Start by marking “Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)

Hunters of the Dusk

(Cirque du Freak #7)

The pursuit begins....Darren Shan, the Vampire Prince, leaves Vampire Mountain on a life or death mission. As part of an elite force, Darren searches the world for the Vampaneze Lord. But the road ahead is long and dangerous-and lined with the bodies of the damned.
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published May 11th 2005 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hunters of the Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunters of the Dusk

Start your review of Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another adventure off to a good start.

Prince Darren, along with Larten Crepsley and Harkat Mulds, are sent off on a special mission to hunt the Vampaneze Lord by Mr. Tiny.

I really enjoy Darren as a main character. It will be interesting to see where the other takes things as the story progresses. As with the other stories in the series, the book is well written, and has no ending. I'll have to read the next book in the series to continue the plot started in this book. Which is one of my

Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
Reread: Aug-20-2019
Actual rating: 2.5 Stars

I did not really care about this book. I first read it so long ago that I felt like I was reading the book for the first time. But this time I didn't enjoy it much. Gone was the excitement and wonder of youth and I found myself bored instead.

I did not like the writing at all. The book read like the first draft of half a story. I felt like it was written in a day or two. And nothing really got concluded in Hunters of the Dusk as is the way of Darren Sh
Dante
Nov 25, 2019 added it
“A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." ...more
Shawna (SugoiShawn/SugoiReads)
This book was mainly just a filler book. Most of the book was spent setting up the rest of the series and the conflict didn't appear until the very end of this book, but I still enjoyed this one. I feel really attached to the characters and I'm always eager to find out what happens next even in the slow parts.

I have so many questions about this series though that I hoped get answered in the next books. Here's just some of my many unanswered questions (slight spoiler warning):
-Where is that kid f
Shannara
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I’m really enjoying listening to these books!! Darren Shan is growing up and becoming a much more dynamic character. I just love reading about his adventures even when the real action begins at the end of the book.

I recommend listening to these via audiobook. The narrator is good and has a nice soothing voice. Each time I finish one of these, I want to start on the next one immediately. Still keeping these reviews short because I have so many more to read!!!!
Whitney
Six years have passed since The Vampire Prince and the vampires are at war with the vampaneze. Along comes Mr. Tiny, bearing an ominous look into the future. Darren, Mr. Crepsley, and Harkat Mulds are dispatched on a mission to do the impossible; find and kill the Lord of the vampaneze. If they should fail, the destruction of the vampire world will be on their hands.

Plot

Though I found the overall plot of Hunters of the Dusk boring, I’m glad I didn’t have to sit through the six years that Darren
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

Nothing like opening a book in a series and finding out it’s skipped forward…by six years. Yes, six years. Hear me sigh in irritation.

The last book left off with a stunning revelation, but we’ve skipped forward now. Once I got past that annoying development, the story continues to demand my attention.

Darren hasn’t seemed to think or tend to the views of the former traitor he was considering before (peace treaties), and while not enjoying killing, does it with more natural ease when it’s needed.
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THIS BOOK DOES NOT have any Cirque Du Freak

Unfortunately, this book has completely veered off from the original series. I remember my first time time through it that I was throwing my hands up in the air going - where's the freaks?? I really enjoyed the first few books where they are running around with the circus - meeting all the quirky characters and getting into trouble. This book definitely feels like everyone is in for the long hall.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Ralph Lister - an excellent re
Leoni Dempsey
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte van den Berg
When a friend of mine recommended a young adult series to me about vampires I was a little hesitant. Thinking back a few years to the time I tried many vampire series friends of mine loved I almost lost interest completely. But I trusted this friend and decided to check it out. I could always stop reading after the first book. I was relieved to see that this book didn’t look like any of the other vampire books I tried to read so I didn’t have come up with an excuse why I couldn’t read this serie ...more
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book in the series is very much focused around the larger plot related to the twelve books. Whilst some of the previous books were focused more upon Darren’s experiences this one brings us back to the war which is going on.

After being visited by a character from one of the past books, our main characters find themselves at the Cirque once again. Here events are not quite what they once seemed, with questionable motives in the air. Our characters find out that completing the mission that the
Maddie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This one felt super short! Nothing really happened! At least we did learn about (view spoiler) And we went back to (view spoiler)
Who knows when I'll get to the next one, but I will see where they go next.
Martin Kurij
I found myself having to really persist with this book, the pace of it seemed very slow compared to the past books and the story a tad boring and stale at times.
I did however quite enjoy the last quarter of the book, even though it was very obvious apart from one point which was quite refreshing.
An overall mediocre read in my opinion.
pob
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book. Fun story. Great characters. Cover scares the crap out of me.
Harold Smithson
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shan's attempt to escalate his series has turned it into something completely different, and sadly one that is more predictable and much less interesting. The evocative slice-of-life scenes from the first three books are all but gone, and despite stabs at moral complexity (which were admittedly successful in the previous book) Shan's grand war plot just lacks the characterization that lent the first three books their appeal. It no longer has a unique selling point, and the structuring leaves muc ...more
Julianne
This starts with a pretty significant time jump. 6 years have passed since Darren became a vampire prince and they're training for the war against the vampaneze.

Except not a lot happens. Its actually painfully slow. Mr Tiny gives a lot of exposition. They have Vancha March, who really feels like a stand in for every other vampire we've lost in the last part of the series, join their vampaneze lord quest. They travel back to the cirque and then the book is almost over!

Theres one fight scene and s
Natalie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Etienne
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always good, this series never let me down. This one was a bit slower in term of action, but I enjoy it anyway. I like that we get back at the Cirque du Freak a bit and we get to see some of those old characters from the beginning! We continue to learn, the plot continue to evolve, we get an idea of where it goes and how it might end. I like it a lot!
Danielle Messier
I actually lost this book for quite a while... could not find it anywhere. So, anyway.

We are still following Darren as he is coming more into his role in Vampire Mountain and his duty with the prophecy. He meets up with Mr.Crepsley and the sun-loving, crazed vampire prince Varta March. They are trying to fight the Vampaneze still, and stop them from overtaking the vampires for good.
Hayli
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
It was definitely hard to follow up the previous book, and this one was definitely a lot slower in comparison. This book is the beginning of their journey that will determine their fates as Vampires, as well as the Vampaneze.
Ashley
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another okay addition to the series. Felt a bit like filler.
However... They set back to the Cirque! I really wish they could just stay there. It's comforting in a story that is basically war and killing. I love that we got to see Evra and his children. Funny that the non snake son wants to fit in. It would have been nice to revisit the others.
I want to know more about Evanna. I doubt trust her but she is by far the most interesting character so far.
Tamara
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Davidus1
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Still enjoying this series. the storyline is interesting and unexpected. If you have read previous books and enjoyed them I definitely recommend that you keep going in the series. I will be!
Kat  Hooper
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Hunters of the Dusk is the seventh book in Darren Shan’s CIRQUE DU FREAK series. Though Shan always does a nice job of quickly and sufficiently recapping the plot, it’d be best not to start here. Go back and begin with A Living Nightmare. And be warned that this review will contain spoilers for previous books.

It’s been six years since the events of The Vampire Prince. Young Darren Shan is now one of the leaders of t
Cinthia Palomino
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As Darren holds the spot of vampire price since he was supposed to be sentenced to hall of death for running away from his trials but was voted by the vampires to become prince wich was the only solution other than death. Comes a well expected vsit by all vampires, Desmond Tiny who is hated by the vampires made a prophecy talking about the Vampaneze Lord and a great war. The Vampaneze Lord is alive and traveling the world. Now, it's up to Darren Shan, Mr. Crepsley and a the Vampire Prince Vancha ...more
Cary
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Patryk Stypulkowski
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Darren Shan, now a Vampire of high standing, is sent on a mission along with an Elite Squad to eliminate the threat of the murderous Vampaneze and their Lord. Will Darren succeed, and if he does, will it have been worth it?
Expanding on the books before it, “ Hunters of the Dusk” might seem like a good book at first. It has action, as well as a fairly interesting plot. However, the problem in the last book has not been fixed. Darren Shan, a mere, young, half-vampire, is chosen by an agent of De
Eleonore
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Tiny tells Mr. Crepsley and Darren that they have to go find the Vampaneze Lord and kill him, and that only them and one other vampire that they will find later can kill him. Darren and Mr. Crepsley go to find the other vampire, so they start searching. They find Vancha March, the third vampire. All three of them want to find the Vampaneze Lord, but they don't know where to start, so they just follow their instincts. Then, they do find him, and while trying to kill him, they killed all the V ...more
Melany
This was definitely another one of the filler books. Even though this was longer than the last two, not much happened. All they did was start their journey to find the vampanze lord (view spoiler)

It was nice to back at the Cirque Du Freak and see how they've changed. I really like how the author used Evra growing up to really show how much time has passed (view spoiler)

The best part of this book was the introduction of La
Essau Alli
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is another book that is about the vampire Darren. He has become more mature and he has gained new friends that have stuck with him since he became the vampire he is now. He is now stronger then ever because of his mentor Mr Crepsly.

I can connect this book to the world because it shows that once you have someone to guide you, you will be able to accomplish what ever you want to do. In the world there are many people who like to help others with there future.

I rate this book 4 and 1/2 s

• Rogue: Untouched: A Marvel Heroines Novel
  • Running Against the Devil: A Plot to Save America from Trump — And Democrats from Themselves
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • The Book
  • The Evil Clergyman
  • The Quest of Iranon
  • What the Moon Brings
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

Cirque du Freak (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)
  • The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque du Freak #2)
  • Tunnels of Blood (Cirque du Freak #3)
  • Vampire Mountain (Cirque Du Freak, #4)
  • Trials of Death (Cirque Du Freak, #5)
  • The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6)
  • Allies of the Night (Cirque du Freak, #8)
  • Killers of the Dawn (Cirque Du Freak, #9)
  • The Lake of Souls (Cirque du Freak #10)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Cirque Du Freak, #11)