Start by marking “The Privateer Clause (Marsha & Danny Jones #1)” as Want to Read:
The Privateer Clause (Marsha & Danny Jones #1)

The Privateer Clause

(Marsha & Danny Jones #1)

Step onto the promenade deck of the Sea Empress for a cruise of a lifetime and become part of the world's greatest series of murder mysteries and thrillers in the Caribbean. Marsha and Danny Jones retired from law enforcement and thought it would be just the thing to break the boredom of retirement to be security consultants to protect the Seven Seas Company's finest ship ...more
Published June 14th 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Privateer Clause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Privateer Clause

Linda
I give this zero stars. I liked the concept, but I had to stop reading because the writing was so poor. It seemed to be written by a 12-year-old with no editing whatsoever. Verb tenses didn't match and it was full of misspellings and typos. It jumped all around and was basically a hot mess. The description of life on a cruise ship wasn't even that accurate, to which I can attest as a cruise veteran. I really wanted to follow the story, but I just couldn't take any more.
Teresa W
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It starts and stops just like the port visits on a cruise ship. You just never know what excitement awaits you next. The idea of providing security for a large cruise ship with the range of passengers is not something most of us think about. Now, you will happily enjoy learning the about steps as you follow Marsha and Daniel dealing with security issues. I have laughed, learned, and am ready for the rest of this series. So if you are ready for a different kind ...more
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of a first-reads giveaway.

I found The Privateer Clause to be a highly entertaining roller-coaster ride of a novel filled with a great deal of action. This action takes place on a cruise ship and in several Caribbean ports of call. The beginning of the novel introduces the reader to the Sea Empress, a luxury cruise ship being enlarged and refurbished, the Seven Seas Company that owns her, and a whole host of interesting characters. We are also introduced to Black and
Quillracer
Jun 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
An apt subtitle for this book might be A Tedious Journey.

The basic premise – a retired law-enforcement husband and wife team providing security on a cruise ship – was an interesting concept. Sadly, that concept was ruined by terrible execution and mechanics. Scads of wrong words, missed words, extra words, punctuation errors, stiff dialog, and sentences that stumbled or made no sense made reading (and translating what was written into coherent prose) a chore.

The main characters were given the wr
Rick F.
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Cruising has never been so dangerous. Join Marsha and Danny Jones, both retired law officers, as they go on their first cruise and end up working for Black & Perkins providing security for the Seven Seas Company and their fleet of cruise ships.
One threat after another is faced all over the Caribbean as this husband and wife team take them all on and win more than they lose."

Yes,-Cruising has never been so dangerous- in the superb new thriller, The Privateer Clause, by Ken Rossignol, but in
Rick F.
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Liz Vinc
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ken Rossingnol's "The Privateer Clause" is a gripping murder mystery/thriller that takes place on the Sea Empress, a cruise ship. Marsha and Danny Jones are retired law enforcement officers who have been hired as security consultants for a cruise ship company. This responsibility takes them head-to-head with a group of unsavory individuals looking to wreak havoc on the ship. If I were to describe this book in one word, it'd be FUN! There's a ton of action, some humor, and plenty of suspense to k ...more
Andrew Western
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I hated to put it down, but due to my eyesight problems I could not read it in one sitting. I probably could have finished it in one, but instead it took me two days. Talk about non-stop action, wow! This kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. If the others in this series are this good, I will have quite some enjoyable reading material for a while. Thank you Ken Rossignol for the great read!
Patricia
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It definitely kept my wanting more. There were ups and downs that made you feel like you were on a roller coaster. I loved the detail that was given in the book, it made it easy to follow and understand each character.

This was a book that it was hard to put down. The days that I read it I noticed I was doing only reading and nothing else. This was a well written and I loved the characters of this book.

I look forward to more books from KEN. Great BOOk...
Kirsten Dillard
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It definately kept my interest. Although, at times it seemed a bit too detailed, it set the stage for what was to come. Great book - will definately read more from this author!
Carlleen Cairns
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Privateer Clause; the story is packed with plenty of action, twists and turns. The descriptions of the cruise and ports had me believing I was on the cruise right along with the characters. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is looking for an action- packed adventure.
Marilyn
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good

the retired couple who went to work for a security organization who provided security for ships that.are cruise ships.there are terrorists.
Doris Bright
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down. Great action and suspense. Fun to read.
Joanne
Learned things about cruises and staff
Zoe
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great action, great characters! Hard to put down and you just hate that it has to end.
Tony Parsons
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Norfolk Harbor, MD. The Sea Empress (cruise liner, Seven Seas Co.) was getting refurbished under by Virginia Shipyard LTD & under the watchful eye of Scotty O’Neil (chief engineer).
Black & Perkins Security (B & PS) saw to Scotty’s every need.
Scotty was at the top of his game in quality control.
VSL was starting to cut corners. Their big brass & Scotty were at odds.
The co. was fined $5 million.

Henry Boston (Seven Seas President) had allowed Scotty to hire 6 new engineers.
5 men &
Karin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Letter of Marquis would include permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders. This, also called the Privateer Clause, was what enabled Danny, Clinton, Harry Boston and the rest of the War Room to retaliate when any of the passengers or crew were in danger. They seem to evoke the Privateer Clause more that some Presidents evoke the Executive ...more
Michael Bierbaum
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not three chapters into what I hoped was going to be a rip roaring sea yarn I had to quit. At least three political diatribes against "Looney liberal" Democrats in Congress and a disgustingly condescending racist description of a person of color hired as a cook, overt anti Muslim casting as terrorists and I had enough. First, tell a good story. If you, as an author, have an agenda let your characters, in their actions, work it out. Don't be blatant. I have several other books by this author in m ...more
Jessica
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Utterly unbelievable

The summarized description of this book is misleading. It gives the impression of old-time noir rather than a Johnny Rambo husband and wife team. It reads like some extended advertisement for Soldier of Fortune or Blackwater. Furthermore, suspension of disbelief is stretched beyond the limit not only in the sheer number of unlikely scenarios but also the means and speed in which the lead characters dispose of baddies.
Bruce Dinsman
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ripping good action

I’ve never heard of so much crime against 1 ship in so short of a time. Minor disconnect though...the book starts with a major renovation of a ship, then jumps to Danny and Marsha getting hired and whisked off to the Caribbean. I can’t see what the beginning had to do with the rest of it. But it was a real page turner so maybe I’ll have to re read it again later. I saw some minor editing flubs also
Newell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't bother. I am being generous with two stars, there actually was a story here, just had to dig through the problems to see it. I will not belabor the problems with this book, others have gone into great detail and covered everything, but I was surfing rapidly through this book, trying to finish it quickly like swallowing medicine. This was my third attempt to read this and I finally finished. I do not recommend.
Jeff Cochrane
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Kept my interest

While I could hold onto my sense of disbelief. Just hard to think one couple could do so much by themselves, have everyone agree with everything they suggest, get paid mega bucks for a bonus, etc, etc, etc. Guess it would be a good summer read at the beach. No real interest in reading more of them.
Kim
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's incredibly rare for me to give up on a book, but I gave up on this one.

Unbelievable characters, stilted dialogue and glossed-over events just when the action's getting going. Not for me I'm afraid
Cari
Same thing happened over and over at every port
Thom Swennes
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Don’t judge a book by its cover is a popular and often quoted idiom. This saying could be extended to include that a book shouldn’t be judged by its graphics, grammar, spelling, or form. When everything is laid out on the table, the only factor that counts is if the reader enjoys a story or not.
Just a breath behind prostitution, piracy is probably the second oldest profession in the world. As long as man has ventured into the large waters of the world, others have followed to make life even more
Bill Donhiser
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Let me start with a disclaimer: My first job as a high school kid was working for Ken Rossingnol (then AKA Buffy) in a pizza restaurant in Southern Maryland. Since then Ken has had many occupations and I have not seen him for many years. I never thought he would become a writer of novels. Although that is what many of his nemesis would say regarding his periodical publications. I discovered this book when browsing Amazon and thought I would give it a try. ...more
Barbara
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
One star for concept. Crime on a cruise ship, with a husband and wife security team. Fun! But that's where the fun stops. I read the entire series, and this has to be the worst book/series I've ever read. Extremely poor writing, bad (non-existent?) editing, lack of continuity between books, unbelievable characters, weird dialogue (I will never again see the word "dear" without cringing).

My comments apply to the series, not just to this book.

Continuity issues - is she Faustino or Faustina? Is t
Tarissa
The Privateer Clause -- it's a rule of the seas that dates back to the late 1600s, and is now being put to use in modern times. (And is definitely an intriguing element to this maritime thriller.)

There's a lot going on in this book (a few murders perhaps, nothing out of place when you're in international waters, eh?), along with a few other things that I'll let Marsha Jones tell you about...

"What did I get? Pirates, bombs, more pirates, a nutcase Presidential brother, and even a submarine."

Yep,
Patsy
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series of The Privateer Clause (Marsha and Danny Jones Thriller #1) this is their first cruise after retiring as law officers and end up as Security Consultants for a cruise firm, they are on the Sea Empress Cruise Ship.

This is an action packed murder mystery with pilates, terrorists, submarines, bombs a real roller coaster ride across the Caribbean with so many twists and turns.

Rossignol is an outstanding master storyteller he brings in so many characters and make
Jo-Ann Murphy
I won this book from the Goodreads giveaways. I saw all the positive reviews and I must wonder what book they read.

I must give this book zero stars because I could not finish it. I really tried to give it a fair shot but after 50 pages I could not take any more. I hate writing a bad review but this book should have had a lot more work before being released.

The sentence structure is bad. I had to read sentences two and three times to try to figure out what the author was trying to say. A novel sh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • Bad Spirits
  • The Six O'clock Rule (Detective Clay Randall #2)
  • Hypocrisy
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Devil's Food (A Loretta Kovacs Thriller, #1)
  • Pretty Girls Make Graves (Camden Noir Crime Thrillers Trilogy #1)
  • Chasing the Storm
  • Enemy In The Room
  • A Deceit to Die For
  • Blown Away
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • See No Evil (Shingle Beach, #1)
  • Metro Star Murders
  • Fairwood
  • The Price of Innocence
  • Mouse
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins (Madeline Donovan #1)
Writing in true crime, maritime history and cruise thrillers occupies most of Ken Rossignol's time.
As a maritime history speaker, Rossignol enjoys meeting audiences around the world and discussing the original news stories of the sinking of the RMS Titanic and other maritime history topics.
In recent years Rossignol has appeared on more than a dozen ships in the Pacific, Atlantic, Mediterranean an

Marsha & Danny Jones (7 books)
  • Return of the Sea Empress (Marsha & Danny Jones #2)
  • Follow Titanic (Marsha & Danny Jones Thriller, #3)
  • Follow Triangle - Vanish (Marsha & Danny Jones #4)
  • Cruise Killer (Marsha & Danny Jones #5)
  • Beheaded: Terror By Land, Sea & Air (Marsha & Danny Jones Thriller Series #6)
  • WHO COLLECTS THE SOULS: Marsha & Danny Jones Thrillers - Season 2 (A Marsha & Danny Jones Thriller Series Book 7)