Start by marking “N by E” as Want to Read:
N by E

N by E

When artist, illustrator, writer, and adventurer Rockwell Kent first published N by E in a limited edition in 1930, his account of a voyage on a 33-foot cutter from New York Harbor to the rugged shores of Greenland quickly became a collectors' item. Little wonder, for readers are immediately drawn to Kent's vivid descriptions of the experience; we share "the feeling of win ...more
Published July 26th 1996 by Wesleyan University Press (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about N by E, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about N by E

Start your review of N by E
Michael
This short book is written as a meditative journal of the author’s sailboat trip to Greenland in 1930, which ended in a shipwreck. I appreciated his poetic impressions of the wild Greenland shores, the wonder of its flower fields and fjords, his experience of the Northern Lights, and his limited intersections with the Native Greenlanders. Sometime the latter was comic, as he usually had to resort to gestures to communicate. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a lech in lusting after their women, and ...more
Ints
Ar šo grāmatu man ir bijušas īpašas attiecības. Pirmkārt, neskaties uz kompasu, kas attēlots uz vāka, es viņu ne reizi bērnībā neatšķīru. Neuzrunāja. Tieši tāpēc man nebija ne jausmas, ka arī šī grāmata ietilpst „Piedzīvojumi. Fantastika. Ceļojumi.” sērijā. Tikai sākot vākt sērijas grāmatas, es atklāju, ka šie dīvainie vāki te piederas. Nezinu kādēļ, bet Rokvela Kenta grāmatām šajā sērijā ir nestandarta vāki un grāmatas muguriņas.

Centrālais sižets ir autora ceļojums pa jūru no Amerik
Robin
The N by E first edition cover, from 1930, unabashedly states “Rockwell Kent was created…to demonstrate that Nature did not, after Leonardo da Vinci, forget how to produce a man who could do everything superbly.” The quote reflects not only the more sensationalist era in which the book was written, but also Kent’s old school male ego. And contrary to the quote he is not the best author, both starting off too slowly and giving away the ending at the beginning. Yet, his extreme physical robustness ...more
Alger
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are not up to other books by Kent, and the storytelling is choppy and nonlinear. Still, Kent is a charming old snake and the book is plenty handsome even in reprint.

The lion's share of the tale is of an ocean voyage from New York Harbor to Nuun, Greenland in the summer of 1929. The visits to Newfoundland and Labrador give Kent plenty of room to swagger and reminisce about his wastrel youth, and his adventures as the neophyte yet most able navigator aboard offer him a chance to
Patrick
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any reader
Recommended to Patrick by: Browsing on Goodreads
Shelves: sea-literature
I thought this was a wonderful read. Rockwell Kent is one of the greatest illustrators of his time...and he can tell a tale. In 1929, he and two fellow mariners set sail from NYC to Greenland. They were shipwrecked and that takes up much of the book. Along the way, they stop in Newfoundland and Labrador. Here he relates great tales of an age gone by.
Some reviewers have criticized his writing style. I found it bare-bones and succinct. It can be said of much writing: Less is More. The illustratio
Chris K
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
At times brilliant and introspective, but I expected to see Kent's character strengthened as a result of his travails. Instead, during the seemingly most relaxing times of his journey, his morale too easily slips and he exhibits shameful weakness that barely pits him above today's "bohemian" dullards who take time out to selfishly find themselves on such banal trips to places like Vegas, or Cabo. I expected more.

I give it four stars instead of three for the simply beautiful artwork that accompa
Max
Sep 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
I came across a pile of Rockwell Kent's illustrations in a nice shop one day and got very excited by the beautiful work. The guy at the shop told me that the images were pulled from a copy of Kent's N by E. Later on, I picked up the paperback and was disappointed. Rockwell was not a good writer. I found the tale to be painfully dull and the writing stilted, awkward and.. strange I guess. It was a long tough slog to get through this one and I now understand why the shop had extracted the illustra ...more
Bill Talley
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was an excellent account of a short period in the life illustrator Rockwell Kent. His voyage on a doomed schooner headed to Greenland is compelling and entertaining. The illustrations of the voyage are iconic. Later Kent's illustrations of his voyage became world renowned. Several publishers uses his art as a symbol for their publishing house. On top of all this, you will certainly recognize some of the illustrations in this book. Very entertaining and informative.

Peter Krakow
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
He draws like like a God and his illustrations really make the book . . . but I wouldn't want to get in a boat with him. My brother the sailor gave me this and if I had even pinch of salt in my legs it would have been more enjoyable. And somehow I was led to believe there would be a lot more sex with eskimos . . . there wasn't. Still, quite an over the top adventure by any standard, and he writes about it not in a writers voice, but his own. Definitely makes for an oddly different read.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Amazing woodcut images coupled with what read like journal entries for a story about the author's journey to Greenland after desiring and buying a boat and then getting stranded after the boat was smashed to pieces. Quick, spirited, exciting, accessible, and very beautiful are words I would use to describe this book. I loved it! I makes me hunger for the sea.
Joelle
Dec 06, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: escapists dreaming of being sailors
This was great escapism adventure reading. Rockwell Kent was navigator on a small boat (the doomed 'Direction') traveling to Greenland from New York. I especially enjoyed the stops in Labrador, where Kent recounts past adventures there, like when there was a huge snowstorm and...well, you'll just have to read it won't you?
adrienne
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to find and purchase an early edition of this book. He is an amazing graphic illustrator and this book is filled with his gorgeous work.. It's the most beautiful book I own. I truly believe the only way to read or even open this book is if you can get your hands on a letter pressed edition. I've not seen it in paperback, but I never want to.
Scott
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: maritime-history
Based on an actual voyage, this is a classic tale of a small sailboat trip up the Canadian east coast to Greenland.
Edward Renehan
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A classic. 'Nuff said.
Peter
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting account of yet another of Kent's bold, idealistic and ill-fated adventures, this time on a sailing expedition to Greenland. Not surprisingly, a shipwreck is involved.
Michael
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
adventure! go!
Joe Rennie
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this book about three men who set out for Greenland in a small sailboat in 1929 with very little knowledge of what lay ahead
Lauren
Emily
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Outermost House: A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod
  • What If This Were Enough?
  • Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste
  • Things I Should Have Known
  • Death in Holy Orders (Adam Dalgliesh, #11)
  • The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains
  • To You We Shall Return: Lessons About Our Planet from the Lakota
  • Kaptara, Vol. 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien
  • I Was Told There'd Be Cake
  • One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon
  • Hazards of Time Travel
  • Motherless Brooklyn
  • Advice for Future Corpses (and Those Who Love Them): A Practical Perspective on Death and Dying
Rockwell Kent (June 21, 1882 – March 13, 1971) was an American painter, printmaker, illustrator, and writer.

Source: Wikipedia.