Start by marking “The Day Metallica Came to Church: Searching for the Everywhere God in Everything” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
What do the music of Metallica and Bach, the film Crash, and stories about Batman have in common? According to author and pastor John Van Sloten, God can speak through all of them if we're listening. Out of his own often startling and sometimes wrenching journey of discovery, Van Sloten shows how God can speak to us through anything and everything heavy metal music, R-rate ...more
Published August 10th 2010 by Square Inch

To ask other readers questions about The Day Metallica Came to Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Metallica Came to Church

Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
I picked this book up in a thrift store because of the title, which is I suppose the point of stating that Metallica came to church. I had never heard of John van Sloten or New Hope Church in Calgary, but I soon found myself captivated by his journey not only through Metallica but in navigating how to reconcile Christ with the creation and culture around him. van Sloten's stories of preaching about the paintings of Vincent van Gogh, the music of Bach, or contemporary films such as Crash, No Coun ...more
Matt LeFevers
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"If all truth is God's truth, and all beauty is God's beauty, then certainly all great guitar riffs are God's great guitar riffs, and all great scientific truths are God's truths."

(My favorite quote from this very quotable book.)

I won this book from my friend's blog so it's hard to say if I ever would have heard of it otherwise, but it was easily the best book on religion that I have read in years (that was written by someone not named Rob Bell). Van Sloten's thesis is pretty much spelled out in
Blake Chenoweth
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Ever since IDS class in college, I have striven to see things that are in the world we live through a biblical worldview, and this book just brings that into reality. It is written very easily and encourages us to take every thought captive to Christ. Even if it is something like Metallica music or a Van Gogh painting or while watching movies like The Dark Knight.

From a preaching perspective though, I don't believe we should base our sermons on Metallica songs and put in a little bit of the Bibl
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I was a little put off early on when he described co-illumination, how the Bible illuminates things in culture and culture illuminates the Bible--it seemed he was downplaying the place of the Bible. But the farther I got, I realized he just didn't explain it well.

This book is a great reminder that God gave us creativity as another way of drawing us to Him. And the journey of discovery was good to the end.
In this book, Pastor John Van Sloten challenges us to have eyes, ears, minds and hearts open to seeing God at work in the world around us. All truth is God's truth, no matter the source. In it, Van Sloten demonstrates the ways that God's beautiful imagination speaks to his people in movies, art, music, our fellow human beings, architecture and so much more.

After reading this book, you'll be listening and watching in a whole new way.
Rob Tiedemann
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty awesome book. I can't say I was given any sort of epiphany ( I sorta viewed God's hand in all things the way this book describes it anyway) but it was great to hear someone else put my thoughts into words. Definitely something that should be read by all, though I do believe having an understanding of Christianity aids in understanding some of what he says.
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 Basically, Van Sloten makes a chapter out of a sermon series he on metallica, one on art, a few on movies etc. Good to be reminded that God works in all creation via both special and general revelation and common grace; however, I think I would have benefitted more from the sermons themselves rather than summaries of them in a book.
Doug Wright
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Very much the way I see the world around me now. Not a book about Metallica! Should have been called "Searching for the Everywhere God in Everything" (also includes a chapter about Metallica)...
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is quite literally a "down to earth" book calling us to develop "parable ears and icon eyes" in order to see that both creation and culture contain the vestiges of the Triune God.
Feb 26, 2011
Paul Walker
Jan 02, 2015
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
John Van Sloten is a pastor, teacher and writer who lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. For the past 20 years he's been exploring a worldview that seeks to discern God's voice in all things: the Bible, the arts, sport, science, film, music, literature, history, mathematics, nature and human nature. John's first book, The Day Metallica Came to Church: Seeing the Everywhere God in Everything (Square ...more
More about John Van Sloten...