Start by marking “Sundance, Butch And Me (Real Women of the American West, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sundance, Butch And Me (Real Women of the American West, #2)

Sundance, Butch And Me (Real Women of the American West #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A Historical Western Romance based on a true story.

She was born Martha Baird, but history will always remember her as Etta Place, the woman who rode with the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. Sundance, Butch and Me is history transformed into an exciting fiction a novel that captures all the drama, passion, and adventure of one of the West’s most amazing lives.
Paperback
Published July 2002 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Sundance, Butch And Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sundance, Butch And Me

Ute Carbone
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of my all time favorite movies, I really enjoyed reading this book about Etta Place--the Sundance Kid's long time lover. An enjoyable read.
Charlotte
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent, clean prose - a few places where the editing was left in (!), so it feels self-published, but a good narrative with good characters that was hard to put down.
Brenda
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was based on true people who lived and rode with Butch Cassidy, Sundance and the rest of the Hole In The Wall Gang. It was a great story I really enjoyed it about the womamn who road with them, loved by both. She was known by a different name than that which she was born with because she killed a man and had to flee her home town. I loved that it was true and the story about this women and how she lived was really a ride! I highly recommend it.

From Good Reads:
A Historical Western Roman
Carol
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-favorites
What a fun read! Life with Butch and Sundance, as told by Etta Place. Of course, this is fiction, but it reads like a memoir -- with all the grit and spirit of that time, and through all the adventures of this trio. The characters come through as so very likable and human, and the reader understands their passions, needs and inclinations. Great detail, and spectacular setting descriptions suggest a lot of research went into this novel. The story begins with Etta's childhood, through her young ad ...more
Terric853
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a retelling of my favorite movie, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, from Etta Place's perspective. (For those of you not familiar with the legend, Etta Place was the Sundance Kid's mistress for several years (10?) before deciding that she "will not watch you die" and leaves the two in Bolivia.)

Not surprisingly, the first two-thirds of the book, when we're getting to know Etta, Butch and Sundance, was the most engaging. The last third, when she realizes that (1) much as she loves S
Linda
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was fun to read about Etta Place and her life. I've always been fascinated with Butch Cassidy, one of my ancestors, Bub Meeks rode with him until Bub was shot and killed. This story focuses on Etta and her relationship with Sundance and Butch. I liked hearing a woman's pint of view of these outlaws. Butch has morals for being an outlaw and never killed a man. The book reads like the truth although we don't really know what happened to Etta.
Donna
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is historical fiction based on truth, but it reads like a memoir by Etta Place. I really liked it and once I got started, had a hard time putting it down. I think I got my love of the old west from my dad who read any western he could get his hands on. I would recommend this book to anyone who shares that love.
richard m.
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable! A narrative from the point of view of Sundance's girlfriend must be unique for the Butch Cassidy story.

I would have liked a bit more detail about the West, but especially an addendum that describes something of the factual resources the author used to develop the story.
Judy Alter
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A different take on the life of Etta Place, girlfriend of The Sundance Kid. Imagination fills in where little or nothing is known about her background but much of the book is based on available sources of the escapades of the Hole in the Wall Gang.
Mich
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great historical read. Really liked the characters and I couldn't help but picture them as the guys from alias smith and jones even tho they were the wrong characters!! To me Ben Murphy who played kid curry was sundance! Anyway. Great read!
Mae McDonnell
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wenwe
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting diversion from life, which really needed a good edit. I had a hard time with the timeline.
Nae
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most definitely not the Etta that was in the movie, but in some ways a much more satisfying personality :)
Linda S. Thomas
Dec 30, 2016
Leslie
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A novelist and author of books for both adults and young readers, Judy Alter is the author of seventitles in the Kelly O'Connell Mysteries, three in the Blue Plate Café Mysteries, and two Oak Grove Mysteries. Her mysteries are all set in Texas. She has also written frequently about women and girls of the American West, and many of those books are available as ebooks. Her Web page is http://www.jud ...more
More about Judy Alter...

Real Women of the American West (4 books)
  • Libbie (Real Women of the American West, #1)
  • Cherokee Rose (Real Women of the American West, #3)
  • Jessie (Real Women of the American West #4)