Start by marking “Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe” as Want to Read:
Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The bible teaches that the universe is just thousands of years old, and yet we can see stars that are billions of light-years away. In this book, Dr. Humphreys explains this phenomenon with his new cosmology including an easy-to-read popular summary and two technical papers.
Published April 15th 1994 by Master Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Starlight and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starlight and Time

Debbie
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I really struggled with the actual book, not so much with the appendices. Maybe there is another author who can explain this more clearly for me. Otherwise s fascinating subject.
Christopher George
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is essentially a historical, scientific model of the six days of Creation, particularly in relation to day 4. Ever wonder how the stars were both created and visible, from billions of light years away, on the fourth day of Creation?

Be at ease when reading _Starlight_and_Time_, that atheists don't have any better ideas, even on this particular topic. They have not solved the Horizon Problem. (Feel free to look it up.) Thus, we haven't any reason to feel ashamed for having needed a bette
sologdin
This book might as well have been written by The Onion.

The universe runs on Earth Standard Time because the universe was created out of a white hole, the residue of which is the earth, and which shielded the earth from the passage of time in the rest of the universe, such that the earth is merely 6,000 years old, whereas the rest of the universe is billions of years old. There is consequently no contradiction between young earth creationism and visible stars many thousands of parsecs distant.

Er
Tom
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book was thought provoking and shed light on one major area - that the science is not settled. His hypothesis of gravitational time dilation seems very plausible, especially when you consider that laws of physics such as the law of Entropy demonstrate that the universe had a beginning. I think this book make a good scientific contribution to the philosophical debate on age and the appearance of age in origins.
Arnold Sikkema
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
When I was a young-earth creationist, I had hoped for a solution to the starlight-and-time problem, and so eagerly read this book. But my knowledge of general relativity and the Bible allowed me to see so many scientific and theological errors in the book that I realized it was time to ditch the YEC idea. Later "solutions" (e.g. by Jason Lisle) continue to confirm my understanding that YEC is grasping for straws.
James Cloyd

It is clear from Gen. 1 that the Jews, like other ancient peoples, believed there was an ocean in the sky. It's an understandable mistake; they didn't know where rain came from or why the sky was blue like the ocean. Believe it or not, creation "scientists" still insist that this was no mistake: it's in the Bible after all, so it must be true. Since the sun, moon, & stars were placed btwn the waters below & the waters above, Ham & Humphrey's conclude that this sky ocean not only stil
Andrew
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
It is very hard to be objective about this book. The main idea is that the six days of creation in Genesis are six Earth days, while everywhere else in the universe experienced time differently as it expanded away from the Earth (which is the center of creation). So, the distant stars are literally billions of years old, though Earth is only a few thousand years old.

Astronomers are therefore correct in talking about old stars, even though Earth itself is relatively young. This smells of "secret
B
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book disappointing as a creationist perspective on the universe. The first thing you should know is that there are only about 30 pages of content accessible to a layman, the rest is basically Dr. Humphrey's published research. As for the theory, parts of it sound great, but ultimately he cedes the entire formation of the universe to an evolutionary time scale & formation model. Basically his argument is: here's how I can account for however many billions or trillions of years se ...more
Nick
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, own
I found the scientific theories proposed in this book intriguing. Humphreys basic premise is that the so called "Copernican Principle" is unwarrented by science, meaning that it is pure conjecture that the universe has no bounds. Once he substitutes a bounded universe into Einstein's theory of General Relativity, he demonstrates (and I mean mathmatically...Appendix C is way too technical for all but astrophysists) that the universe was once inside a "white hole". Based on the physics of Gravita ...more
Philip
Was given this to read a while back by Ed Wood, a dear friend from my church Men's Breakfast Group in Taipei and a hardcore "young Earth" Creationist. I have to say I kind of enjoyed this, as it employed some of the most tortured science I have ever read in its efforts to make the impossible sound credible. Am tempted to include it on my "humor" list, but that's mean; still, it does have to go under "fantasy." But I love Ed - who looks like a 5'4" Teddy Roosevelt - and this book reminds me that ...more
S.E. Thomas
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that deals with the issue of the old earth/new earth creation debate. No matter which side of the debate you're on, this will be an excellent read. It helps to show how BOTH sides could actually be right, even though they seem contradictory. This book brings people together where there has traditionally been heated division. Highly recommend!
Brian
Sep 06, 2010 added it
Shelves: religion
Pretty interesting origin theory based on general relativity that seems to support a creationist model. I would have to read a lot more in this field to be able to render an educated verdict. But I found this book easy to follow and thought provoking.
Brandon
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was full of lots of interesting ideas, but it indirectly led me to one conclusion: I'm not a physicist. Still, in the event I start writing some science fiction, I will undoubtably utilize some of the thoughts in this book.
Geoff
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
time is relative

gravity effects time (or the physical process)

radiation clock affected by gravity

how do we see stars so far away if the universe is young??

simple answer is that the gravity affecting the 'time' of this bodies was less, allowing them to speed up.
Don
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Interesting theory from a creationist angle. Might even be right. However as my belief in God is a real one not founded upon theories it is of no importance to me exactly how and on what time scale God created the universe.
Monte Malenke
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting ideas but seems to wrap scripture around those ideas rather than the other way around. See Gorman Gray's "Age of the Universe: What are the Biblical Limits" for an excellent and thorough review in an appendix.
Josiah
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
While I wasn't fond of all the hermeneutics offered up in this book, it offers a very interesting and well-thought-out answer to the problem of starlight from the young-earth perspective.
Frode
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was a mix of lay language and astrophysics. He makes an interesting case for proving the 6 day creation scenario; it made sense to me.
Josh Anderson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creationist
Mindblowing...
Amy
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: my advanced-physics teacher
The first two chapters were fantastic, but the rest of the book was filled with Humphrey's more technical papers.
Vulcaninvestigator777
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought the book was interesting, although nothing it said has yet been proven. Can it be we're the center of the whole universe after all? Time will only tell...
Paul Lawrence
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
a fascinating examination of scientific reasons why there could be a young earth with old starlight.
Jacob Karl
Samuel Moses
Mar 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design
  • Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • Refuting Evolution: A Handbook for Students, Parents, and Teachers Countering the Latest Arguments for Evolution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Lie: Evolution
  • The Constitution of the United States of America and Selected Writings of the Founding Fathers.
  • The Genesis Flood: The Biblical Record and Its Scientific Implications
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis
  • 9-11, Vol. 1: Artists Respond
  • How the West Won: The Neglected Story of the Triumph of Modernity
  • Exploring Creation: With Astronomy
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • The Answers Book: The 20 Most-Asked Questions About Creation, Evolution & the Book of Genesis Answered! Revised & Expanded Edition
  • The Victorian Age in Literature