Start by marking “Rasta and Resistance: From Marcus Garvey to Walter Rodney” as Want to Read:
Rasta and Resistance: From Marcus Garvey to Walter Rodney

Rasta and Resistance: From Marcus Garvey to Walter Rodney

Rasta and Resistance is a study of the Rastafarian movement in all it's manifestations, from its evolution in the hills of Jamaica to its present manisfestations in the streets of Birmingham and Shashamane Settlement in Ethiopia. It traces the cultural, political and spiritual sources of this movement of resistance, hightlighting the quest for change among an oppressed peo ...more
Paperback, First American Edition, 250 pages
Published February 1st 1987 by Africa World Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Rasta and Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rasta and Resistance

The Africans Who Wrote the Bible by Nana Banchie DarkwahThe Rastafari Ible by Jahson Atiba I. AlemuThe Kebra Nagast by Gerald HausmanMy Life and Ethiopia's Progress by Haile Selassie IKebra Nagast by Anonymous
Rasta Books
22 books — 22 voters
Talking Back by bell hooksBuck by M.K. AsanteIt's Bigger Than Hip Hop by M.K. Asante Jr.The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoAssata by Assata Shakur
#KweliClub
49 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesandre
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great history of the Afro-Caribbean diaspora as well as the religious, social, and political movements from the slave revolts to the twentieth century. One of the most memorable reads from my college years.
Christopher
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
An extremely worthwhile look at the Rastafarian movement in the Caribbean from a socio-political perspective. Horace Campbell is in many ways an intellectual heir to work of Walter Rodney.
Patrick Miller
very good book to read about the struggle of live in jamaica.
Rasta resistance is a powerful books its a must read.
Carlos Llosa
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Professor Campbell does a concise study of the rastafari and reggae -- the music of the rastafari. Its very interesting to see the panafrican context in which the rastafaris emerged, and how it was shaped by key moments-like the Ethiopian Revolution and the DEA intervention in Jamaica. This book is nice if one tries to understand Reggae songs, as they could be politically charged and thus deserve to be listened thoroughly-- not a thing we tend to do in our consummerist societies.
This book also
Robert
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I am interested in reggae music. I decided to delve a little deeper to learn about the Rastafari movement. I am happy I did. Of course, it is easy to debunk the movement, imo. This is one of the books I read in my study.
Ryan
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Ever feel like a dread in a Babylon?
Firoze

• Rastafari: Roots and Ideology
  • Selected Writings and Speeches of Marcus Garvey
  • Il nipote del Negus
  • The Incorporation of America: Culture and Society in the Gilded Age
  • Creole Religions of the Caribbean: An Introduction from Vodou and Santera to Obeah and Espiritismo
  • Going Nucular: Language, Politics and Culture in Confrontational Times
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • The Seduction of Unreason: The Intellectual Romance with Fascism from Nietzsche to Postmodernism
  • No Place of Grace: Antimodernism and the Transformation of American Culture, 1880-1920
  • From Columbus to Castro: The History of the Caribbean, 1492-1969
  • Captains Of Consciousness: Advertising And The Social Roots Of The Consumer Culture
  • The Stammering Century
  • The Kebra Nagast: The Lost Bible of Rastafarian Wisdom and Faith from Ethiopia and Jamaica
  • The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics
  • The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual: A Historical Analysis of the Failure of Black Leadership
  • My Life and Ethiopia's Progress: The Autobiography of Emperor Haile Sellassie I Volume One: 1892-1937
  • Writings: The Suppression of the African Slave-Trade / The Souls of Black Folk / Dusk of Dawn / Essays