Start by marking “Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe” as Want to Read:
Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

The bible teaches that the universe is just thousands of years old, and yet we can see stars that are billions of light-years away. In this book, Dr. Humphreys explains this phenomenon with his new cosmology including an easy-to-read popular summary and two technical papers.
Published April 15th 1994 by Master Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Starlight and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starlight and Time

Start your review of Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
Christopher George
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is essentially a historical, scientific model of the six days of Creation, particularly in relation to day 4. Ever wonder how the stars were both created and visible, from billions of light years away, on the fourth day of Creation?

Be at ease when reading _Starlight_and_Time_, that atheists don't have any better ideas, even on this particular topic. They have not solved the Horizon Problem. (Feel free to look it up.) Thus, we haven't any reason to feel ashamed for having needed a bette
Tom Talamantez
The book was thought provoking and shed light on one major area - that the science is not settled. His hypothesis of gravitational time dilation seems very plausible, especially when you consider that laws of physics such as the law of Entropy demonstrate that the universe had a beginning. I think this book make a good scientific contribution to the philosophical debate on age and the appearance of age in origins.
Debbie
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I really struggled with the actual book, not so much with the appendices. Maybe there is another author who can explain this more clearly for me. Otherwise s fascinating subject.
Rodney Harvill
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the strongest objections young-earth creationism (creation in six days approximately six thousand years ago based on a biblical chronology) is distant starlight. How does starlight travel hundreds of thousands, millions or even billions of light years in only a few thousand years? This is a question that creationists have been grappling with for decades. With this book, published in the mid-1990s, Dr. Humphreys, an astrophysicist who is also a creationist, attempts to resolve this issue i ...more
SingingK
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating topic! As an amateur scientist with no background in astronomy or cosmology, I needed the layman’s explanations at the beginning. Even so, general relativity is difficult to grasp, and I didn’t make it much past the idea that there is mathematical evidence, given certain assumptions, that gravity can change time in such a way as to age certain things faster than others.

Though the articles are approachable, with no esoteric vocabulary or math, the explanations are sparse in places,
sologdin
This book might as well have been written by The Onion.

The universe runs on Earth Standard Time because the universe was created out of a white hole, the residue of which is the earth, and which shielded the earth from the passage of time in the rest of the universe, such that the earth is merely 6,000 years old, whereas the rest of the universe is billions of years old. There is consequently no contradiction between young earth creationism and visible stars many thousands of parsecs distant.

Er
Arnold Sikkema
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
When I was a young-earth creationist, I had hoped for a solution to the starlight-and-time problem, and so eagerly read this book. But my knowledge of general relativity and the Bible allowed me to see so many scientific and theological errors in the book that I realized it was time to ditch the YEC idea. Later "solutions" (e.g. by Jason Lisle) continue to confirm my understanding that YEC is grasping for straws.
Roger Pearlman
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
almost by definition any Young Earth Creation model is going to be far closer to the one historic actuality than any deep-time dependent doctrine model.
Modern 'science' being cumulative and premised on faulty assumptions, is thus religous like doctrine.
The overwhelming empirical evidence, that is the prevelant cosmological redshift of distant starlight, aligns w/ scriptural testimony, and attests to YeC, as expalined in/by SPIRAL cosmlogical redshift hypothesis and model.
S.E. Thomas
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that deals with the issue of the old earth/new earth creation debate. No matter which side of the debate you're on, this will be an excellent read. It helps to show how BOTH sides could actually be right, even though they seem contradictory. This book brings people together where there has traditionally been heated division. Highly recommend!
Nathan Spear
Sep 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Just an attempt by young-earth creationists to sound like they've done their due diligence vis-a-vis origins of the universe and cosmology.
Andy Maybury
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent explanation of a complex subject, solving a seemingly intractable problem of evidence of earth's youth and the universe's great age.
Michael Walker
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before the first white hole was observed, Humphreys shows in this book how Einstein's theory of relativity predicts that white holes exist. What is interesting is how Dr. Humphreys reconciles a straightforward exposition of Genesis 1 with general relativity. Anyone can take 2 atomic clocks, place one at sea level and another a mile high, and they will begin to differ with the mile high atomic clock running faster. This experiment is repeatable and is time dilation as the result of gravity. So, u ...more
James Cloyd

It is clear from Gen. 1 that the Jews, like other ancient peoples, believed there was an ocean in the sky. It's an understandable mistake; they didn't know where rain came from or why the sky was blue like the ocean. Believe it or not, creation "scientists" still insist that this was no mistake: it's in the Bible after all, so it must be true. Since the sun, moon, & stars were placed btwn the waters below & the waters above, Ham & Humphrey's conclude that this sky ocean not only still exists tod
Nat Kidder
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the arguments against the Genesis 1 account of the creation of the universe is: if the universe is that young and was created in 7 days, then how come light from celestial objects millions of light-years away has managed to reach us.

Dr. Humphreys posits a hypothesis that (as my gross oversimplification) the universe was created not via an explosion, but as a "white hole", where, contrary to a black hole, matter is expelled rather than sucked in, and the event horizon shrinks rather than e
Andrew
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
It is very hard to be objective about this book. The main idea is that the six days of creation in Genesis are six Earth days, while everywhere else in the universe experienced time differently as it expanded away from the Earth (which is the center of creation). So, the distant stars are literally billions of years old, though Earth is only a few thousand years old.

Astronomers are therefore correct in talking about old stars, even though Earth itself is relatively young. This smells of "secret
B
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book disappointing as a creationist perspective on the universe. The first thing you should know is that there are only about 30 pages of content accessible to a layman, the rest is basically Dr. Humphrey's published research. As for the theory, parts of it sound great, but ultimately he cedes the entire formation of the universe to an evolutionary time scale & formation model. Basically his argument is: here's how I can account for however many billions or trillions of years secula ...more
Nick
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, own
I found the scientific theories proposed in this book intriguing. Humphreys basic premise is that the so called "Copernican Principle" is unwarrented by science, meaning that it is pure conjecture that the universe has no bounds. Once he substitutes a bounded universe into Einstein's theory of General Relativity, he demonstrates (and I mean mathmatically...Appendix C is way too technical for all but astrophysists) that the universe was once inside a "white hole". Based on the physics of Gravita ...more
Philip
Was given this to read a while back by Ed Wood, a dear friend from my church Men's Breakfast Group in Taipei and a hardcore "young Earth" Creationist. I have to say I kind of enjoyed this, as it employed some of the most tortured science I have ever read in its efforts to make the impossible sound credible. Am tempted to include it on my "humor" list, but that's mean; still, it does have to go under "fantasy." But I love Ed - who looks like a 5'4" Teddy Roosevelt - and this book reminds me that ...more
Brian
Sep 06, 2010 added it
Shelves: religion
Pretty interesting origin theory based on general relativity that seems to support a creationist model. I would have to read a lot more in this field to be able to render an educated verdict. But I found this book easy to follow and thought provoking.
Brandon
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was full of lots of interesting ideas, but it indirectly led me to one conclusion: I'm not a physicist. Still, in the event I start writing some science fiction, I will undoubtably utilize some of the thoughts in this book.
Geoff
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
time is relative

gravity effects time (or the physical process)

radiation clock affected by gravity

how do we see stars so far away if the universe is young??

simple answer is that the gravity affecting the 'time' of this bodies was less, allowing them to speed up.
Don
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Interesting theory from a creationist angle. Might even be right. However as my belief in God is a real one not founded upon theories it is of no importance to me exactly how and on what time scale God created the universe.
Monte Malenke
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting ideas but seems to wrap scripture around those ideas rather than the other way around. See Gorman Gray's "Age of the Universe: What are the Biblical Limits" for an excellent and thorough review in an appendix.
Josiah
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
While I wasn't fond of all the hermeneutics offered up in this book, it offers a very interesting and well-thought-out answer to the problem of starlight from the young-earth perspective.
Frode
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was a mix of lay language and astrophysics. He makes an interesting case for proving the 6 day creation scenario; it made sense to me.
Josh Anderson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creationist
Mindblowing...
Amy
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: my advanced-physics teacher
The first two chapters were fantastic, but the rest of the book was filled with Humphrey's more technical papers.
Paul Lawrence
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
a fascinating examination of scientific reasons why there could be a young earth with old starlight.
Jake Napp
Aug 03, 2014
Darla Dyer
Jun 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Shallows (Shallows, #1)
  • Jane by the Book
  • Reflections on the Psalms
  • The Thunder: A Novel on John Knox
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
  • Off the Mangrove Coast: Stories
  • The Betrayal: A Novel on John Calvin
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Permanent Record
  • Decision Points
  • The Fate of Africa: A History of Fifty Years of Independence
  • The Long War Against God: The History & Impact of the Creation/Evolution Conflict
  • Surviving AI: The promise and peril of artificial intelligence
  • Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
  • Kings & Queens of England: From the Saxon Kings to the House of Windsor
  • IoT Inc.: How Your Company Can Use the Internet of Things to Win in the Outcome Economy
  • Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Business: A No-Nonsense Guide to Data Driven Technologies
  • Kenya: Looters and Grabbers: 54 Years of Corruption and Plunder by the Elite, 1963-2017

News & Interviews