing you how the adoption process works. It was almost a step by step explanation. It also showed the emotional side of adoption as well. If a kid in my class was going through this process, I would suggest they read this book and maybe it would help them feel better if they were having troubles with their new adopted sibling.
Elizabeth Root
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this chapter book. Students read about a difficult topic; adoption. The story teaches students about sharing more than just material items, opening you're heart and home to new members and what its like to be an older sibling.
Cassie
Emma's family is adopting a little boy. She's really excited to become a sister, but it isn't until her brother is living with her family does she realize how annoying brothers can be. The ending is really cute.
Jennifer Oaks
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the topic of this book, adoption. It shows how a girl adjusts to having an adopted brother. She is so excited, but then when they meet he doesn't like the cookies she made and he also calls her yucky. This is Max's way of adjusting and Emma must learn to accept this.
Rosa Cline
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A special book about an older child's family adopting a new sibling... and not a baby like she suspected. How they both have to adjust to being 'siblings' and he in the new house and family. A good book to share with your child if you are adopting or even if they are trying to adjust to a sibling.
Ashley Allen
I would use this book to talk about relationships that we have with our brothers and sisters. I would also use it to talk about adoption and how children respond to it. It is a great book to give to students who are between picture and chapter books.
Beyond the Pages
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book dealing with the issue of adoption. I liked that it presented the emotional considerations of each family member, as well as the child to be adopted. Wonderful!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It's about a family who adopts a little boy named Max. H.D.
Cana
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Mommy says: Kids were bored by this book. Cana read some, Daddy read some.
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children's Librarians
Shelves: adoption
Great book for a child (st or 2nd grade)who has or will soon have an adopted sibling.
Esther
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Older child adoption; sibling relationship involving adoption;
Michelle
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Illustrated by Jennifer Plecas. Reads as a level 3 book. Emma's Yucky Brother is a story that any kids with siblings can relate to. Emma's brother is adopted, so it's also great for diversity
Beverly
Emma Abarca
Jun 12, 2015
Morgan
Oct 21, 2017
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.

I Can Read: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • It's Christmas!
  • My Parents Think I'm Sleeping
  • Small Wolf
  • Minnie and Moo: The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Weather: Poems for All Seasons
  • Wanted Dead or Alive (Minnie and Moo)
  • Hill of Fire