Start by marking “Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)

Ramona and Her Mother

(Ramona Quimby #5)

This is a previously published edition of edition of ISBN 9780380709526. An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Ramona Quimby is no longer seven, but not quite eight. She's "seven and a half right now," if you ask her! Not allowed to stay home alone, yet old enough to watch pesky Willa Jean, Ramona wonders when her mother will treat her like her older
Published March 19th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published 1979)

Start your review of Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
Malbadeen
I'm not able to think about Laura Ingels Wilder's "Little House" books objectively because when I hear a title or see one of the covers, I am brought back to my childhood bedroom and I can feel the weight of my mom at the end of my bed while she read aloud those books.

A nice enough memory to be sure, but more so in light of the fact that things were frequently less than ideal at home. I have a friend that can rattle of pleasant memory after pleasant memory of her childhood while mine frequently
Vanessa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beezus looked over her shoulder. “Is that toothpaste?” she asked in disbelief.
Ramona scowled because she did not know what else to do.

“Mother!”
.....
“Get a spoon and a jar from the kitchen,” directed Mrs Quimby, “and scoop up the toothpaste.” Then she said to Beezus, “She can use it herself, and the rest of us can use a fresh tube.”

Somehow Ramona felt sad knowing she was about to be excluded from the family tube of toothpaste for a long time. And she wished her mother would not speak to Beezus as
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Once again, Beverly Clearly does it with the character of Ramona, making it easy for readers to connect with this 7-year old girl. She manages to capture the struggles of that age. Though it was longer ago than I care to think about, I remember being 7, and the struggles I had when I was expected to act more mature, but still had to follow the same rules as I did before and chafed at being treated like a "baby" while dealing with pesky younger siblings and/or cousins. The struggle is real, you g ...more
Lata
I remember how wonderful it felt wearing a new pair of flannel pyjamas. Unlike Ramona, though, I didn’t want to wear them under my day clothes, but I thought her logic was sound., even if in practice it didn’t work as well as she anticipated.
This was another fun entry, with Beezus becoming more prickly, no doubt due to puberty, while Ramona begins to question her place in her mother’s heart. And how Ramona figures out that she is loved is sweet.
Julia Winknler
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
At 7 and a half, with working parents and a sister at "a difficult age," Ramona Quimby tries hard to do her part to keep family peace. Usually, however, she ends up behind every uproarious incident in the house. Whether she's dying herself blue, watching while her young neighbor flings Kleenex around the house, or wearing her soft new pajamas to school one day (under her clothes, of course), Ramona's life is never dull. Through it all, she is struggling for a place in her mother's heart, worried ...more
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beth
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t remember how much the “father loses his job” plotline continues through the books.

There’s also this, which is practically perfect in every way:
Ramona was stern. “Grownups are supposed to be perfect.”

Both her parents laughed. “Well, they are,” Ramona insisted, annoyed by their laughter.

“Name one perfect grownup,” challenged Mr. Quimby. “You can’t do it.”

“Haven’t you noticed grownups aren’t perfect?” asked Mrs. Quimby. “Especially when they’re tired.”

“Then how come you expect us kids to
Kelly
Jul 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I love how complex we see the family relationships and situations are. That a haircut out of the house is such a luxury.

But the kicker for me was mom coming in and helping Ramona pack to run away. Actual LOL.
Shannon Hayes
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a farming, homeschooling, radical homemaking Mama, I will happily go on record stating my distate for the likes of Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody. The modern sisters to Ramona Quimby, Junie and Judy, in my opinion, are simply brats living in a world that I'd prefer not to share with my daughters (although, I must admit, they rather enjoy them). But enter Ramona Quimby, and we are all on the same page. We all relate much more more with Ramona's mishaps and adventures, because they are based on ...more
Dolly
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We started reading the series of books starring Ramona Quimby, Beezus, Henry and their friends a few years ago, but we never made too much progress. We intended to read more, but we always chose something else.

Our youngest was given the book Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby to read by her second grade teacher to practice her reading comprehension and I thought we'd give the series another try.

We listened to this book narrated by Stockard Channing on audio CD on a family road trip to Williamsburg.
Genevieve
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ramona books were a big part of my childhood reading, but I hadn't revisited Ramona and Her Mother in a couple of decades. Boy does this book hold up! When I played the audiobook for my kids on a road trip, I laughed and cried. And I didn't even particularly like this narrator (Stockard Channing), so full credit goes to Beverly Clearly, who is a genius at understanding the soul of a child. I can't think of a fictional character who is more real and more lovable than Ramona Quimby. Every word ...more
Ginnie
This is at times a touching, funny, relatable tale of Ramona when she is 7 and a half.

Beverly Cleary as an amazing talent for writting about everyday life in an amusing, way, but also writes about life's little hardships that don't seem so little when you are living them.

Enjoyed this book immensely!
Judy
Once again, Cleary pulled up incidents from my own past. Seven-year-old Ramona admits that she's always wanted to pull Kleenex out of a box, just for the joy of pulling them. Then she wants to squeeze a new tube of toothpaste, sculpting a shape from the long white 'worm' that keeps growing. My sister was intrigued with powder in a powder mitt. Locked in the bathroom, she put a pat of powder in each of the tiles that covered the walls. Ramona would have approved.

Here's the opening sentence of the
Lydia
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I really enjoyed this. Even though she is a punk I like it.
BHodges
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid. Not my fav in the series, though. Daughter still loving these.
Emily
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it so read aloud to the whole family. Parents so relatable! Ramona so rascally wise! I love when my beloved books as a kid remain beloved. BC is a goddess genius of liturature!
Kristen
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
No one captures the epitome of a precocious little firecracker of a girl better than Beverly Cleary! I read my first ‘Ramona’ book when I was in the 2nd grade (“Ramona Quimby, Age 8” – still my favorite) and my enjoyment of them has not waned in the slightest 21 years later! I absolutely adore these books. They convey such a warm sense of family, even when times are tough (and they have to “scrimp and pinch to make ends meet”). Cleary’s ability to write from the perspective of a “seven and a hal ...more
Settare
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Settare by: mom
Shelves: childhood
I grew up with Ramona. Many kids of my generation in Iran grew up with Ramona because when we were kids (in the 2000s and 2010s) these books were one of the most popular translated children's series. Ramona and Her Mother was the first one in the series that I encountered. My mom read it to me when I was little, and it was only her exclusive right to read Ramona to me. (I didn't let my dad read Ramona, his reading tasks were Tintin and Pippi Longstocking)
So I have very fond memories of this book
Stacy
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I feel awful giving this book three stars. I think this series is the best ever! But my girls and I are listening to the series on audiotape (read by Stockard Channing), and I just didn't enjoy this one as much as the others. My girls think the toothpaste incident was hilarious, and are still talking about it...I take a deep breathe everytime I walk into the bathroom now.

I think what I didn't like about this book so much is that its real - the bad haircut, the struggle to be understood, the per
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Want to do a reread so will review at that time.
Diane
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I look forward to reading this one to my girls.
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another win from Beverly Cleary! She really wrote amazingly memorable characters. My kids are begging me through this series. They think Ramona "fun!", "funny!", "enjoyable!", etc., etc. Honestly I had no plans to read through the Ramona series this year but the kids would seem to have us well on our way to doing it. These books have made for wonderful read aloud times!
Jill
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose this for a reading challenge prompt, "Reread a favorite book from your childhood." Wow, Beverly Cleary had such an amazing insight into the way children think and perceive their world. I remember clearly being on Team Ramona before, but now I have more appreciation for her tired parents, haha.
Tamara York
Read aloud to my 7 and 9 year old. So happy to share these childhood favorites with my kids. They are even better read as an adult. This is the Year of Ramona in our house. We are 5 books in, 3 to go.
Lindsey Stephenson
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I felt for Ramona in this one a lot. She really struggles throughout. It’s easy to forget how hard it is to not know anything and just be figuring it out. I guess it’s not much different from adulthood, but at least by adulthood you’ve realized that everyone’s doing that all the time.
Elizabeth Schwertfuehrer
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud with Tara. I can acts remember some of the parts from when I read it as a little girl. All the feels. 💕
Lindsay Wilcox
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hn
This one is a favorite, and Henry and Norah loved it, too. Who can’t relate to wanting to be a fireman and putting your clothes over your pajamas?
Becca
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels, mg-ya
Reading these with Ada, who shares a number of characteristics with Ramona. She especially liked the part where Beezus got a bad haircut.
Diana Nelson
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
My 9- and 7-year old sons love hearing all about Ramona and Beezus.
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 102 - Ramona and her Mother 2 17 Jul 22, 2018 10:04AM

• Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One
  • Ivy and Bean
  • The Littles to the Rescue
  • Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • The Littles Give a Party
  • Kristy and the Snobs (The Baby-Sitters Club, #11)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch (Junie B. Jones, #19)
  • Minions: The Junior Novel
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • The Littles
  • Amber Brown Sees Red
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)