Start by marking “The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1

(The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service #1)

'Your body is their business! Five young students at a Buddhist university, three guys and two girls, find little call for their job skills in today's Tokyo... among the living, that is! But all that stuff in college they were told would never pay off - you know, channeling, dowsing, ESP - gives them a direct line to the dead... the dead who are still trapped in their ...more
Paperback, English Edition, 208 pages
Published September 5th 2006 by Dark Horse Manga (first published November 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1

Start your review of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1
Sam Quixote
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
If I’d known this book was by the hack who wrote the execrable MPD Psycho I wouldn’t have bothered. Eiji Otsuka: remember this name and steer well clear - Kurosagi Corpse is gaahbage!

They’re called “kurosagi” because those are black storks that take away the dead as opposed to white storks that bring babies. That’s literally the only detail in the entire book that was worth reading. The rest of it - wow. It’s a masterclass in shite comics!

A Buddhist student needs money - so he joins a
Lois Bujold
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Manga readers with a taste for contemporary weird. Which would be many of them...
Recommended to Lois by: Friend noted seeing it in a bookstore, I got curious.
Probably pop it up one star if you like horror.

Okay then...

Horror is not my preferred reading genre, but this was pretty good. Some of the events might have been horrible, but our crew of young protagonists was charming. In brief, five unemployed students at a Buddhist university, all with talents -- some supernatural, some not, or not yet apparent -- band together to start a service finding and helping the lost, hidden, or mislaid corpses of souls unable to move on for one reason or another.
Melki
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, manga
Hundreds of people die in this country every day. How many die the way they wanted to...with all their wishes fulfilled?

If you're dead and need some tending above and beyond the usual after-death requirements, this service is for you. A gang of misfits will help you get what you need, be it vengeance on your murderer, or burial in the field of your dreams. I'm still not completely sure how they turn a profit, but they all seem to be decked out in the latest fashions, Jack Skellington barrettes
Emma Sea
This was fine. A nice idea and the art was OK without being amazeballs.

The translator hasn't shown the sound effects on each page, they're in an appendix at the back, and this was slightly frustrating. However I do like very much that there are FX for: "PORO: parts coming off face," "DO: an organ hitting floor,"and "GEBOBOBO: vomiting blood."

Image is for Steelwhisper and Kyn only. NSFW!
(view spoiler)
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

This was just so weird...but I absolutely loved it? I'll be honest, I first picked this one up because the cover is really intriguing and well designed in my opinion and it also helped that it was on sale via comixology! I didn't really know what to expect going into it as I didn't really do any research on it before picking it up. I ended up absolutely loving it! It was strange and obscure which made it the perfect read for me! I can't wait to pick up the next volumes!
Caro the Helmet Lady
Quite not bad for the first volume in series, but so far packed with many cliches - corpses with stories, quirky "everyone is special" characters, the idea of a group of students working on something - we've been there, we've seen that so many times, ah. And (view spoiler)? But I know Otsuka can create pretty crazy and paranoid stories with many surprises. I've read his MPD Psycho series 多重人格探偵サイコ 1 till I could recognize who was who (if you read ...more
Aoife
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A van these meddling kids may have, Scooby Doo this is not. Graduating from a Buddhist university with no practical skills suitable for employment a group bands together in hopes of turning their unusual skill set into something profitable (Or at least, that pays the rent)

The problem being that their skills comprise of such esoteric talents such as corpse-dowsing, ESP, channeling the restless spirits of the dead....Resolving to help the dead with their unfinished business (for a fee naturally)
Kate
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, horror, age-adult, 2011
Karatsu is a student at a Buddhist college, looking for a job now that he's graduated. For some reason one flyer jumps out at him from the job postings board, one that reads, "Let's go look at some dead people!" Little did he know what he was getting into. With Karatsu's ability to hear the wishes of dead people, the volunteer group meant to pray over the corpses of murder victims is now able to do so much more, and the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is born.

Karatsu tells the group what their
Charles Dee Mitchell
What do you do if you are about to graduate from a small Buddhist college but do not come from a priestly family and therefore have no job opportunities open to you. If you have the proper skills, and a strong stomach, you might join The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. This group sees to it that corpses abandoned in garbage dumps or found in the woods or the trunks of cars make it home to where their remains truly belong. But special skills do come in handy. One is a computer hacker; one is a ...more
Baal Of
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm on the fence about this one. The premise has potential, but the implementation is wanting. The characters, described as weird by other reviewers, are just barely that, because they are so paper thin. I picked this up because I've been desperate to find a good new horror comic, but this just doesn't fit the bill. Even though there are a few mildly gruesome images, I never felt the slightest since of dread that I can get from the best horror comics, such as those by Junji Ito, so for me this ...more
Mur Lafferty
I liked it. Could do without the frequent naked dead female bodies though. Or at least give us some naked male bodies for balance.
Michael mister.is.me
Nice, fun read, a little dark with a unique perspective.
M. A. P.
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The first volume of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service compiles the first four chapters of this still ongoing Japanese comic. The story follows a group of five recently graduated Buddhist university students working in a company dealing with delivering/disposing the dead according to the deceased's own wishes.

I started reading this due to finding the overall concept interesting, as well as for enjoying the cultural differences in funerary practices. Without any prior knowledge of the funerary
Shalor T.
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Are you dead on your feet? Do you find yourself struggling to voice your wishes to others? Then check out Kurosagi Corpse Delivery!

This manga follows a group of college graduates around as they struggle to put their talents (such as they are) to good use by discovering what the dead want & trying to fulfill their wishes. The group is mixed with one guy who can actually speak to the dead (and sometimes animate them), a woman who is a top rate hacker, a guy who can use a pendulum to discover
Mon
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Not to be confused with what Michael C Hall does in Six Feet Under (that's all I know about funeral practices), the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service doesn't bother itself with the conventional world of undertakers and those other people who dress in black in funeral homes. It's an odd mix of CSI and the Ghost Whisperer, minus the hot girl. The characters can be described as weird, and nothing much beyond that. It's a bit like a competition of 'draw the quirkiest character you can think of', and ...more
Anne Barwell
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, manga
I enjoyed this manga - sadly the library only has the first vol, and apparently there are 11 to date so I've asked them to purchase more *crosses fingers*. It's offbeat, gothic humour and the banter is great. The characters are a bit different and that's a lot of the appeal of it. One can talk to the dead, another communicates through a glove puppet on his hand who he says is an alien, another has studied embalming, another is a dowser, can't find water but great at finding dead bodies.

I enjoyed
Derek Royal
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reread in preparation for the September manga episode of The Comics Alternative: http://comicsalternative.com/manga-re.... This is one of the first examples of manga I really got to know, so I have a fondness for this series. It's like Scooby-Doo meets Rockford Files meets Stephen King.
Kristina Robbins
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was all sorts of strange. I wasn't sure about it at first but it's growing on me. Will probably get Vol. 2 from the library.
Rosie
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
If you love creepy and messed up things this is the book for you! It was just a tad too creepy for me.
Noninuna
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Goodreads' recommendation that I've tried and good job, algorithm, for pointing this to me! I give full-mark, no question asked.

It's about 5 students who're facing the impending unemployment after they graduate from a Buddhist university, creating opportunity out of the talents that they have; one mastermind, one can talk to the corpse, one can detect them, one expert in embalming and another one can channel... alien. This is what 'if you cannot have the job, create one' mentality at it

Brian Cubbage
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t read comics in years when my son found himself interested in Dragon Ball and found his way to my old comics collection. While visiting a bookstore to browse its manga section, I saw this and it piqued my interest.

I am glad I read this. It’s an interesting take on death, on Buddhism in everyday life, on young people in contemporary Japan trying to get by. As a bonus, one story revolves around a rogue insurance actuary in a way that is interesting and compelling. Making an actuary
Matt Midlock
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark and macabre concept with a heavy dose of black humor. A diverse group of misfits help to fill the last wishes of various corpses. It's a neat concept and each section tells a separate story. There's quite a few volumes, so we'll see how these stories mature and if they can sustain the momentum, but right now, I want to certainly read more.
Jana
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Yeeeaah... so this was a decent read and it had all the obscure gorey stuff I wanted it to have in there (even though most stuff honestly was pretty scary). BUT-- nothing groundbreaking here tbh. This also falls under the shounen category i think(?) so I'm not really mad at the repetitive storytelling patterns. Or I shouldn't be to say the least.
If u want gore and pretty ok but not the coolest characters on earth, this manga is for u. I appreciate the Notes written by the author and disclaimers
Zizeloni
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a group of students that can communicate somehow with corpses and try to o make a living out of it. Pleasant to read, despite the corpses. I will read the rest as well.
Kristian Dobson
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. It's reasonably okay, but for something that sounds so interesting on paper, it's presented in such a mundane way. The characters and stories are fairly generic at the moment. Maybe it gets better, but I'm in no rush to read volume 2.
Rebecca
Episodic. Feels a bit more like an anime or tv series than a manga (but I think it was adapted from one maybe? too lazy to check atm). It’s quirky and chuckle-worthy at times, creepy at others. It reminds me a little of Tales from the Crypt in that it’s not really good but it’s fun anyway. I also have to give props for creativity bc it’s not your usual take on the “medium” character.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
At times heartwarming and repulsive, this was about as cuddly as I'd ever expect Otsuka Eiji to get. I really love the premise. Think of it as a grown-up Scooby Doo, without a great dane.
Emma Schweitzer
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the 1-3 Omnibus edition. It's something totally new and a refreshingly original idea that's beautifully executed in the art and dialogue. I just wish I were better at reading Manga.
Colleen
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
With Halloween so close by I picked up the first 5 volumes of a manga series called the "Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service" at the library. The premise is that this group of students who recently graduated from a Buddhist studies college have no job prospects (which feels very very familiar...). They gang up together to form the "Corpse Delivery Service" using their "religious" skills - one can dowse and locate bodies, one can speak to the lingering spirit to hear their last wishes, and they team ...more
Eleni
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great first volume and I'm going to be reading more of this manga.

The main story is quite self explanatory in this first volume: a group of bhuddist students play paranormal detective and look for the dead to give them their last wish, which is usually either a trip home or revenge.
No character building just yet, but with these kinds of stories you don't tend to get to know main characters on a deep level.
Art style was good, and I appreciated the attention to detail on the rather morbid scenes
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, Volume 1 (Ikigami, #1)
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 2.
  • Super-Dimensional Love Gun
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • Homunculus 1
  • ハピネス 1 (Happiness, #1)
  • メイドインアビス 1 [Meido In Abisu 1] (Made in Abyss, #1)
  • Smashed: Junji Ito Story Collection
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 1
  • Museum of Terror, Vol. 1: Tomie 1
  • Frankenstein
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1)
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • Tomie
  • 不安の種 1 (Fuan no Tane, #1)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • ダウト 1 (Doubt, #1)
大塚英志

Social anthropologist and novelist. Graduated from college with degree in anthropology, women's folklore, human sacrifice and post-war manga. In addition to his work with manga he is a critic, essayist, and author of several successful non-fiction books on Japanese popular and “otaku” sub-cultures. One of his first animation script works was Maho no Rouge Lipstick, an adult lolicon OVA. Otsuka

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 2