Start by marking “Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)” as Want to Read:
Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)

Tomahawk (Dan Lenson #5)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Tomahawk: A Dan Lenson Novel (Dan Lenson Novels)
Mass Market Paperback, 468 pages
Published January 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tomahawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomahawk

Mark Weaver
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read the other four of this series in previous years and really liked them. This one doesn't take place at sea for the most part, but is more of a history of the trial and error development of the Tomahawk missile. It's a little heavy on the technical side, but Poyer develops his characters well in this continuing saga of the life of Dan Lenson.

In this one, Lenson begins to question our nuclear program and his future in the Navy. There is plenty of intrigue and action, but in a different w
Paul J. Petersen
Jul 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Moving on to something more interesting

Dan Lenson lost his way in this book and I lost interest. At first I find myself skipping sentences and then skipping paragraphs because they hold little or no value to me. When I can skip over two or three pages it is time to stop and find a different book. I was totally bored with this one.
oliver hamilton
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story and well told

David Poyer's books are interesting in that nothing is black or white. Lenson is a flawed hero but a hero nether the less.
Looking forward the next book.

Jim Stennett
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
First half is dull as dirt, second half really picks up the pace. I still dislike the main character and not having read the previous four books in the series probably hurts my ability to do so. I doubt the Navy would allow someone working on a top secret project to move on with a girl on trial for sabotage, but what do I know?
Philip
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, war, political
I've only read one other by Poyer. It was "China Sea". Tomahawk was less about the sea and much more about naval command, soul-searching with regard to nuclear issues, and the morality of was itself. Interesting read, but for me, not as satisfying.
Ed
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
#5 in the Dan Lenson series.

Dan Lenson navel novel - Around 1982, Lenson is assigned to ready Tomahawk cruise missile for shipboard use; he gets involved with peace activists and begins to question use of force.
Bob Spiker
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of David Poyer, this book has special meaning as I was given the rare opportunity to review his manuscript prior to the book going to print. I love David's style and how he keeps the reader on the edge of their seats waiting for the next bomb to drop on poor Dan Lenson...
Marianne
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lots of really complicated engineer/speak jargon, but beautifully balanced by the sensitive writing about the inner struggles of the very real main character Dan Lenson.
Shows the hard work of the military to stay on top of things in the world.
Debra
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
strong message
TheIron Paw
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A decent "military techno-thriller" with some interesting ethical dilemmas facing the protagonist, and a touch of star-crossed romance.
Conner Christensen
Nov 07, 2012
Tgreene
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Against All Enemies (Nathan Dixon, #2)
  • The Other Side Of Paradise
  • Victory
  • Up Periscope
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • Seas of Crisis (Jeffrey Fuller, #6)
  • Sea of Gray: The Around-The-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • Navy SEALs: Their Untold Story
  • The Marines of Autumn
  • Landfall
  • Five Past Midnight
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan
More about David Poyer...

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)
  • The Weapon (Dan Lenson, #11)