Start by marking “The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)

The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  225 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Rosette is a child of two worlds: Gaela‚ steeped in magic‚ and an Earth choked with failing technology. The key to their survival is literally in her blood‚ a spell passed down through her family line to preserve the one they′re sworn to protect.

Unaware of her lineage‚ Rosette runs scared when her family is murdered. She takes refuge with Nell‚ a shape−shifting high priest
Published July 31st 2010 by Voyager (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Spell of Rosette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spell of Rosette

Kim Falconer
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My first published novel, and the first in the Gaela/Earth saga :)
Lara Moon
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these adventure, other worldly type of stories. I really enjoyed reading this, and the twists in it! I'm not much of a cat person, but Temple Cats appeal to me and sound like great companions. Her use of character creates a sense of parallel reality, like this world could exist. The fight scenes were well executed, as well as description of settings. Kim Falconer's world sounds like a magical place to be!
Beth
I don't really have much to say about the book itself since I can't really get into it. But I do have a comment about the authors online presence.

I am very openminded. I have astrologer, wiccan, etc friends who I adore. But when I go to look for an authors website so I can see their novels and the order and brief synopsis... I expect to find them. I mean.. it just seems pretty no-brainer to provide that to people. It also entices folks to read more.

But nope! What I found was an astrology site
Larissa
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Earth in the 21st Century is facing an environmental crisis. The organisation ASSIST has been formed to engage this problem. To help ASSIST is the JARROD, unfortunately for JARROD ASSIST does not like what it hears and has taken action against JARROD. The only hope lies with a Techno-Witch and a DNA splicing scientist.

Gaela is a world that's pure in its beauty and its resources. It is a world of peace with few villages and fewer cities, with small farms dotting the lands. Technology has not touc
Shima
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I never leave books unfinished, I can't remember another time when I wished to do so quite as hard.
To put it simply, there was nothing I liked about this book.
I didn't like the plot, in fact I didn't believe there was much of one, certainly nothing that made sense anyway. I didn't like the writing and certainly not the lack of world building. There wasn't a single chracter I cared about and more than anything I didn't like the fact that it turned reading into an unpleasent chore to be avoided
Kylie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, will be going on my favourites list. I definitely want to continue to read this series. I liked the concept of the the book, it's very different from what I've read before. The ending surprised me, although it felt a bit rushed and a little unbelievable, so much happened in such a short time it was hard to take in. I felt Rosette was to accepting and trusting at times. I'm a cat person so Rosette's familiar was awesome. Magic AND cat's, I'm there! Kim's writing was ea ...more
Kylie
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Its hilarious that its tonight, the night after my sister's wedding that I choose to review this book, since I recall very, very clearly the day she left me in a bookshop while she went shopping -- and I had promised I 'would not buy any books, I swear, I swear' -- and I walked out with 'The Spell of Rosette' tucked under my arm. My little sister just rolled her eyes and laughed.
I had bought it because - one - it had a recommendation by Tradi Harding, my fave Australian Author, and two - the bl
Gilbert Smith
The concept for this book could have been great, but I just don't think it was pulled off well. It started off on a fairly good foot, explaining the issues Earth is facing and the multi-world gateways that connect to Earth, but as soon as it started talking about the concept of magic, quantum entities that can create bodies from nothing, shapeshifting through DNA manipulation, and familiars, things just got too vague with no explanation whatsoever of how any of it worked. I think the magic in th ...more
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spell of Rosette is a stunning read. Join Rosette, Jarrod, Kreshkali and An' Lawrence as they battle to save a dying Earth.Kim Falconer creates the worlds of Gaela and a post-apocalyptic Earth in such an effortless manner, the reader is instantly transported without any over-bearing detail and explanation. Falconer's characters are wonderfully multi-dimensional and allow you to journey with them, as one of them. I can't wait to continue the ride with the Quantum Enchantment and Quantum Encry ...more
Maggie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while to read this one, but once I got into the story I finished it quickly. Not the sort of book you can pick up and put down and still follow the story, especially in the early chapters (and the final few too). It involves a bit of everything -science, astrology, fantasy, travel, magic and sorcery - all sorts of good things. I have the other two books in this series and I'm looking forward to reading them.
K.
Giant telepathic companion cats! If nothing else kept my attention in this novel, those would. Thankfully, the world and supporting cast also kept me awake. I will admit that my eyes started to glaze over nearly any time they mentioned quantum mechanics or the concept of time as a non-linear function. My brain is not good enough to wrap itself around those concepts. Fortunately, there were enough fantasy elements to keep my slow little mind engaged despite the hard-to-reach science.
L Kyi
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book - a creative union of magic and science with portals, spells, viruses and lupins all thrown into the mix. The book got me hooked most of the way but the ending seems somewhat a bit rushed... Looking forward to the next book.
Amy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started off so well, and had a genuinely interesting premise. Unfortunately, the second half of the book was incredibly rushed and little description or explanation of important events was given. Disappointing.
Jennie
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this one because a bunch of people raved about it, but I didn't get into it. Not sure why, probably no fault of the author, jsut my own changing tastes and impatience. I haven't read any of the author's other work based on my tepid dislike of this one.
Celia
I think having a heroine called "Rosette" (gag me) is very hard to pull off - and Falconer didn't. I didn't get far into this.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique and enjoyable blend of science fiction, technology, and fantasy. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Astrid Cooper
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A challenging read, intriguing characters and world set-up.
Meg Laverick
All the rage has faded since I read this. Now I'm just disappointed. There was potential there and it was squandered. Sadness ensued.
Bailey Atkinson
Nov 12, 2012
Neville Christensen
Sep 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • Hear Me Roar
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
Kim Falconer is a bestselling speculative fiction author with nine published novels. Her work is described as contemporary and ancient, dark and compelling, humorous, romantic, provocative, and supercharged with blockbuster action. Originally from California, she lives on the far eastern coast of Australia with a house full of kids, and one extraordinary spotted cat.

Along with her author websites,
More about Kim Falconer...

Quantum Enchantment (3 books)
  • Arrows of Time (Quantum Enchantment, #2)
  • Strange Attractors (Quantum Enchantment, #3)

“If consciousness is currency, I've got me a goldmine!” 4 likes