Start by marking “Shade” as Want to Read:
Shade

Shade (Jumper #2.5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  748 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Steven Gould's classic SF novel Jumper is the story of a young man with a single mysterious superpower: he can teleport anywhere, in the blink of an eye. Now, in a story set after Jumper's sequel Reflex, we see that a single mysterious superpower can add up to a lot of different kinds of miracle…

In 2008 Jumper was brought to the screen as a big-budget SF adventure of the s
Published July 20th 2010 by Tor Books (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shade, please sign up.

Bryan Jones Not sure it will as its only 32 pages long and takes about 10 minutes to read. A totally awesome 10 minutes mind :)

Bob
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooktbl
This is a 5633 word short story that is available (free when I read it on 08/02/2010) online at http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/08/shade
Badseedgirl
I guess I should read the Jumper books.
Danielle
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Shade is a short story set between Reflex and Impulse. Millie and Davy help a village in an unknown country where all the water has dried up. Shade definitely helps show the humanitarians that Millie and Davy become during the series. I found it interesting to see this different side to them, instead of the constant threat of being captured for being 'jumpers'.
Definitely read this if you enjoy the book series.

You can read it for free here.
Lata
#20 short story read -- couldn't read much yesterday, thx to migraine.

This was ok, but I found the transformation of the camp a little too fast post-lake.

Liked Xareed.

2.5 stars.
Cathrine Bonham
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for free at http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/08/shade

This not book it is a short story. But it was still great. I wish it could have had more of Davy and Millie but it was fun to see someone discovering their abilities and really just going with it. Personally I would have freaked out but this young refugee just really wanted to believe in a miracle.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Its a testament to Steven Gould's writing that I enjoyed this story so much when I haven't read any of the main story (Jumper, etc).
This was a very short story that was well put together, interesting and compelling enough to make me go get the other stories.
Bryan Jones
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the first two, bought this one. It's only 32 pages long and takes only a few minutes to read, but it could be every bit a chapter from one of the first two jumper series...ok, actually the second one, but still an excellent use of a coffee break.
Ylva
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, short
Short story set in the Jumper universe. I saw the film almost a decade ago, but don't remember the characters. Or even if the two jumpers in this were the same people. Easy to follow even without having read the other books, maybe too easy? Also came across with a wee bit of white savior vibes, even if I appreciate the setting being a bit different than the norm.
Ryan McArthur
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Andor
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to see the jumper couple back in action, nice short story.
We can have a glimpse at their post-Reflex life: still helping around the world, but being cautious not to leave any signs that could lead their enemies to Canada, where they secretly live.

I can't wait for the 3rd book, Impulse. January 2013 is a damn long wait though.
Jumper and Reflex are among my most beloved books.
Christabel
Read this back when I was waiting for Impulse to come out. It's a nice short story set in the Jumper universe. It doesn't add much in the way of plot, but if you want to get more of Dave and Millie then give it a go :)
Katherine
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-shorts
Simple, heartfelt, and a nice glimpse into what David and Millie have decided to do with their lives. Enjoyed the richly created scenery in such a short time and truly understood Millie at the end- found myself laughing right along with her. Beautiful little story.
Keith
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't usually add short stories to my goodreads list, but since I discovered this story through goodreads I decided to break my policy.

This was available to read for free on tor.com. I like the comment "teleportuers sans frontieres"
Becky
It's an interesting look at Davey and Millie from the outside, but it's too short for me to invest in or care about the story. I'm just not that fond of short stories.
Christopher Richmond
This was a nice story involving David and Millie. It's interesting to see them from another perspective besides each other as in the first two novels.
Raphael Clayette
Nice little story. Helping poor africa.
I would have liked one story from after "reflex", like a more developped shade. Will soon read "impulse".
Dale (Aus)
Quick short story.
Chris Knight
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but basically a short story instead of a novel.
Lukas Lovas
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and nice :) Liked it, because it reminded me of all the good stuff in Jumper series. Worth reading, if you're a fan :)
Kimikimi
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tor-com
Apparently part of a larger series. This is good, very good. The main character is this great little boy who keeps thinking of others before himself.
Shanna
A short vignette of a story. Interesting build to the characters of Jumper.
David Lipely
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok short story! Satisfied my need for the original characters, except cent, and opened up another story.
Paul
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful short story. Loved it! Thanks, Steven
Type40
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
Very good, wish it was longer our that there were more like it.
James F. Evans
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hold-up-x-3
It's good and gave me a much needed Jumper fill-up!
Martin
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short interlude between JUMPER novels. It was a fun read though... What would "Jumping" look like when seen by somewhat primitive but desperate people? The Gods Must be Crazy?
Ringy12
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing story! Now being one of my all time fav. plots. It will be well worth your time even if u have not read the rest of the series.
Ita
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A lovely feel-good story. It says a lot about the author, who must be a real mensch.
Susan
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2013, 2015, 2017
re-read 3/8/2013
re-read 4/7/2015
Multiculturalism ...: "Shade", by Stephen Gould (author of Jumper) 1 8 Jul 29, 2013 08:57PM
  • The Things that Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away
  • Elegy Beach
  • A Young Man with Prospects
  • The Long Man (Sci Fi Essential Books)
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
  • The Secret History of The Last Colony
  • Burning Girls
  • Deception Well (The Nanotech Succession, #2)
  • Stone Hunger (The Broken Earth)
  • Shall We Gather
  • Ceremonias - Final del Juego y Las Armas Secretas
  • How Lovely Are Thy Branches (Young Wizards #9.5)
  • A Few Good Men (Darkship, #3)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Inception: The Cobol Job
  • The Lost Tales of Mercia (Lost Tales of Mercia #1-10)
  • Equoid (Laundry Files, #2.9)
Steven Charles Gould is an American science fiction author. His novels tend to have protagonists fighting to rid government of corrupt antagonists. The struggle against corruption is the focus, rather than the technology.
More about Steven Gould...

Jumper (4 books)
  • Jumper (Jumper, #1)
  • Reflex (Jumper, #2)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Exo (Jumper, #4)
“God’s Blessing are more numerous than those growing trees. /Muhammad Abdullah Hassan, Defeat of the Infidels/” 1 likes