Start by marking “The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)

The Dragon Revenant

(Deverry #4)

For years the provinces of Deverry have been in turmoil; now the conflict escalates with the kidnapping of Rhodry Maelwaedd, heir to the throne of Aberwyn.  Intent on rescuing him, his beloved Jill and the elven wizard Salamander infiltrate the distant land of Bardex, where Rhodry is held captive.  Tied to Deverry by obligation and circumstance, the immortal wizard Nevyn b ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by Spectra (first published April 1st 1990)

Nerine Dorman
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I can now say I’ve read the first four books in the Deverry Cycle – in their chronological order. These four books form act one, which Katharine Kerr subheads as “Deverry”. And now, looking back to when I first read these during my mid-teens and now, 20 or so very odd years later, I realise exactly what a huge influence they were on me, for wanting to be an author of epic fantasy. (I admit to love the idea of exploring past life relationships for characters, and this is a story seed for ...more
kat
Feb 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
It's hard to overstate how disappointing this book was. Long. Dull. Uninspired. Anticlimactic. A pale, passionless shadow of the way the series started out.

I'm glad all the loose ends got tied up and the story all sorted itself out, but boy was it a slog to get here. Unlike the others, this book takes place in a single time period, which makes it even more obvious that Kerr has given up on the one truly original and interesting aspect of Daggerspell -- the reincarnation and Wyrd.

Minus the intere
Barry Mulvany
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had thought to give this book 4 stars because of one part but thought that was unfair as I really enjoyed everything else and it seemed stingy to remove a whole star just because of one part even if that was a fairly major part. Unlike the previous books this all takes place in the 'current' timeline and mostly on the Bardek islands, with some cutbacks to Deverry. Plot I won't mention at all, being the fourth and last title in the series but let's just say that things moved well and I really l ...more
Thomas
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We reach the final book in the first Act of Katharine Kerr’s Deverry series. It picks up directly after the events of the Bristling Wood. Jill and Salamander set out to rescue Rhodry, who is now enslaved on the Bardek Archipelago, where their enemies lie in wait. Nevyn resides in Aberwyn with Lovyan and Cullyn, and begins to discover that Rhodry is just a pawn in his enemy’s plans to destroy him.

I felt this was a really good book to end the first Act; Kerr manages to draw the storylines in Drag
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Sophie
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this more of a 3.5 than a 3 stars. I really enjoyed the first two books but was very disappointed in the third, so there was a year or so gap between finishing that and picking this up. Whilst I did enjoy this one much more than the third, I feel like the series got a bit weaker as it went on. For example, the concluding portion of this book felt rather anti-climactic, I was expecting more of a 'show down' to happen after a four book build up, but found it a little rushed instead. T ...more
Aria  Tatiana
Book 4 "The Dragon Revenant" (known as "Dragonspell" in the UK) marks the end of the first cycle of the Deverry Saga. More details about the saga, plot, style etc. on my comment here for Book 1: Daggerspell.

I found the end of this first cycle really satisfying. Book 3 had ended on an unbearable cliffhanger. You're taken into the suspense again right from the first pages of this 4th installment. Unlike the 3 previous novels, this one won't make us discover in flashbacks parts of our heroes past l
Megan
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far this is the first book in the series with no flashbacks. And I was good with that, because we got the entire Bardek story in one beautiful volume. Even though I knew the end result, I had forgotten most of the actual story. It was almost like reading the story for the first time, and that made me so happy.

I will admit to being a romantic, and I think that the end of this book had probably my only "dislike" of the series. (view spoiler)
Kathi
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A satisfying conclusion to this chapter of the story of Deverry. Without the flashbacks to previous lives of Jill, Rhodry, and others, the story in this book flowed more smoothly. We got to see more of the contrast between the kingdoms of Deverry and Bardek, as well as the relationship between the Brotherhood of dark dwoeomermasters and their assassins, the Hawks. And bravo to the author (view spoiler) ...more
Noah
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I finally felt a sense of closure at the end of this book, but of course, Katherine Kerr left it open for sequels as well. In some ways, especially in the last half of the book, it felt like it just went from tying up one loose end to the next. I was satisfied with the way the story ends, but it felt somewhat methodical without a whole lot of tension. I would like to go onto the next series, if only I could find them!
Rhod Chang
Jul 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oldgoodtimes
My favorite of the books even though it doesn't have flashbacks, which are usually my main reason for coming back and re-reading the Deverry books. Because really, I just love the whole damn setup so much -- Rhodry in Bardek, Jill starting to learn dweomer but with SALAMANDER of all people, the wonderful bit where we find out what kind of bird Salamander turns into, and above all, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, oh God, GWIN.
Melanie
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic
Another excellent read from Kerr. After reading Book 3 of the Deverry series, I saw myself stopping after the first 4. Now, having read The Dragon Revenant, I want to read the next set of 4! I love the characters, love the plot, and look forward to finding out more about Jill, Nevyn, Rhodry and the Wildfolk in Book 5.
Kes
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
I was a little dissatisfied with the ending.

In one sense, it is over: Rhodry ascends the governorship (and the scene where he pops up at the tourney was fun to read); Jill chooses to follow her path (I loved her dilemma - that she felt that she had to choose, and that she ultimately felt trapped that Rhodry didn't understand. The ending scene with Nevyn was a great resolution of the central conceit in the first book too); and the Salamandar and Alaena plotline was very neatly wrapped up too. I
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Ruth Sims
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series like an old friend

A wonderful story based on the idea of souls being reincarnated. Although the basis of each book is the choices the characters make in their current life, the interweaving of the past makes the story more captivating the further the series goes on.
Debbie Jinks
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant last book in the Deverry series. The suspense and build up to very last page was brilliant! A real page turner with a happy ending for Nevyn the long suffering immortal wizard. Only one problem now though I want there to be a fifth book!
Sandi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: katherine-kerr
Another excellent book in an excellent series. However, the last part of this book seemed a bit...abrupt is probably the best word. For me, some of the events in the middle could have been less drawn out and more details put in for events at the end. That all being said - an excellent book.
Trey  Woody
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Magical and captivating

Very good book, I had difficulty putting it down and was easily lost in the intrigue and mysticism of Kerr’s writing. This has become one of my favorite series and I will definitely be buying and starting the next very soon
Ley Holloway
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-reading after a long break from these books, thoroughly enjoying it. I do find it annoying when I search for the book I'm reading and Goodreads changes it to the American title. I'm reading Dragon Spell thank you!
Colin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kathrine Kerr is better at epic fantasy than pretty much everybody else. Except maybe Robin Hobb.
Claire Fraser
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series although I was left a little upset by the ending, although some people may really like it. I'm not going to say any more in case it spoils it for other readers.
Nick Reys
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2011
Amanda
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For the first time in the Deverry series, all the action remains in the present day rather than flitting back to fill gaps in the past, and the plot/pacing is all the tighter for it.

Rhodry has been sold as a slave on the Bardek islands, and one storyline follows his new life, intersected with information about Salamander and Jill chasing him down. Behind all this we discover more about the politics and machinations within the Hawks, the Brotherhood and, behind them all, the Old One - desperate e
Artin
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading the opening book of the series, I very much doubted that I'd finish it. But when the sad ending-or rather, the sad opening-in one-third of the Daggerspell through brought me to tears I somehow knew I couldn't simply quit reading it.
Finishing The Dragon Revenant, and thus the first act, I must say I'm very glad I kept reading the first book. Looking back at it right now it seems to me that it was worth every minute. While the various time-frames and perhaps not so rel
Grianne
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libbet
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
2017 reread
Vladimir Ivanov
Книга все так же плоха, как и в студенческой юности. Опереточные злодеи, абсурдные повороты сюжета, очень затянуто, очень много воды. Насколько шедеврален первый том Деверри, настолько ужасны все продолжения.
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-epic
This is the fourth novel in the "Deverry" series and the last of the first quartet therein. It's also the first book in the series that stays all in the same timeframe, not jumping back and forth among different timeframes as the previous books do. If I had known that prior to reading this novel, I might have been worried because, frankly, having multiple timeframes with many characters that are reincarnations of themselves was one of the coolest ideas I've ever come across in fantasy fiction. B ...more
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Dragoncharm (The Ultimate Dragon Saga, #1)
  • Sky Trillium
  • Always Forever (Age of Misrule, #3)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • Emissary (Percheron, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • The Silicon Mage (Windrose Chronicles, #2)
  • Sea Dragon Heir (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #1)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)