Start by marking “The MacArthur Study Bible - English Standard Version (ESV)” as Want to Read:
The MacArthur Study Bible - English Standard Version (ESV)

The MacArthur Study Bible - English Standard Version (ESV)

4.77  ·  Rating details ·  516 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
For years, the spiritual lives of countless men and women all over the world have been strengthened with the help of The MacArthur Study Bible. This all-in-one spiritual library contains Dr. MacArthur's personal study notes below the full-length Bible text. Virtually every Scripture has a matching study note with detailed information, explanation, and helpful insight. The ...more
Published August 10th 2010 by Crossway Bibles

Be the first to ask a question about The MacArthur Study Bible - English Standard Version

Christopher
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
My old NIV Bible, which I had had since high school, was coming apart and I got this for my birthday last year from my grandparents. After having followed through with (most of) my scheduled year-through-the-Bible, I can give a full account of what I think of this MacArthur Study Bible. I've split my review into two, one encompassing the ESV language and the other encompassing John MacArthur's study notes that accompany this Bible.

ESV Language Review:
I had wanted to switch to the ESV Bible beca
Luke
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I didn't know much about John MacArthur except that he was Calvinist, so I was skeptical when a friend gave me this Bible. I knew that I would disagree with some of his theology. But this study Bible gives a lot more than just theological notes. What I really lacked was historical context for confusing passages, and that is a strength of this study Bible.

I often read a $2 NKJV that has 5 years of my underlines and scribblings, but I have several study Bibles, and after reviewing all of them on c
Leland
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is so rewarding to have read the complete Bible for the first time, I really cannot believe I did. I started on a 90 day plan and even though I got behind, I still proceeded everyday to the next reading regardless of how much I missed. This got me committed to the goal and in the habit of reading.

The good part about reading the Bible is having had read it, the bad thing is trying to do it in a book like way, from beginning to end in a time limit, limits the amount of time one can reflect on
Ronald
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The study notes of pastor-teacher John MacArthur with the English Standard Version (ESV) translation of the Bible ... what a great combination! The notes are clear & helpful. The theological section is informative. Currently, part of the 50% off select bibles from Family Christian Stores until (I believe) November 8th, 2012.
Brad Francis
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The notes are thorough and well-reasoned. Keeping in mind that the commentary is written by fallible humans, MacArthur is clearly intelligent and godly and his thoughts are well worth considering and praying about. I read every single one.
Rebekah Murillo
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Bible. The footnotes are very well written and I appreciate the cross references for apologetics. I received my copy Christmas of 2010 and I use it for everything: Bible study, church, apologetics... It's a great book.
John Funderburg
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Word of God will stand forever!
Mike Star
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome study bible!John MacArthur is one of the best.
Carole Parma
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ESV is very readable, with the translation excellence of the NASB.
Mike
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading this version of the Bible (ESV). Many of the difficult passages are refreshed by this translation. I look forward to doing it again in the near future.
Iain
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lutheran
The current flagship Cavlinist study bible.
Paul Bugriyev
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's great but not better than ESV Study.
Miriam
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
notes are very helpful and align with Calvinist views
Donna
  • Worship: The Ultimate Priority
  • New Testament Commentary Survey
  • The Great Exchange: My Sin for His Righteousness
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament
  • The Epistle to the Hebrews
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
“2[†] q If anyone imagines that he knows something,  r he does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But if anyone loves God,  s he is known by God.” 1 likes
“1 JOHN—NOTE ON 2:15 Do not love the world. Although John often repeats the importance of love and that God is love (4:7–8), he also reveals that God hates a certain type of love: love of the world (John 15:18–20). In this text, John expresses a particular form of the fourth test (i.e., the test of love). Positively, the Christian loves God and fellow Christians. Negatively, an absence of love for the world must habitually characterize the love life of those to be considered genuinely born again. “Love” here signifies affection and devotion. God, not the world, must have the first place in the Christian’s life (Matt. 10:37–39; Phil. 3:20). the world. This is not a reference to the physical, material world but the invisible spiritual system of evil dominated by Satan (see notes on 2 Cor. 10:3–5) and all that it offers in opposition to God, his word, and his people (cf. 1 John 5:19; John 12:31; 1 Cor. 1:21; 2 Cor. 4:4; James 4:4; 2 Pet. 1:4). the love of the Father is not in him. Either one is a genuine Christian marked by love and obedience to God, or one is a non-Christian in rebellion against God, i.e., in love with and enslaved by the satanically controlled world system (Eph. 2:1–3; Col. 1:13; James 4:4). No middle ground between these two alternatives exists for someone claiming to be born again. The false teachers had no such singular love, but were devoted to the world’s philosophy and wisdom, thereby revealing their love for the world and their unsaved state (cf. Matt. 6:24; Luke 16:13; 1 Tim. 6:20; 2 Pet. 2:12–22).” 0 likes