Start by marking “Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1” as Want to Read:
Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1

Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1

Paperback
Published (first published August 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1

Start your review of Love letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne Vol 1
Gloria
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had thought to try and write some clever review, perhaps in the way and manner of Hawthorne's letters to his betrothed.
But I realized that in the wake of reading such intensity, such passion and emotional poetry, any attempt would come across merely as trite.

So instead, I will leave you with one passage which, to me, summed up so beautifully the soul of a man wholly invested in his love.

I used to think that I could imagine all passions, all feelings, all states of the heart and mind; but how
Kimberly McCollum
With Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought this this might be an interesting read. I liked the passages in some of the letters, but overall, they tended to be fairly redundant. This will probably be the last time that I read a collection of someone else’s love letters.
Mark
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Fascinating as records of Hawthorne's psychology and occasionally touching as expressions of love and devotion, these letters are also often queasy and strange, insular expressions of a passion that never quite fully blossoms and seems strangely forced. The fact that Sophia rescued Nathaniel from a life of physical isolation and unceasing moral crisis explains his devotion, but the letters sometimes seem more rhetorically necessary to Hawthorne's marriage than true.
janet
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love letters

Very interesting book eloquent writing and a deep love shared between a man and his wife you can almost imagine the letters Sophia wrote back. Looking forward to book 2.
Erika Robuck
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vivid, adoring, fascinating glimpse into the mind of the veiled Hawthorne, and his adoration/worship of Sophia Peabody.
Den Slader
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hawthorne
Letter writing as an art form, very romantic, borders on religious worship of his wife.
Ashaley Lenora
Stacy
Nov 03, 2016
Sofia
Feb 24, 2017
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told
“Thou are my only reality-- all other people are but shadows to me: all events and actions, in which thou dost not mingle, are but dreams.” 2 likes