Start by marking “Tunnels of Blood (Cirque du Freak #3)” as Want to Read:
Tunnels of Blood (Cirque du Freak #3)

Tunnels of Blood

(Cirque du Freak #3)

Darren, the vampire's assistant, gets a taste of the city when he leaves the Cirque Du Freak with Evra the snake-boy and Mr. Crepsley. When corpses are discovered--corpses drained of blood-- Darren and Evra are compelled to hunt down whatever foul creature is committing such horrendous acts. Meanwhile, beneath the streets, evil stalks Darren and Evra, and all clues point t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Tunnels of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tunnels of Blood

Start your review of Tunnels of Blood (Cirque du Freak #3)
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, ya-series
Definitely NOT a Twilight lovestory

Darren and Evra the Snakeboy join Mr. Crepsley (Darren's guardian/vampire sire) as he tries to suss out who is going on a murder-spree in town. We are introduced to the Vampaneze - semi-evil vampires (they are only semi-evil based on their philosophy on killing humans).

Note series is geared towards boys - action, adventure, blood, guts and gore. Which, I found equally enjoyable when I was a middle school girl first reading this series. However, during my rerea
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The best in the series so far.

If you're a teenager and you haven't read these books you really should. There are no sparkling vampires, no boys and girls staring at each other across the school cafeteria. It’s just a book about blood sucking vampires. Just the way it should be!

To read my review of the other books in this series, use the links below:

Book One: A Living Nightmare
Book Two: The Vampire's Assistant
Book Four: Vampire Mountain
Book Five: Trials of Death
Boo
Etienne
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Darren Shan/Cirque du Freak series. A book that really is mixing well the action elements with the more dramatic one. We get to see Darren evolve in his new identity and even if he gain some we also get to see what he has to leave behind and what he will never be allow to have and this duality is something that make this series interesting and deeper then most kids series. I also really enjoy the vampire/horror part that make this series good and just achieved the right ...more
Niki
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The third installment in the Darren Shan saga gets 3 stars, unlike the scores the previous ones got (2 stars) because the saga stepped up its game now (FINALLY)

This one was written better (slightly), not as predictable, and all around more interesting. I'm pleased.
Mission Blue
Aug 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: english
I don't know why I keep torturing myself by reading this series. Poor plot, awful characterization and the worst writing style ever, are the things that bother me the most.

When I compare this series to Demonata, I can see while both of them have so many flaws, Demonata was so much better than this one. It had a solid story behind all the books and each character had a single book devoted to him/her so I could actually feel something for them when one of them died.

The story goes on so slowly whil
Dan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
These books just keeps surprising me. I just love Darren so much asdjgfjfsdjfj My inner fanboy is breaking out
description

Seriously though, this is the third book in the Saga Of Darren Shan and I absolutely LOVE these books. They are so fast-paced and so entertaining. I could not put this book down. Amazing plot, amazing characters (Mr Crepsley and Evra are so amazing just ahdshfsdghdsdasja) and amazingly written. Fans of the Percy Jackson series need to read these books NOW!
Nic Echo
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Tesk
About the Book:
About a year and a half has passed since Darren's last adventure. This time a Vampire General has made contact with Mr. Crepsley. After the meeting, Crepsley, Darren, and Evra leave the Cirque. In the city they inhabit, Crepsley ends up going off by himself at night without explanation. Evra and Darren think nothing of this until they see the news: six bodies have been found drained of their blood. So the two boys start to follow Crepsley to whether he is the villain.

Review:
I hone
Markus
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
By far the best so far in this series! Darren really grew as a character in this book, he started to realize that he has to accept this new life of his. Mr. Crepsley was perfect as always and even though I missed the circus and the other "freaks", I loved them being in a new location. The Hemlock family was a great addition, Debbie was adorable. And have I already talked about the ending? It was superb! You kind of knew what was going on wasn't real, but no other real solutions came to mind eith ...more
Lauren
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, that took me ages to get through. Also, why hasn't anyone questioned Darren's pirate costume?!
Nels
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
A fun quick read.
Rachel Bea
consistently solid series. wasnt my favorite out of the first three but I really liked the villain and how it introduced some new concepts to vampire lore.
Davidus1
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire
Still enjoying the series. The books have a youthful point of view. The story is interesting and I will continue the series. Definitely different than the movie. (normally books are very different)
Julianna Martinez
Pages: 224
Genre: Fiction
Reading Level of book:

Exposition (4-6 sentences)
Darren has to go on an adventure with Mr. Crepsley. Mr Crepsley has business to do in a small town. Darren did not want to go because he did not want to leave the circus and his best friend Evra, the Snake Boy. Mr. Crepsley said that Evra can come to accompany Darren. Darren was so excited he went to ask Evra. Evra wanted to go, but he had
Nikki
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Riding the extreme high from the second book, I sought this one out for purchase and finished in one sitting like the others. Being that it is a little over two hundred pages, packs plenty of action within it's paper walls, and delivers outstanding suspenseful scenes filled with genuine drama, emotion, and powerful contradictions, it's a breeze to absorb, leaving you wanting even more at the end.

While I did not like this one quite as much as the powerful, unforgettable second, this was still a m
Alex
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Tunnels of blood was a very weird, but an interesting book. Its about vampires. The main character of this book is Darren Shan, he is a half vampire, he hasn’t fully became a total vampire yet. He is the assitant of another vampire named Mr.Crepsly. They both are apart of circus outside of town. My favorite character in this book would have to be Evra, Darrens bestfriend. Evra is a snake boy, he has scales and everything like a snake would have. Him and Darren were good friends from the circus. ...more
Luisnunez
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Becky
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how fast I can get through these books, they just keep getting better and I am totally addicted.
Darren is starting to get used to life as a half-vampire and spending his time with Mr Crepsley and the Cirque, but something comes up that draws them away from the troupe and back into a busy city. Once there Mr Crepsley starts to disappear more often and Darren wants to know why, then there is news of human killings and he starts to worry about Crepsley's movements. With Evra the snake boys
Lorien
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
I have to admit, I forgot most of the plot of this one, such as the prologue and what was going on. Darren is out of the Cirque with Evra and Crepsley in a different town, but with Crepsley gone every night for no apparent reason, and bodies drained of blood turning up in a warehouse, Darren's unsure of Crepsley's involvement.

First of all I adore Debbie and I'm said it ended like it did, but they're so CUTE! OMG I WANT MORE! (and that wish is sorta granted but MORE OF THAT LATER) Seriously, I sh
Elio Zebinato
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It was able to excel its predecessor. It still has the same heroes and now they have to face a new challenge. The setting changes to a more city-like place. The vampire mentor of Darren is now very seclusive. He became quiet and focuses on other things than Darren. His snake-like friend is still there and now they act as if they are brothers. They are free to explore the city on their own and meet other people. However, this happy and free tone does not come alone. It also ...more
Yumi Learner
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Have you read Daren Shan series before? I'm reading the third book in English to improve my reading skills, and I'm involved in it! This book series is the best that I've read before, and I sometimes forget that I'm reading in English.

It's hard for me to find certain books in English that I can enjoy with my current skills because my reading skills are not the same as my reading abilities in Japanese. So, when I found the book series, I was very happy. The books are written for children, but yo
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Newly endorsed by J.K. Rowling, this third book in the Cirque du Freak series follows the vampire's assistant Darren Shan and his Master Mr. Crepsley in an adventure under the streets of a nameless city that turns out to be Mr. Crepsley's old stomping grounds. An altercation with an old nemesis follows when Darren's friend and traveling companion Evra the snake boy is kidnapped by a vampanese.

Gorier than the other books, Tunnel of Blood also incorporates a love interest for Darren. Fans of vampi
Waverly Nyx
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
The fact that I've read this books a billion and one times, and can now read them out of order and still 110% understand them says a lot. There aren't many books I can reread as though it's the first time, but this entire series does that to me. I absolutely LOVE these books, every last one of them. I literally want to read them all again right now but I have other things (LIKE A 400+ LONG TBR) to get on with. Alas, it's time to read something else. But I'll come back Darren, I'll always come ba ...more
Chafic (Rello)
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
As much as I loved this series growing up - these titles man... they're just so edge-lord.
Growing up as a teenage goth kid emo wannabe rocking the all-black look - I can't help but feel a certain kinship with Darren Shan (who's both the author and the main character) - who wouldn't want to become the personal assistant of a vampire?

To be honest, this is a good book - it's a small glimpse of an excellent series.
It's short, it's action-packed, it's got my homeboy snake-boy Ezra, get schwifty with
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the book which really opens up the twists and turns which are to come in the rest of the series.

We move forward again, on from the Cirque and into the city. Here Darren continues to grow as a character and the evil within the series is really uncovered. A lot is found out or hinted at about the characters and the book universe meaning you will be picking up the next book in next to no time at all to see exactly what happens next.
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
Loved installment number 3 just as much as I enjoyed the first 2 in the series. The story packs a punch and is full of so much action. Reading this again after so many years I'm able to see it again through new eyes so to speak. I think the extremely quick and out of the blue shot at 'romance' was a bit random and somewhat unnecessary but due to the age range this is aimed at I can see why it was done. I'm looking forward to book 4.
David
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
While the first book has not yet been equalled, this remains a good series. The books are short, but true page-turners. My only complaint is how Darren continues to go through each book with arrogant defiance against his mentor, often excessively whiny about it. This should be expected at least once, but it's growing old as a formula. I guardedly hope that this is a character's growing pain that will fade as the plot turns in upcoming books.
Martin Kurij
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more enjoyable read than the vampires assistant.
Darren is settling into being a half-vampire a lot more in this book but situations pull on his human side which he holds onto. I enjoyed the brief romantic encounter and the bitter sweet ending.
Imogen Reeves
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy it as much as The Vampire's Assistant but as a hole, it was still enjoyable to read. Darren along with Evra and Mr Crepsley head to the city as a killer is let loose.
Fernando
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of me when Christmas comes around, as you're biting into your turkey and ham. Do you know what I'll be biting into?

• Borrasca
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • Hamish and the Neverpeople (Hamish and the PDF, #2)
  • How to be Happy Though Married
  • Hamish and the Baby BOOM! (Hamish 4)
  • Wereling (Wereling, #1)
  • Sabbath
  • Al otro lado de la pantalla
  • Történetek az innen is túlról
  • Gergő és az álomfogók (Gergő, #1)
  • Házimurik
  • Vita Nuova
  • Der kleine Nick ist wieder da!
  • Der kleine Nick: achtzehn prima Geschichten
  • Have You Met My Ghoulfriend? (Mostly Ghostly, #2)
  • The Cat Lady (The Midnight Library, #4)
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

Cirque du Freak (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)
  • The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque du Freak #2)
  • Vampire Mountain (Cirque Du Freak, #4)
  • Trials of Death (Cirque Du Freak, #5)
  • The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6)
  • Hunters of the Dusk (Cirque Du Freak, #7)
  • Allies of the Night (Cirque du Freak, #8)
  • Killers of the Dawn (Cirque Du Freak, #9)
  • The Lake of Souls (Cirque du Freak #10)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Cirque Du Freak, #11)