Start by marking “Spiky, Slimy, Smooth: What Is Texture?” as Want to Read:
Spiky, Slimy, Smooth: What Is Texture?

Spiky, Slimy, Smooth: What Is Texture?

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Soft, sticky, bumpy, prickly--textures are all around us. Beautiful photographs and accessible text invite readers to explore the textures of blankets, mud, cakes, cactuses, and much more.
Published April 1st 2011 by Millbrook Press (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spiky, Slimy, Smooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiky, Slimy, Smooth

Tina
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
**Provided by NetGalley/Publisher for honest review**

I must say that Texture is a very hard subject to talk about sometimes, particularly with ESL/Second Language learners who have very little experience with vocabulary. Also my students also seem to have little back ground other than with simple texture vocabulary. Words like smooth, hard, and soft are easy to come up with but harder or more descriptive and juicy words are not as common (aha I used a texture word!)

I loved the bright colorful pi
David
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spiky, Slimy, Smooth: What Is Texture? by Jane Brocket looks at objects featuring a variety of textures that feel different.

Photographs of objects up close clearly show different textures. Among objects pictured are slippers, frosted cake, jam, mud, flower heads, powdered cookies, cactus, pebbles, candy wrappers, watermelon, squash, oily tomatoes, raw eggs, lettuce, apples, snow, pipes, tiles, blankets, quilts, appricots, peaches, butterflies, brushes, bricks & stones, candy, old leaves and
Jill
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ra-shortlist
This book has truly wonderful photo illustrations that do a fabulous job of emphasizing the concept of texture, and giving a powerful visual to the vocabulary in the book. The book is stuffed with vocabulary, and I like that it gives the words for both the concrete object in the photo (slippers), and then words for several abstract concepts about texture (soft and fluffy), followed by even more words that help describe those abstracts (tickle and warm). The sentences are informative, but brief-- ...more
Savi Malfitano
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Savi by: netGalley/ Publisher
This book discusses the plethora of textures all around us in a fun and colorful way. This is a picture book like no other because once we are shown the pictures, the words following describe what that specific texture feels like. The photography is amazing! The pictures really pop and will capture the attention of its readers. After every picture, we're given a description of how the item feels. I really loved that the author did that because not all children are exposed to the things in the bo ...more
The Library Lady
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Non-fiction picture books, when done well, are a treasure. And this one is a treasure.
The photographs are worthy of the greats of picture book non-fiction-- people like Margaret Miller,Tana Hoban and Bruce McMillan. The textures positively POP on the pages and the text words are perfectly chosen to evoke sensations. I am off to check if there are more books available in this series which is entitled, most deservedly, "Jane Brocket's Clever Concepts".
Emily
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book's lush photo close-ups will inspire readers to spend a whole afternoon (or preschool class) together exploring amazing textures. A solid preschool-level intro packed with good vocab ("Look at all these different squash! Some are plain and smooth. Some are knobbly and warty. And some are curvy and lumpy"..."Raw eggs are wobbly and runny and slimy". Read it, then touch ALL the things!
Lorna
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Beautiful book -- the pictures are amazing! You can almost feel them with her descriptions. I was hoping this might be a series (based on the title) and I see there is supposed to be one about colors later this year. Excellent introduction to the sense of touch for the younger set!
Christine Turner
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-non-fiction
Introduces the concept of texture and how it can be determined through touch, and identifies objects with different types of textures, including fluffy slippers, sticky jam, and spiky cacti.

Note: Provides great photograph illustrations.
Allison Parker
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great concept book full of fun vocabulary for describing how things feel.
Jocelyn
Aug 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: toddler-time
This would be good for storytime and bring in some of the items.
Kim
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
An inviting exploration of the sense of touch. You'll want to taste the foods too - cake, apricots, melons. Large photos work well for sharing with a group.
Annie
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Illustrated with amazing colour photographs, this is a wonderful introduction to the concept of texture.
Samantha
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent photos, good variety of textures represented (many that could be found in one's immediate environment), good descriptive language used to describe the different textures! LOVE this book!
Heather
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
great colorful texture pictures
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The photography and design of this book are beautiful, and there aren't many (or any?) other good books explaining texture to young kids.
Miss Sarah
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
a book about the feel of different objects around kids everyday lives. Okay but didn't grab me like others from this author.
Shanshad Whelan
Mar 21, 2012
Meghan Nels
Aug 06, 2014
[From the author's website:]

My first book The Gentle Art of Domesticity was published by Hodder & Stoughton in October 2007. My second book Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer was published by Hodder & Stoughton in July 2008 and my third book with Hodder Ripping Things to Do was published in July 2009. September 2008 saw the publication in the USA of The Gentle Art of Domesticity by STC Crafts/Mel
More about Jane Brocket...