Start by marking “The Bone Sword” as Want to Read:
The Bone Sword

The Bone Sword

Deserter on the run Malik emerges from the swamps of Plaiden seeking only shelter, food, and the time necessary to take the chill from his bones. But after a barroom brawl lands him in trouble with the local authorities, he flees to the mountains with two orphaned children who have the power to heal. Pursued by the vicious Father Ivory and his Nightshades, Malik and his ch ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Rhemalda Publishing (first published October 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Sword

Shamus McCarty
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Provost
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it

The Bone Sword tells the story of Malik, a sort of rogue guardsman/mercenary whose been on the run for far too long. He's resigned to the fact that he's a killer, until he meets a pair of blond siblings, Noah and Jasmine, under rather strange circumstances. Jasmine is a healer, but beyond healing Malik's ravaged body she heals his spirit, and gives him something to live for.

When we first meet Malik, member of the Camden Guard and bearer of a bone sword, he seems like an old, battle-hardened sold
Evie
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastically imagined book that was! I can't even begin to express my amazement at Rhein's fabulous world and character building. This book is so action packed, so entertaining and fun to read, you will be BLOWN AWAY.

Malik is one of the most likable characters I have ever met in literature. Intriguing, strong, brave, totally bad-ass - he's just the kind of hero you want to see in a clear-cut fantasy adventures!

The plot line itself isn't overly complex, but it also doesn't aspire to be
Heather
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I won a copy of this book through Goodread's Giveaways.

I enjoyed this book. I felt it started a little slow but once I got into it, I didn't want to stop.

The story centers around Noah, Jasmine and Malik. Noah and Jasmine are twins. Jasmine is able to heal people and is labeled evil by the Bishop. She and her brother were saved from death by Malik. Malik struggles with his past and how to be a good person.

I enjoyed the struggle between good and evil, even though sometimes the lines may have seeme
Kristy
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I won this one from a Goodreads giveaway. :D ...good story, well-written. If you like Japanese samurai type movies, you'll probably like this story. A lone warrior challenges an evil empire to protect two orphans; can you beat a plot like that? Non-stop action throughout the book.
edifanob
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2010-reads
That is a tough debut novel with a lot of action and thoughtful passages.
I would have given 4.5 stars but that is not possible.

Read my full review over at Edi's Book Lighthouse.
Douglas Brown
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Sword is a intense and fun ride through a cleverly crafted fantasy world. You can't help but root for Malik at every turn. I recommend buying Walter Rhein's The Bone Sword for anyone who wants to have an action-packed adventure.
Tiffany Cole
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Miscony is a dark world.

With murder-crazy dictators like Father Ivory and the Earl controlling the Nightshades, a scary force of soldiers, Miscony really can't be any other way. It's a world where a loving family gets punished simply because one of the children have a 'demonic ability' to heal and refused to just watch their father die, a world that does not seek compromise unless by force.

Malik is, in a sense, Miscony personified. Right from the start, he's terribly ill, a loner with dark sec
Woodwhisperer
Apr 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
The Bone Sword, a novel by Walter Rhein, published by Rhemalda Publishing

I cannot recall the last time I was happier to be finished a book. The Bone Sword was donated to the monthly pool of titles which are handed out to Goodreads subscribers and as such I felt it my duty to give the book a fair read and an honest assessment afterwards. What I will not do is nit-pick at the author. Writing is challenging enough without also having to deal with often nasty critiques from readers of questionable s
Dawn Prough
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Book Review: The Bone Sword by Walter Rhein—3 stars

Disclaimer: I received a free e-copy of this book for the review.

Warning: There are spoilers and hints of spoilers in this review.

Bone Sword is a fantasy novel focusing on two children and a swordsman. The swordsman, named Malik, is something of an antihero who is on the run from his powerful mentor in an elite guard. Malik manages to also anger the local nobility and church leadership as he tries to find a place where he can sell his skills wi
Travis Ludvigson
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Malik, a rouge swordsman fleeing his past, wants nothing more than to live a life of anonymity. Yet a fateful decision causes him to run afoul a wicked ruler and his fanatical priest. In the process he assumes the role of protector and mentor to a young brother and sister with unusual gifts that threaten the power the Earl and his priest cling to so desperately.

The Bone Sword by Walter Rhein is an exciting story that pairs a jaded, flawed warrior with naïve youth as they confront darkness disgui
Papi Z.
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I could not put it down once I started reading it. At a fit and trim 236 pages, you are introduced to the characters and the story line quickly and without bloated blather. There are no unnecessary words here, no long winded passages, it is a very economical book. Right away I was drawn to the main characters, well two of them. The other one I was mentally cheering for him to be murdered with extreme prejudice. Whether or not my wishes were granted… well you just have to read the book. I will t ...more
Daniel
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Daniel by: Rhemalda
Shelves: first-reads
I want to be honest:
The book was not that bad, but related to some others it can not keep up.

I was always able to feel myself into all of the characters and the story had some really nice ideas. The story of Malik, the protagonist, and its time at the Camden Guard is brilliant, but its that kind of story I would have liked to read all the time. Why are the interesting fighting scenes always that short? The main fight... *poff... over without any highlights.
Why are there so many dumb clichés?
Why
Rhonda
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Malik is traveling alone and he has a fever and its raining, He goes into a tavern to get somthing hot and warm up. A bully tries to bully him and tells him he has kneel down to him because he is cousin to the Earl who rules from the castle. malik cuts his throat and leaves. he hears dogs are hunting him down. He feels bad bud he traps and kills the dog.
on a small farm lives a man who is dying and his twins are with him. the doctor has called father Ivory to take care of dead. Jasmine has the gi
Jared
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I read The Bone Sword by Walter Rhein as a favor to the man and found it to overall be a pleasant experience. The book is a rollicking, fast-paced adventure with pretty interesting characters, a familiar yet intriguing world and some nice fantastical elements.

The good elements of this book included a back story that was revealed at a solid pace, action scenes that really get into the battles, speedy pacing and prose that is generally well-crafted and that at times flows with real magic.

A few i
Douglas Brown
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Bone Sword is a fun, action-packed adventure that follows a tough-as-nails warrior named Malik and a brother and sister team who are on the run from the evil Father Ivory. When I say evil, I mean torturing and lopping off hands and heads evil. A word of caution, this isn’t a story for the squeamish. The sister, Jasmine, has the ability to heal people which, as you can imagine, is blasphemy to self-proclaimed religious types such as Father Ivory.
If, when reading a book, the number one goal is
Scott
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Bone Sword by Walter Rhein follows Malik, a disgraced/runaway Camden's Guard (an elite military unit) and Noah and Jasmine, two kids one of which has the amazing power to heal. The character progression is a very strong point of this book. As Noah and Jasmine have no practical experience they show a lot of growth as they travel and learn. Malik, being an established warrior, has his history revealed through his memories and stories.

Father Ivory plays as a truly horrific villain. His lust fo
Terri
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
"The Bone Sword" is an exciting, action-packed book by Walter Rhein. Malik, a weakened warrior, stumbles into a barroom one night looking for warmth and rest. Instead, he finds himself in a fight against nobility, spirituality, and ultimately his own inner demons. After his skirmish with a cousin of the Earl, Malik crosses paths with twin brother and sister that hold the magical power to health the sick and wounded.

This book takes place in a medieval fantasy world, but unlike many stories taking
Catherine
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
The Bone Sword is a straightforward fantasy novel, which was at times predictable but was nonetheless a very enjoyable read. Considering the length of the book, which is only 232 pages, and the amount of information the author had to squeeze in, the story was fast-paced but very-well written.

I found Malik’s background the most intriguing and would actually have liked to have the Camden Guardsmen’s’ play a bigger part in the story, seeing as they seem to have a reputation for being great fighter
Cas Peace
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantasy novel of two depths. On the surface it is a well crafted and straightforward adventure tale utilising oppression as its theme. The perpetrators? One delightfully petulant Earl, and a deliciously malevolent priest. Add in two idealistic youngsters – one with healing powers – and a rather confused swordsman with a complicated past, and you have a great read, a fast moving page turner.
Yet look a bit deeper and you’ll find subtle insights into the characters’ minds and morality wh
Jesse Duckworth
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Someone once told me that it is a bad idea to read books from bad authors because it will negatively affect the way you write. When you pick up Walter Rhein's book "The Bone Sword" ... that is not something you have to worry about. From beginning to end, "The Bone Sword" is well written. Rhein wields metaphors brilliantly and demonstrates his mastery of the craft. He sprinkles his action with gore that I never felt was overdone and he unfolds a story about a solitary warrior named Malik. This is ...more
Kristen N.
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Malik one of the Elite Camden Gaurds. Tained swordsman, trained suriver, trained to handle an situation untill he finds hiself in a country he knows nothing of. Charged with murder and fated to die by burning at the stake. Fate intervines putting him in the same hold as Noah and his twin sister Jasmine. Newly orphaned and charged with witchery they too must burn at the stake. Fleeing with his new charges proves easy, but when an Earl gone mad sends a man of the cloth to retrieve the trio things ...more
Travis Hamon
May 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book to anyone. Within the first chapter the protagonist commits cold blooded murder because he's being bullied. Not a hero i want to read about, thanks. I admit that as far as the protagonist could tell the guy was a slime ball, but I believe 1) the punishment should fit the crime (of which crime the protagonist had no proof other than his own speculation), and 2) honor! Is it at all honorable to kill a man in cold blood? There are MUCH better ways to propel a plot th ...more
Kelly
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I won this on goodreads and I found this book to be a fairly fast read. It's a fantasy set during the medieval times with castles, an evil Earl, a strong warrior who possess "The Bone Sword", and a girl who holds the power to heal, and many other unique characters. My personal favorite was "Malik", but that might be obvious for those having read the book. The only complaint I have is that I found there were too many fighting scenes. Now, I do enjoy the medieval era, and I know it comes with swor ...more
Courtney
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

Although this book was formulaic, I enjoyed it. The writing is good, and the POVs of the main characters are described well. The fight descriptions are good, and it was easy to visualize the action. The villains were pretty cookie cutter and their motivations were standard (evil church, dumb nobility, etc.), but the good writing and the entertaining and interesting main characters made up for it. I read this book in one night, and it was a fun read. I reco
Lisa
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
The cover did not due the book justice, but we all know not to judge a book by it's cover!

The story started quickly and let a fast pace all throughout. It was pretty violent in some areas, but could be seen as realistic for the time.

I love stories of a strong warrior defending the innocent and having "tag-a-longs" who can hinder him at times. This made for a great storyline.

I would recommend this book for anyone who likes medieval stories with a strong female.

This was a Goodreads ARC Giveaway.
James
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Julia
Apr 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm reviewing this for free as a Goodreads First Read book.

Man that was bad. Grammar/editing was awful awful awful, and there was a lot of basic mistakes that good critical feedback would have solved. I have a feeling that what the author was writing would have worked far better in a more graphic medium. Only made it 3 chapters in before I gave up.
Jill Hunter
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t a huge fan of this book. It’s a pleasant enough story; I just didn’t get sucked into like I usually do with a good book. It might be geared more to a younger reader than me might be the problem. I felt like I never really got to know the characters, nor particularly care about them. I thought it could have used more detail to “flesh out” the story.
Nancy
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Battle from beginning to end. Non stop action and a well crafted story. It is a small book so its possible to finish in a day or two but a very fun read. I enjoyed the story the best there was no stop of action and it kept the story going. I recommend.

goodreads giveaway

• Blood of Adoria (Guardians of Legend #2)
  • Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King
  • The Animal
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • The Last Great Wizard of Yden (Yden #1)
  • Quantum (Portal Chronicles, #3)
  • Mate Night: Kane (Southern Shifters, #2)
  • The Trap (The Magnificent 12, #2)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • One Season of Sunshine (Cedar Springs, #2)
  • The Clockwork Man
  • The Shadowed Path
  • Starstruck
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
  • Grimpow y la Bruja de la Estirpe
  • Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2)
  • Probability Angels
Walter Rhein was born in northern Wisconsin. After earning a degree in English literature, he began traveling and teaching English in various parts of the world. He currently splits his time between South America and Wisconsin and may be contacted at: walterrhein@gmail.com. Be sure to check out his blog at www.HeroicFantasyWriters.com.