Start by marking “The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles, #2)

The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,997 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
After closing the portal to hell, Claire and her talking cat, Austin, acquired a new companion--Dean, who was a Bystander and should not have remembered Keepers existed. But with Dean around, and a little of her sister Diana's meddling--the world is heading for Chaos, and Claire is about to face a challenge beyond her wildest imagination.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Second Summoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Summoning

Lois Bujold
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed the first volume.
Recommended to Lois by: internet review
Sequel to Summon the Keeper, which should be read first. The further adventures of itinerant patcher of holes-to-evil Claire Hansen and her handsome sidekick/former innocent bystander Dean McIssac, now with added annoying teenage sister, and an inadvertently summoned angel and demon highly confused by their respective placements in gendered, fully human bodies with all that this entails. More Canadian humor, weather, scenery, and cats.

I enjoyed it enough to want to keep an eye out for the third
Andree
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
It's one of the books I semi-forgot was on my bookshelf!

Yeah, maybe 2.5 stars? Turns out there's probably a reason it took me years to get to this. I mean, I read the first one in/just after Kingston, which puts this on the shelf for probably 8ish years. I'd actually forgotten a lot of how the mythology worked. I picked it back up eventually though, well, enough to get by.

It doesn't quite get there (despite having magical cats). I do enjoy the setting. I enjoy that I pretty much know exactly whe
Matthew
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, if anything, significantly more than the first book.

This was practically a completely new adventure for Claire and Diana and it was less romancy, although sex still was a central conflict. And the cat continued to be the runaway star. This makes me want to read some of Tanya Huff's other works, despite recommendations against.

There are a lot of references to Canadian geography which are mostly relevant to locals, but its still very entertaining, the dynamics between the characte
Kristen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was okay. I didn't love it as much as the first book in the series, but I liked it enough to finish it.

This time around, I felt like the story - and the author - were trying just a tad to hard to be continuously clever with the humour and the cheek. It had its moments, but it also went over the top a lot more than I saw in book 1. I did find myself rolling my eyes at points, and thinking: "okay, already, we get it! They're clever! They're funny!"

I also felt like this book dragged a bit for
Cait
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The plot of this one doesn't do much for me, but the DETAILS pop up hilarious left and right.
Olga Godim
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This is a reread, but after a dozen years, it reads like new. And this is one of the rare cases when I want half a star: 3.5 stars.

As the second novel in a series, this one has to do with several familiar characters from book #1: Claire, the snarky Keeper, her lover Dean, and the cat Austin.
(See my review of book #1 http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)
The other players in this novel include:
• Claire’s younger sister Diana, a seventeen-year-old budding Keeper with tremendous potential
• Sam
Jeremy Preacher
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mall-elves
I scared the cats by laughing too hard several times while reading this. The idea of an angel and a demon taking flesh on Earth as hormonal teenagers during Christmastime leaves plenty of openings for hilarity, and I don't believe Huff missed a single one.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
getting just a trifle "chick-lit-y"
Ann Zdunczyk
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angel and demon!!!

Claire and Dean finally get together and there were fireworks!! Also they created and Angel that is more than an Angel and a Demon that is more than a Demon!! Diana, Claire’s sister works to release the Angel and Demon into human or at least normal beings!! Read to find out the whole story you will not be sorry!!
Jasmine
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: daw
Higher and delightful levels of canadian sass, and the glimpses into high school life for a keeper were hilarious. There was some odd undercurrent stuff about humanity and personhood being tied to having genitals (and thus a sex drive) which the story didn't quite manage to refute. So that was -- less hilarious?
Kate
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how Tanya Huff writes the perfect mix of sci-fi/fantasy that has both humor and a serious twist. No matter what series of hers I read I find myself thoroughly enjoying it. The main character in this is a kick butt heroine but not in the traditional sense and I love all of the secondary characters so very much, especially her cat.
Chrisette Trevino
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Tanya Huff has a great sense of humor & it really starts to come out in this book. This is the second book in the trilogy & continues with Claire, Dean, Austin, & more of Claire's sister, Diana. This book introduces Diana's cat, Samuel, & how he joins the group. It's definitely worth reading.
Rebecca
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this trilogy has been SO much fun! Lovers of comedy, paranormal and cats will fall into this world with relish. I really hated to see it come to an end.
Natty
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even funnier than the first, always a fun read.
Kat  Hooper
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
will review at www.fantasyliterature.com
Carolyn
Interesting premise, and good follow through.
This one gets taken on the road.
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
These are funny and totally ridiculous!
Betsy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed. Snarky and fun with a little bit of saving the world.
Patricia Bryce
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of this series and it didn't disappoint.
Back are all the wonderful personalities of the first book, and
they are joined by two new characters.
The pace of the book keeps the reader wanting more.
I won't give the story away, I'll just say this was a wild ride, and I loved it!~
Joshua Palmatier
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Tanya Huff's Keeper Chronicles series (recently released as a omnibus) and I enjoyed it more than the first. It was a little lighter in content, meaning it was more humorous, but the plot was more focused and sped right along.

It begins with the Keeper Claire and her hunky handyman Dean from the guest house in the first book traveling to close off holes that negative actions and feelings have punched in the universe, allowing darkness into our world. The sexual tension
Bruce
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's really hard to know how to categorize the Keeper Chronicles; all three books are fantasy-derived, but they're so thick with wonderful humor that it's more tempting to place them in that category.

The Second Summoning is the best of the three, especially from the humor standpoint. Claire, the Keeper from Summon the Keeper, and Dean, the Bystander who helped her and her sister close the hole to Hell, are becoming attracted to each other. Claire, however, doesn't want Dean to get hurt by the fa
Tammy
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this as much as the first book. Parts of it felt like set up for book 3, which I knew was about Diana but now assume will be about Diana and her cat. As always, the sibling rivalry and affection cracks me up. It's realistic, reminds me of me and my sister. Austin remains fantastic--catlike in his demands for food and bathroom breaks yet also wise enough to play his role as advisor.

Dean was absolutely fantastic and so very Dean in this book. He and Claire finally had sex, and it cre
Heather
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Second Summoning is every bit as funny as Summon the Keeper. It ranges from sly humor to Mel Brooks-like slapstick, and once again the cats are giving me strange looks because I’ve been laughing out loud in an empty house.

My only minor difficulty is that the humor occasionally gets quite surreal in this one, partially thanks to Diana’s sheer power level and the super-thinness of the fabric of reality in certain areas (meaning that reality doesn’t just bend in some places–it breaks, and oh th
Inara
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a weird sense of humor
Title in German:
Auf Teufel komm raus - Die Chroniken der Hüter 2

The second book in the "Keeper-Series" picks up about a week after the events at the Hotel Elysium. Claire and Dean are together on the road and are finally – after some misunderstandings – able to figure out if theyre in love or not. Of course Austin the cheeky cat is there as is Claires sister Diana. Furthermore an angel and a demon both confused about their physical bodies and its demands play a main part. They all end up togethe
Paula
Jan 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is the second in Huff's series of books, Keeper's Chronicles, following on from Summon the Keeper, and like the previous book, The Second Summoning is about Claire, whose job it is to keep Canada (and the rest of the world, of course) safe from places where the line is too thinly drawn between this world and others.

This time around, she starts with a dilemma over her relationship, not helped by cryptic advice/prophesying from her sister. Different actions taken by both Claire and her siste
Wendy
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
In the second installment of The Keeper’s Chronicles, Claire, Dean and Austin hit the road, leaving behind the guesthouse to carry on with Claire’s mission in life, to go where she is summoned, hoping to clean up the messes left behind by evil doings. A combination of a powerful feel good spell and the ultimate union between a Keeper and a pure hearted man deeply in love have unexpected consequences when an angel and a demon manifest as teenagers on earth, struggling to realize who they are and ...more
Julia
Please see the three stars as three and a half.

Claire is a Keeper, which means she is one of the Earth’s Guardians summoned to where anomalies exist and getting rid of them. (Yes, she is a sort of a one-person Torchwood, but in a fantasy mileau.) Except that she also has her talking cat, Austin, her hunky Newfie boyfriend Dean, and more often than not her sister Diana. That I read this fun and funny book on Canada Day weekend, upped the fun quotient. Song it’s most like: "I’ve Been Everywhere,”
Peter Tillman
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Keeper Chronicles:
Summon the Keeper (1998, mmpb), #1
The Second Summoning, (2001, mmpb), #2
---------------------------------------------------
These are light, clever, agreeably-girly fantasy-romances set in Canada, featuring Claire, a modern-day witch; Austin, her familiar, an elderly, smartmouth cat; Dean, Claire's Newfie boyfriend; Diana, Claire's witchy teenage sister; and the Powers of Darkness!

The first book introduces the characters, who must close a Doorway to Hell in a rundown B&B
Nicole
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who love fantasy...and cats
I picked up the Keeper Chronicles after reading/watching Tanya Huff's Blood Ties series. (Now a tv series on Lifetime.) I really like Tanya Huff's ability to write a good book with likeable characters...and I love her great sense of humor!

The star of this series, in my eyes, is the cat, Austin. He talks...in exactly the way you would expect a cat to talk. He knows everything, is full of attitude and actually made me laugh out loud while reading this book (on a plane).

This trilogy is just a lot o
Text Addict
A fun book, in which it's the job of the Keepers to prevent evil and chaos from breaking into the world, possibly upsetting the balance of things and leading to dire consequences. But it doesn't take itself all that seriously, what with accidental angelic manifestations, confused demons, freight train metaphors, talking cats, and so forth. Also people trying to do good and making a few mistakes along the way.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of Diane Duane's Wizards series, which is not a bad thin
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Vamparazzi (Esther Diamond, #4)
  • Digital Knight
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • The Wizardry Compiled (Wiz, #2)
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff

Keeper Chronicles (3 books)
  • Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)
  • Long Hot Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #3)
“Dexter thrust a pamphlet into Samuel's hand. "Greenstreet Mission. We're doing a Christmas dinner. You can get a meal and hear the word of God."
Samuel smiled in relief. This, finally, he understood. "Which word?"
"What?"
"Well, God's said a lot of words, you know, and a word like 'it' or 'the' wouldn't be worth hearing again but its always fun listening to Him try and say aluminum.”
11 likes
“What are you on, Samuel?"
This was easier, he glanced down. "Laminate.”
8 likes