Start by marking “Like False Money” as Want to Read:
Like False Money

Like False Money

(Annie Raymond #1)

Can fledgling PI Annie Raymond cut it on her own when faced with an impossible job, a boss who hasn't a clue who she is, and a schoolgirl who is ready to blacken her name to save her own skin? Annie has resolved to do her best for grieving mother Martha Martin and keep the sordid details of her son Terry’s life hidden, but when conflicting stories around Terry’s last days ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Robert Hale (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Like False Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like False Money

Start your review of Like False Money
Kathleen Jones
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in Penny Grubb’s series about the young private investigator Annie Raymond. It’s Annie’s first - temporary - job and she knows that she has to prove herself in order to stay in the business. The agency that employs her is based in Hull, a city in a part of England that’s unfamiliar to her and probably to many of the readers too. It’s a good setting - there’s a dramatic landscape of sea and fenland and the city provides a wide range of class and racial contrast with all the ...more
Stuart Aken
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some crime novels are intriguing puzzles begging for solution, some are sensitive character studies describing the relationship of investigator to crime and perpetrator, and some are fast-paced action stories packed with incident and threat. Penny Grubb, in Like False Money, has blended all three in one fascinating novel.

The heroine, Annie, a woman with balls, takes on her first cases with few expectations, learning she has been employed more as nursemaid than private investigator. The complex
Elizabeth Bailey
I quite enjoyed the relationships in this book. There's so much detail, however, that I got lost between the two main jobs Annie is involved in. For me it didn't fully take off until the last section. It's extremely well written though and I look forward to reading more of Penny's work.
Linda Acaster
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's a review I put on Amazon:

I read crime fiction for relaxation and hunted out Like False Money because it is set in my locality. It certainly adds a frisson to the reading. I thought it a hoot that the protagonist found distances and the poor road system in our wide-horizon rural landscape so difficult to get her head round after being gridlocked in the city (Hull).

Annie Raymond is both young and very human, sometimes over confident and sometimes reticent, very much i
Penny Grubb
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It might be a bit off to give my own book a max review, but I went back to it after a year to see how I'd dealt with a particular character (needed the info for a later book same series). Found what I wanted but then amazed myself by getting caught up in the story and reading it to the end, even though I knew what was going to happen. So I decided I could justify giving it a good review. It was intended as a thriller, a whodunnit and a page turner. I think it does the job.
Kay Robinson
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that starts Annie Raymond on her career as a PI although it's the second book I read. The stumbling steps Annie makes in her chosen career shows her steep learning curve as she leaps into action biting off more than she can chew and juggling two cases at the same time. The twists and turns of the plot lead the reader ever deeper into underworld life on a housing estate and middle-class life in a coastal village, all leading up to a dramatic ending.
Babus Ahmed
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
My review on Amazon:

This is a very well written suspense/crime thriller/mystery. Annie Raymond is an aspiring PI who has been offered a 6 week position at a PI firm in Hull. When she gets there, with all she owns, she finds the job not quite what she expects. The PI she is supposed to be helping has a broken leg and knows nothing about Annie's appointment to help her. She makes the most of the situation and puts her training and instincts to the test on the 2 cases she has been asked to help on.
Grey Wolf
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't know any of the characters in this book, not having read any of this series before. This was only disconcerting at the beginning really, when I had no clue what was going on. After a short while, the author describes things enough that you can understand the relationship of characters to one another, though it was sometime before I realised Maggie was in her twenties and not an ageing spinster! The initial hook for the plot is a bit silly, but that is down to the character rather than t ...more
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, as simple as that.

Like a contemporary Agatha Christie, all the pieces fall into place perfectly.

The twists feel like corkscrews sometimes.

Pay attention and you'll love it, if you are a skim reader, you'll hate it.
Celest
Oct 05, 2014
Brooke
added it
Oct 10, 2014
Penny is a scientist and academic (Health Informatics), and was Chair of the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society , the largest writers’ organisation in the world, for six years to 2013.
A writer all her life, she penned her first story at age 4 and won her first writing competition at age 9. In 2004 she received an international award, the Crime Writers’ Association’s Debut Dagger.
She has