Start by marking “The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark” as Want to Read:
The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark

The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  670 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
The Red Book is nothing less than a spiritual fire starter -- a combustible cocktail of Hindu Tantra and Zen Buddhism, Rumi and Carl Jung, goddesses and psychics, shaken with cosmic nudges, meaningful subway rides, haircuts, relationships, sex, dreams, and intuition. Author Sera Beak's unique hybrid perspective, hilarious personal anecdotes, and invaluable exercises encour ...more
Published (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Book

Kimberley
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up in an environment that exposed me to a lot of different religions... Protestant, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Catholic, Seventh Day Adventist, etc.

As I got older I found that more and more people would tell me that I had to choose one religion as the "right" religion. What was so confusing to me was that they ALL said their religion was the one that needed to be followed in order to get into heaven. This caused me to fall away from churches in general because I didn't know WHO was right
Tristy
When my mother gifted me this book and I flipped through it, I thought "Uh oh! Chick Lit meets Spiritual How-To? No thanks," and I put it aside. But then I found myself in a funk and needed a light, spiritual, female-focused pick-me-up and I picked up this book. What a sweet little gem! Sera Beak's style is very conversational, which I often find extremely annoying, but she pulls it off. She felt like a sweet girlfriend that I could respectfully tease the world with. She's got a great approach t ...more
Áine
Super cute, of this moment, chock full of references, an affirmation. Like Bust magazine, Sage Woman, and Shambhala Sun are in a women's group together. The style was a little over the top for me, (re: Bust, women's maggy), but the voice was exciting to hear. Representing young spiritual women that don't buy totally into anything without a healthy dose of skepticism. I would've appreciated an explanation of her philosophy of Red. (Later: ....oh, that's her next book.) Recommended for other up-an ...more
Veneta
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was an excellent way to kick start our book club. It stimulated conversation that may not have ever been brought up otherwise.

It would be wise to start a discussion on this with the question of, "what is your religious upbringing?"

Written to stimulate thought on spirituality. Great if have never questioned why you believe or don’t believe what you do. The writing style is very simple and kind of fun. Written like sort of like a Cosmo (which can be good or bad).

My favorite chapters w
Uglyoldwitch
I think I read this book at the wrong point in my life. Had I stumbled upon it ten or fifteen years ago (before it was written, lol) it may have had more of an impact on me. As it was, I abandoned it about three chapters in. I haven't discarded it - simply returned it to my shelf - I'm not convinced it WON'T be helpful to me at some point.

This is very, very spiritually based (which is great), but just coming off of Steven Pressfield's "The War of Art", I was looking for more of the divine-spark-
Jude Arnold
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This delicious little book is all it's cracked up to be, delightful and insightful. My favorite of the large variety of subjects touched upon were these two: sexuality is part of our spirituality; and after anything that has vibrated together no matter how separated or far apart they maintain that vibratory connection.
Lindsay
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author is very knowledgeable about a variety of traditions, and her discussion was positive and interesting at times. That said, most of the book felt like a remedial course to me. I appreciated the middle to end which involved more practical ideas and I look forward to checking our her reading list, which she provides in the back.
Leire Saldivar
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro maravilloso que habla sobre espiritualidad y muchas otras cosas, me parece que al principio fue un poco díficil de aceptar las ideas que presenta pero conforme avanzas se va volviendo más ligero y vas entendiendo cada parte de la estructura que maneja.
Súper recomendado.
Liyana Silver
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic. A cult classic! A permission-granter for women anywhere and everywhere to claim that divine looks like us, and can be accessed anywhere and anyhow we say it can. Sera Beak is a true original and huge-hearted voice.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
While I am not Beak's intended audience -- and, I confess, this was a small distraction as I began reading and she reminded her readers, more than once, that they are smart, twenty-something, post-modern women -- I moved past this snag with every intention of enjoying a slightly smug read of one more woo woo crystal approach to "get your spiritual feel-good on."

Well, her Harvard degree in mysticism and comparative religion, evidenced by her engaging, liberally-foot-noted prose, quickly reduced
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book as I was searching for Jung titles, believe it or not. The title was intriquing and I thought, "hey, getting the 'ol divine spark would be good." so I trooped myself over to the library and picked it up. It was a nice new perspective on finding a pathway to our own spirituality. It never takes itself too seriously but also maintains a solid integrity that many current "self-help" and/or "new age-y" titles tend to sacrifice for the sake of readership.
Sera has a wonder
L.A.
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Spirituality 101 for older teens and twentysomethings.

The reason there are many paths to the mountain is because different approaches appeal to different people. Beak's approach is one that will resonate with new adults, especially if they're of the sassy or quirky variety. The contents aren't anything we haven't seen before: setting intentions, the nature of god/dess, prayer/ritual, dreams, intuition, etc.; the presentation, however, is light and playful, perfect for anybody who might be close
Kellie
I am just 16 pages into this book, and already have much food for thought. The author writes about a very tricky subject with flare, and fun. She discusses some aspects of many different religions and the shift of cultures away from a patriarchal view to more earth, feminine influences and how this effects everything from
religions to the Marlboro Man. She uses lots of luscious language and focuses a lot on finding what is right for each individual in the spiritual realm whatever form it might t
Mary
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be one of my all time favorite books ever! I downloaded this book on my Kindle after hearing Sera Beak interviewed by Dr. Oz on Oprah and Friends XM Radio the beginning of the year. After listening to her interviewed I knew that I had to read her book. She is funny, very knowledgeable of different religions and cultures of the world. She weaves different culture, religions into her own. Her book is one that I had to enjoy in little chunks. I highlighted and took lots of notes while re ...more
Alex
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Beak's writing bursts with sass, and her message on spirituality is refreshingly progressive. She reiterates several times that her book is not the be-all end-all of finding yourself.

I found her take on prayer particularly memorable, in that it doesn't even have to be verbal, but can be artistic expression as well. There are some things I'm just not sure are for me, like conjuring up a personal altar in my home, but overall I think this was a good primer to spirituality and soul-searching. There
Tristan
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't entirely sure I was an atheist, I just found trouble believing one specific religion was the correct one. This book definitely helped guide me into understanding spirituality by gazing into several religions and recognizing a common thread. The book relies on meditation and learning to listen to your soul. Sera Beak writes as if she's having a one-on-one with you. A woman who can say shit and divinity in the same sentence is my kind of woman. She challenges your conditioned perception o ...more
Jill Lemaster-moore
Probably one of my favorite books I own and have passed on to my daughter to read. I like she pulls from many traditions and religions instead of focusing on one. I have never forced a religion on my children and have let them come to decide for themselves so this was a right along with that. This is a spiritual GIRL POWER book and filled with lots of tidbits about how to connect to the Universe and yourself. It moves fast, reads quickly but is filled with so many ideas that you find yourself ki ...more
Marjanne
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a little bit of everything. It is definitely geared toward women, though I suppose men might get a little something out of it too. I liked that the author discusses such a variety of religions, beliefs, and spiritual practices. I appreciate that she encourages the reader to test their beliefs and rely on their own sense of what’s right and what works for them. There is a little bit that seemed too much for me (meshing spirituality and quantum physics, quoting questionable studies, ...more
Kim
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a fun read and look forward to discussing it with a group of lovely ladies. I like her open-mindedness and studies of various religions to back up what she's saying. The threading of a new age hipness woven through the prose got a little tedious at times, but was always redeemed with some profound wisdom that resonated within. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to those trying to find their 'Higher Power.'
Shira
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, hip, fast-paced, very girly (in a good way) inspiring little read about getting in touch with your own spirituality. Really just a friendly, forceful push to read some of the more academic writings on spirituality, Buddhism, Jainism, Juddaism, Christianity, Meditation, Yoga, sex and really anything and everything in-between, that you feel could lend spiritual guidance to you. A fun read for anyone needing a little inspiration.
Josie
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I put this somewhere in the 3.5 range.

This book would be great for a woman a bit younger than me who is interested in meditation and thinking about spirituality and creativity in a non-patriarchal, non big white guy in the sky, way. I enjoyed it because it was a good reminder of the things I already want in my life, but it definately was designed for a woman much younger than me who is newer to this way of thinking. For me, it was a bit on the reductive side.
Jeanne
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who would like the divine to slap them on the ass
"The Red Book is nothing less than a spiritual firestarter-- a combustible cocktail of Hindu Tantra and Zen Buddhism, Rumi and Carl Jung, goddesses and psychics, shaken with cosmic nudges, meaningful subway rides, haircuts, relationships, sex, dreams, and intuition. "

I absolutely agree with the above description written on the back of the book. Imagine if "Pronoia" was written specifically with women in mind. This would be close to the end product.
Krista Skene
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine bought this for me. She knew I was struggling with 'what to believe'. I am not religious at all, but I would love to have something in my life. I was really inspired by the way that she tackled many different ideas with such gusto. This book made me feel okay about what I believe or want to corporate into my life.
Ronda
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many here, I wish I'd found this book as a younger woman. It's an excellent nudge towards a more active pursuit of the Divine, but lacks ... teeth. With due respect to the author, because I admire what she's doing with her mind, her time, and her energy, this felt a bit like spiritual Cosmo.
Bella
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I just got a spiritual hug from a kindred soul. I read this book after reading Sera's autobio and that book nor this book disappointed me one bit. It's recharged me on many levels. I want to find more books like this! Speaking of, she gives a great list of books that have inspired her.
Joy
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Just found it at the book store
This was a fun book. It was written for younger women who are just starting to explore spirituality that might be different from the traditions they were raised in, so much of what the author said I've thought about or run across before. However, it was fun, creative and a good boost of inspiration to remind me to stay on my own path.
Rio
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing read. Sera is a vivacious, passionate woman talking about spirituality and how it can be added into our lives in a more unorthodox way, which is nice for those of us who tend to see things a little differently. She gets you thinking about things in a different way.. which is always a good thing.
Steven Walker
Nov 05, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in Borders by pure coincidence and couldn't put it down, so I decided to buy it. So far, I really like the author's witty, down-to-earth, friend-to-friend style of writing. I also found each page I've so far looked at to be a treasure of imaginative insights. I look forward to reading it at length.
Holly
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women sisters wives,mothers lovers
Recommended to Holly by: My Intuition and Curiosity
This book is 6 out of five stars! Sera is amazing, sexy, sensual and wise. Very playfully written. Sera's irreverent tone fails to hide here deep and profound wisdom. She will vibrate light sex and love down into your toenails while hitting your soul on the way by.
Meg
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites stylistically. The author's voice really shines through. Every girl should have this on her shelf. Very fun read and a unique perspective on spirituality. One of my all time favorites comes highly recommended. Funny too.
  • Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • A Woman's Journey to God
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
  • Soulcraft: Crossing into the Mysteries of Nature and Psyche
Sera Beak is a world-traveled Harvard-trained scholar of comparative religion and an intrepid spiritual cowgirl. Her first book, The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark, is aimed at jaded, yet still spiritually curious young women, although the material speaks to all ages and genders. She calls the book a firestarter. Sera is called a woman who is hands down t ...more
More about Sera J. Beak...
“See, sexuality is less about the actual act of having pretty good sex for seventeen minutes twice a week and much more about surrounding yourself with an ever simmering sensual energy, pulsing just underneath your daily life and infusing almost everything you do. It's like you're always just a little bit horny, just a little turned on, but the object of your gentle lust isn't just your lover, it's divine life itself.” 9 likes
“My sense of self has expanded and contracted like a schizophrenic accordion. I have questioned everything, and I have felt nothing. I have told the universe to f**k off, and I have fallen down weeping at its compassionate response.” 7 likes