Start by marking “The Button Box” as Want to Read:
The Button Box

The Button Box

An imaginative little boy explores the many pleasures that can be found in - and made from - his grandmother's button box.
Published May 1st 1995 by Puffin Books (first published May 10th 1990)

Start your review of The Button Box
Kerrie McLoughlin
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
Read this to my kids while they were in the bathtub. Then grabbed them and went to an antique store to buy buttons and a Maxwell House tin to put them in. The kids loved the book but I may have loved it more. I was inspired to make a button box. My kids are getting too old to care much about playing with buttons but I'm thinking ahead to grandparenting years LOL A nice, chill story :-)
Andrea
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this adorable, creative, simple book. A little boy sifts through his Grandma's button box and imagines where some came from, learns where others come from and has fun sorting and comparing them. In the back is a little informational blurb about buttons. I just think it's so relatable and imaginative and sweet! It's not my favorite style of illustration but it is engaging and fun.
Vivian
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When I was young I absolutely LOVED my grandmother's button box, as does the boy in this story. He sorts them and makes games with them and enjoys his grandma's stories about where they might have come from.

This is too long to share with a large story time group but perfect for a cozy time at home.
Tammy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Makes me think I need a button box!
Rachel
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A story of sorting collections.
Andrea Ference
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The Button Box is written by Margarette S. Reid and illustrated by Sarah Chamberlain. There are just a couple sentences on each page, with most of the page being filled with the illustrations. It is about a boy who loves a box that his grandma has, that is filled with buttons. The boy likes to swirl them around, pick out the ones he likes. He describes some of the differences and how he pretends the jeweled ones belonged to kings and queens. At the end of the story the boy wonders who invented b ...more
Megan
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is about a box filled with buttons and even though buttons might seem a little boring, buttons are actually really great and interesting. This book shows how buttons can be fun because of their different size, shape and color. This is a great book to introduce counting, sorting and making patterns. For a hands on activity you could bring in a box full of buttons and have the students complete activities that involve counting, sorting and making patterns.
Nausheen Ukani
Apr 14, 2013 added it
Shelves: math
This book introduces several different math topics, including counting, sorting, and patterns. I would have my students do a post-activity using buttons. They would sort the buttons based on different categories, such as color, shape, number of holes, size, etc. This would be a great book to use in Kindergarten and 1st grade because this book is more age appropriate for those specific grade levels.
Katherine Fountain
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
The Button Box introduced the concept of sorting by the main character sorting his grandmother's buttons into different categories based on shape, size and color. For a first grade class, this book would be perfect for a fun activity with actual buttons or other manipulatives that the students could sort themselves. Since buttons are easily accessible and not very expensive, I would love to include buttons for my students so they could sort just like The Button Box,
Stacey
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3607-math
This book can be used to teach creativity to students. Making or building things from objects.i would divide students into different groups. Then I would give each group a variety of different objects. I would have students to work together to make something out of the objects that they were given. I would read this book before students begin this activity to help students with ideas of what their group can make.
Janice Redding
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This book encompasses a lot of different math topics such as counting, sorting, and patterns. I can use this book in the classroom because I can have the students do a button activity by describing their button; therefore, incorporating writing into the lesson. I can implement a math lesson because by have the students sort out the buttons by colors, textures, etc. This would be a great book for Kindergarten and up.
Rhonda Whittington
After reading the book show an assorment of buttons. Model how two buttons are the same and different. Give each student a button. With partner discuss how buttons are the same and different. Reprt back to class. Play "Button, Button who has a button that is ....... Give each child a handful of buttons to sort. Count how many in each group and how many all together. Which group has more? How many more?
Joe
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Great to read with children to lead into tons of different sorting activities. Buttons can simultaneously similar and different -- kids will each the same buttons so differently focusing on their color or thickness or size or some other attribute. This book is a fantastic segue into a wealth of different math activities.
Japonika Finch
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
I would use this book during math centers. This book is so relatible to student because everyone has some knowledge of buttons. The students could learn so many different math related topics with the integration of this book.
Deb Carter
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Button Box would be such a great book to read and then explore attribute of buttons with a real button box.
Brandy
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Introduce your sorting unit by reading this book to your students. Bring in your own box of buttons and have them sort by color, size, and shape. Make patterns or just simply count the buttons.
Luana
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, grouping
This book is great to use to teach students about patterns and sorting. Can also be used to teach counting. Can be used to introduce the use of venn diagrams.
Sheniqua
This is a great book to teach students about counting, sorting, and creating different patterns. it would be very useful to use with younger students as they're just staring out.
Betsy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, sorting
The boy in this book sorts his grandmother's collection of buttons. This would be a great book to read and then introduce buttons as manipulatives. A simple book but also very factual. Grades K-2.
Cheyenne
This book reminded me of my grandmother's button box.
Ruth Ellen
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
our Grandma had a button box. I remember running my fingers in it and trying to find the same kinds in it. my cousin Amy has it now.
Christen Griego
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
3-5
Classification
Angela
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Intergenerational, historical, memorable. Teaches attributes and appreciation to detail.Did for Memory Care Storytime with a real button box.
Kelly Morgan
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This is a great book to do sorting and patterns in math. It will help the student with the two concepts. The book is also engaging and fun!!!
This is a very good book to introduce or even expand on the concept of sorting Also, it is good for highlighting how some things may fall into more than one category because of its characteristics.
Allison
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
The Button Box could be used for a math sorting activity. As a teacher, I would bring in a button box for my students to sort on their own after reading this story.
Elizabeth Rachow
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! It is great for information on the history of buttons and for a math activity of sorting buttons! :)
Judy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Buttons are fun, and this little book is full of ideas. Best of all, buttons can be sorted in many different ways and no one way is "right."
Mollie B