Start by marking “Happiness Sold Separately” as Want to Read:
Happiness Sold Separately

Happiness Sold Separately

Dream boyfriend not included.

When she moved to New York, Ryan Hadley imagined living the big-city-sitcom kind of life with all the trimmings -- great apartment, dream job, and a swept-off-your-feet, how-awesome-is-this-guy love. Of course, her real life is only so-so: not outstanding, nor bad enough to require medication. Ryan spends her days at a dreary data-entry job w
Published July 5th 2005 by Downtown Press (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Happiness Sold Separately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happiness Sold Separately

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPersuasion by Jane AustenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoySense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Headless Women
587 books — 138 voters
The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist SmithHome for the Holidays by Heather Vogel FrederickWhat My Mother Gave Me by Elizabeth BenedictThe Last Present by Wendy MassMom Still Likes You Best by Jane Isay
Gifts
29 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Happiness Sold Separately
Jane
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a chick lit genre connoiseur of sorts and this book took it to another level for me.

An honest one. For once, the heroine is flawed, confused (and boys are on the bottom of that list). This writing duo brought a great fresh face that is more about self empowerment and courage than getting the boy.

I adore this book. It's something I have on my shelf as a reminder that the art of trying new things and fulfilling your dreams is the step in the right direction towards relationship f
Eric Klee
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Happiness Sold Separately is pure, unapologetic chick lit. There's not much depth to the story, and the main character is likable...if she weren't so stupid and pathetic. In college, she meets a good, dropdead gorgeous guy with real life goals who only has eyes for her. He pays attention to her at parties and, when offered his dream job in L.A., he wants her to come along, where he'll support her until she can find employment. She declines.

Instead, she now she hangs with her two best friends in
LilBib’Phile
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Stacy Alderman
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
To be honest, this book started off a bit hokey and cliche for me, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it had some really important elements about growing up and making your own life. I enjoyed it, but felt like the resolution came on really suddenly and a little too perfect. Fun read though overall.
Dawn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well this book was not a thriller. Barely a page turner.
Sx
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Reading this felt like reading a reflection of my own thoughts in a fictional world. Two characters on two extreme end of the career spectrum meet again after breaking up in high school. There is Ryan Hadley, who doesn't seem to know what she wants in life and feels lost when she sees her friends moving up the corporate ladder, leaving her behind stuck in no man's land; and there is Charlie, who was so absorbed in his ambitions he left what he once was behind. Together, they rediscover their dre ...more
eRin
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ryan thinks that her life is pretty average until her three closest friends suddenly experience great things and she instantly feels left out and adrift. Quarter-life crisis. She is in a dead-end job and doesn't know what she wants to do (aside from becoming queen of a small island nation). Then there's that pesky business of her ex-boyfriend suddenly reappearing in her life--and not going away anytime soon. Ryan is confused, but she makes a plan to completely change her life and she'll follow i ...more
Mandy
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women, people who enjoy the genre "drama", those interested in the dynamics of a marriage
Shelves: from-the-library
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the characters. It was funny, it was sad, it was entertaining and compelling, though low key and, I suppose you could say, fairly lightweight. It helped me understand aging, how a good person cheats, the dynamics in marriage, and other stuff. It made me reflect quite a bit about my own marriage. I realize this review is the equivalent of a first grader's book report, but it's this or nothing for now. I highly recommend it to you, or to myself a bit down th ...more
Jenna
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really cute. The only problem that I had is that the women who wrote the book set out to write a book that didn't necessarily have a cliched ending but a real ending. I think the ending was a little cliched. I mean everything comes together and works out perfectly for her in the end. The guy is perfect and willing to help her achieve all her life's goals. It just seems like all the problems are solved and wrapped up in a pretty bow by the end when a real ending wouldn't h ...more
Jordan Thurman
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has to be one of the most brilliantly written books I have ever read. I'm not one to pay attention to the writing style much in books, but I found so much joy in how this story was presented. It was a delight to read and I often found myself laughing out loud. The main character, Ryan, is so easy to relate to and it is so easy to find yourself cheering for her because of that. I think this book also has a great message about not letting fear stop you from experiencing a beautiful life.
Kristen
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Funny, my best friend and I read this book at the same time, and each of us thought the other was Ryan (the main character). Ryan is the lovable bumbling friend that every has but no one thinks they are.
This is a quick fun read, with good characters and great friendships. I loved it even more when I found out the book was written over email by two best friends. Read it and get a copy for your best friend.
Ashley
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very fun lighthearted read! The characters and subject matter are very relatable. Who hasn't felt like everyone around them seemed to be moving on and up with life while you are just stuck? Some parts in the end seemed a bit out there, but I guess when you are a young 20 something living in NY anything can happen.
Kiara
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was totally work it. It might seem a little generic to some people -it did to me at first- but once you dive in, I found myself captivated and enjoying the main characters journey from the bottom to the top. It was witty, spunky and fun -with romance, which never hurt anyone. I really loved it. In fact, I consider it one of my fave's ever. So, yes. Definitely read it.
Christine
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was one of my least favorite...ever. It's about a girl, who gave up an apparently great guy, and then her life went to crap. Then the book goes along with no apparent direction. Then at the end she ends up back with the guy (after a lot of stupid drama) and OMG life is perfect because she has a boyfriend!!!! Seriously, it really irritated me.
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
I got this book thinking it was a different book with the same title that was talked about on NPR. Turns out... it's some major chick lit about a girl going through a quarter life crisis. And not all that great at that. Not bad enough for me to stop reading though.
Jen
Feb 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This is one of the few chick-lit books I've enjoyed. It's upbeat, fresh, has NYC as a backdrop and characters which are extremely relatable. It reminded me of Sex and the city but with a younger cast and different backdrop. A fun read.
Karin
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very Sex and the City-ish, without the sex. Totally light and predictable. 20 somethings living in New York City trying to have the dream career and dream man at the same time. Very very light reading...bordering on Young Adult reading.
Joanna
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it
I was all wrapped up in this book and am very disappointed at the end.
Tricia Frazer
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
My childhood friends Emily & Sarah co-wrote this book. I really enjoyed it! ...more
Kristy
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Typical Chic-lit book.. very predictable but also a very feel-good book. I saw the ending coming from the beginning but it WAS a cute book.
Alexis
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Even though it was predictable I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Perhaps it just really fit my mood while I was reading it, or perhaps I am just a complete sucker for those happy endings!
Jenifer
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Kind of predictable but a very quick read. Brain Candy!
Pamela
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is a good summer read. It's a little predictable, but is very funny at times. So much so, I caught myself laughing out loud, ha.
Bev
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read--chick lit with humor--which is something I enjoy when my brain is fried and I need an escape. Loved the references to Mr. Darcy--could definitely relate.
venus
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to venus by: June Yi
June, thanks for the book! I just finished it and it was a fun, light, laugh-out-loud kind of read I needed.
Sara
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Chick-lit at it's best.
Wendy
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I totally loved it though. She caught my attention and made me totally laugh! Highly recomemd this to all!
Jolene Perry
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun cute read. I have no idea what the title has to do with the book but it was a nice book about moving forward and self-discovery with a great little love story on the side.
Eden
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this book about a third of the way through. The characters were not well fleshed out, and the narrator was so wimpy and whiny I couldn't take her anymore.
Sylvia F
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
It was very amusing, I liked it a lot. It's very predictable but still it was so much fun (and very easy) to read.

• Echoes of Family
  • Fallen Skies
  • Naamah
  • One True Loves
  • The Unfinished Garden
  • Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)
  • Calling Me Home
  • The Promise Between Us
  • 'Tis
Libby Street is the pseudonym for the writing team of Emily S. Morris and Sarah Bushweller.

Emily and Sarah met on Liberty Drive in Dover, Delaware at the age of four and have been best friends ever since. Twenty years later, they began writing together via email and telephone--just trying to make each other laugh.

Recently, they've been busy with growing families and film and television projects. T

News & Interviews