Start by marking “The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Accessible and impassioned, here is an eye-opening look at the right wing strategy to reverse the gains American women have made over the past 50 years. The War on Choice chronicles the actions being taken at the highest levels of government to turn back the clock on women's rights.

With the White House acting in anti-choice lockstep with the majorities in both House and S
Published April 13th 2004 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The War on Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War on Choice

Shannagustafson
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There are few things that get me worked into a tizzy (which is an awesome word BTW), and antichoice actions and pro-choice rights are one of them. Who says a white man in a suit can judge how a woman handles the body? Besides, it is not a perfect world, I not anyone else is here to make someone else's decision. It takes a lifetime of experiences to guide us and determine how we get to our end point.
Carli
Gloria Feldt herself gave me this book last week after a fantastic panel discussion about feminism. How appropriate to be reading this just as the US House of Representatives passes an amendment to the healthcare "reform" bill that is the most retrogressive limitation on women's access to comprehensive health care in decades! Call your congresspeople today and urge Senators to turn down any similar language in their version of the bill. When you call your Representative, urge them to sign the le ...more
Lynda
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The only reason for 3 stars is because the book was written before consolidated war against women's contraceptive rights began to sweep through the country.

The loss of access to contraceptives would have profound impact on our way of life today: The entrance of women into the workforce, the ability to decide when and how many children a family could have, and the burgeoning care of health care in the country.

I wonder if the companies who feel they shouldn't have to pay for birth control have co
MrsRK
Oct 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
To the ones who get worked into a tizzy when someone dares to express pro-life opinions, I highly suggest they at least try to learn the pro-life points. I suggest they start with Dr. Hadley Arkes well-though book "Natural Rights and the Right to Choose"; you might like to follow it with his book "Constitutional Illusions & Anchoring Truths: The Touchstone of the Natural Law" that will explain the basis of his position on abortion. "ProLife Answers to Prochoice Arguments" by Randy Alcorn wil ...more
Chelsea
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't technically finished this yet. I'm not even close. I have to read it in stages because I get so riled up about it that I start having pretend fights with pro-lifers in my car on the way to work if I don't take it in stages. If I could control my anger towards the people who oppose this movement, I would be a much more forgiving person, but I'm not and I can't and I never want to be.
Emily Evans
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book was written a few years ago, the issues we faced then are still present today. Anyone who is at all interested in Reproductive Rights, this is a must-read.
Cbrt
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is action-packed, in this book i was hooked from the beginning.
Tamra
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics, sociology
I like the idea of this book – a history of the struggle for reproductive rights and a practical guide to what individuals can do to protect those rights. Unfortunately, the book itself had some major flaws.

One – was it just me, or was her style of writing really disjointed? It seemed like there should have been a pretty obvious linear flow, but she skipped backwards and forwards and just wasn’t at all cohesive.

Two – The book itself is really out of date and it desperately needs a website.

Three
Ellen
This book seemed like it would be interesting, but most of the issues it focused on have changed slightly in terms of legislation since 2004 when the book was written (ie, the Supreme Court upheld the "partial birth" abortion ban; and now Obama's the president and there's no more Global Gag rule). So it was somewhat outdated, and a lot of the information in here is stuff I've been following closely online anyway. It's somehow in that category of too old to be current and too new to be historical ...more
Marsha
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thorough and easy to read, Ms. Feldt digs deep in her treatise on the notion of abortion being under fire. Contrary to what many think, the attacks didn’t start under the Bush administration but began immediately after the decision to allow abortions was ratified into law. Showing the topic from many different viewpoints, the book is egalitarian, balanced and even in tone. It sounds a clear warning about this right that has come under such vicious attack and remains controversial even in the 21s ...more
Avory
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, gender
This isn't a bad overview of some of the issues involved with reproductive rights and some of the activist efforts that are taking place. However, I found it a bit slow and dry. It's a lot of preaching to the choir, and gets repetitive. It's definitely geared towards adult activists, not youth or those who need convincing.
Lacie Carmody
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up, as part of Ms. Magazine's 100 nonfiction books to read, and I was stunned at how relevant Feldt's argument and points are even today. I'll be honest, the text can be a bit dry at times, but the facts in this book particularly the way the conversation regarding reproductive rights has been hijacked are extremely important. This is definitely worth checking out.
Amanda
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
It took me forever to review this book because it took me forever to read it. This book was a lot of repeating things I already knew. It didn't keep my attention. I'd recommend this book to someone who is pro choice and wants to help the cause but doesn't know what to do yet.
Ally
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, politics
Good book but unfortunately quickly outdated, like most all of the political books I've read. This stops at 2004 right before crucial legislation is passed, and now that Obama is President, even more is changing.
Abigail
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women and men with a clue
This is for you if you are a woman or a man with a freaking clue that we live a patriarchal society with crazy right-wings trying to control our bodies. And goes to show that the sneaky underhanded actions they are trying push through will never work and what we can do to fight back.
Sarah Copenhaver
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book discusses the right-wing attack on women's rights and how to fight back. It lays out the thirty-year campaign to undermine the hard-won laws protecting a women's freedom.
Meesh
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
A bit much but informative
Katie Hanson
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
enlightening frightening
Alex
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This seems like a great book for someone who wants to learn about the anti-abortion rights movement--a little redundant for me after already studying this topic for years!
Aasellers
Kim
Jan 24, 2008
Gianna
Mar 27, 2008
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America: Freedom, Politics, and the War on Sex
  • When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
  • Moving Beyond Words
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
  • A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • Transforming a Rape Culture
  • The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Feminists Theorize the Political
  • Abortion & Life
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety
  • Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique
  • Marriage Confidential: The Post-Romantic Age of Workhorse Wives, Royal Children, Undersexed Spouses, and Rebel Couples Who Are Rewriting the Rules
Gloria Feldt is the author of the leadership and feminist theory best seller "No Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think About Power" and a nationally renowned activist and keynote speaker.

Her previous books include the New York Times bestseller "Send Yourself Roses," coauthored with actress Kathleen Turner, "Behind Every Choice Is a Story," and "The War on Choice."

People magazine calls Fel

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99