Start by marking “The Heart of a Family: Searching America for New Traditions That Fulfill Us” as Want to Read:
The Heart of a Family: Searching America for New Traditions That Fulfill Us

The Heart of a Family: Searching America for New Traditions That Fulfill Us

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Parents today face an uphill battle: How can they make a haven of home and create treasured traditions when family time is besieged on every side? As a new mother, Meg Cox faced these concerns and began a quest to find new   traditions powerful enough to compete with the distractions and dislocations of contemporary life.  In this warm and wise book, Meg Cox shares what sh ...more
Published September 29th 1998 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of a Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of a Family

Richard
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book awhile ago but never added it to my Goodreads list. As first daughter is approaching motherhood, I dragged it out and foisted it upon her. If you are early in your motherhood/fatherhood, I think it deserves reading. You can probably get the heart of it out of the first section and then read selectively through the rest. I heartedly endorse it.
DixieJo
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I wannnnnnnt to like this book more than I do. I wanted this book to be so fulfilling that I would lose my own desire to write a book about traditions. This one is better than I have read but it nearly bores me to tears. To much story-format for the substance. Well rounded stories - lesbian couples to latter-day saint family home evenings. But I would be finished, or at least finish it, if it held my attention at all. I believe it will go back to the lirbary before I get through it.
Al
Aug 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
she had a lot of interesting ideas to celebrate everything from Halloween to Easter to Passover. however it got pretty boring hearing example after example after example of peoples traditions. not much thought in this book, just a collection of examples. must admit i skipped a few pages here and there and it didnt matter the least bit.
Andrea
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
There's nothing quite like being quoted repeatedly in a book to make it a must-read. I had extensive email conversations with the author while she was writing this and truly enjoyed contributing to it and seeing the finished product. Plus I do love seeing my name and words in print.
Claudia
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Cox is a former Wall Street Journal reporter and conducted a ton of interviews in writing the book. She shares the rituals families across the country have adopted for well-known and lesser-known holidays. Also includes rational for why families should pay attention to their ritual building.
Clarissa
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-books
A wonderful and inspiring book that provides many great ideas for traditions you can use or create with your family.
Mariya
Sep 22, 2010 marked it as to-read
Jeanna
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I love the idea of making new holidays and traditions to emphasize the things that really matter to you.

It is the repetition that adds power and sweetness to shared family memories.

Kameron
May 12, 2015
Nanette
Dec 25, 2013
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Good but long and repetitive.
Jessica Stortz
Aug 16, 2014
Kacy Faulconer
rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2007
Born in Cleveland. Lifelong book lover, and class librarian in 6th grade.
Writing professionally since 1975 graduation from Northwestern, with a degree in English.
Staff writer for the Wall Street Journal for 17 years in Chicago and New York, covering beats from financial futures and agriculture to the business of the arts and publishing.
Freelancing since 1994: writing 5 books and hundreds of magaz