Start by marking “Every Second Counts” as Want to Read:
Every Second Counts

Every Second Counts

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  3,915 Ratings  ·  250 Reviews
The five-time Tour de France winner and Number 1 New York Times bestselling author returns with an inspirational account of his recent personal and professional victories—and some failures—and an intimate glimpse into how almost dying taught him to really live.

Since the release of his megabestseller, It’s Not About the Bike, Lance Armstrong has enjoyed a new series of thr
Published June 1st 2004 by Three Rivers Press (first published October 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Every Second Counts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Second Counts

David
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an author that I wanted to hate, when I was half way through the book, because much of what he says comes off sounding arrogant and self-centered. He talks of his accomplishments, his ceaseless drive, how unfairly he was treated by those who thought he was doping, his generosity, his many homes, and then goes on to describe how he’s “just a regular guy” (like the reader is suppose to believe that he really believes that.) But I have to concede that his incredible accomplishments entitle ...more
James
While the previous biography, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, had the redeeming feature of being about his impressive return from cancer to not only return to competitive professional cycling, but to win the Tour de France. This sequel suffers from the same poor ghost writing, but without any story. While the first book was a story, the story of his fight, this book is more of a recruitment pamphlet for the cult of Lance.
Alastair McDermott
Despite believing that Lance Armstrong was a drug using cheat, I really enjoyed his first book "It's Not About The Bike". It was a well written, compelling story. Lance is an example for everyone not to give up, not just cyclists or cancer patients, regardless of whether he's using performance enhancing substances or not.

Of course "It's Not About The Bike" was not near enough to dissuade me that Lance's actions on Stage 18 of TDF 2004 were anything but the actions of a bully forcing a smaller ma
Sumedh
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from the events where he blatantly defends his drug accusation and narrates emotional & mental stress he is undergone with due to such events, and how unbelieving was his performance to others who committed to see him through a spectrum of doping and which he describes as purely an outcome of his dedication and focus.

The rest of tale is about how he sees the fellow cancer patient describing his empathy, emotions, efforts & perspective which he tries to percolate to them in order t
David
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes up where the first ("It's Not About the Bike") left off. Armstrong briefly reviews his bout with testicular cancer, and then talks about the next several years of his life, including the second through fifth of his consecutive "Tour de France" victories. There's much more detail in this volume about the cycling experience itself - training, how a team works together, the races, the traditions and emotions. It's a great "look behind the scenes."

Unfortunately, Armstrong spent a goo
Charles
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you can read it a decade ago then it's inspirational. If you read it now then it just seems hypocritical.
Hazel
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every Second Counts, by Lance Armstrong, tells the story of his life after he overcame cancer. Armstrong is a seven-time Tour De France winner, which is arguably the hardest cycling race on the planet. He wrote this book in collaboration with Sally Jenkins, a sports writer. It is the second book by Lance Armstrong, after he wrote his first autobiography, “It’s Not About The Bike”. I was unaware of a second book until, by chance, I stumbled upon it. I think that it is an injustice to have this bo ...more
Glenda
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the Spanish version, though that's what seems to come up here... :)

Rather than a review, just posting some of my favorite quotes from the book to "preserve them".

"What it teaches is this: pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."

"Mortal illness, like most personal catastrophes, comes on suddenly. There's no great sense of foreboding, no premonition, you just wake up one morning and something's wrong in your lungs, or your liver, or your bones. But near-death cleared the decks,
Nick Ravaji
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"So it looks as thought I'm going to live - at least for another 50 years or more. But whenever I need to reassure myself of this, as I sometimes do.."

Armstrong's second book is a remarkably balanced account of his attempt to adjust to an 'ordinary' life after his extraordinary battle against cancer and subsequent win of the Tour de France with the US Postal team.

Lance does a commendable job at describing the difficulties that he encounters in trying to fulfill his roles as husband; father; canc
Prashant
This one is again a great book by lance and for me this book is more about telling the life of an athlete and what does he goes about in his life -How he balances his family, friends, and cycling.

This book starts -once the lance won his 1st title in the race and is is getting ready for the next one and how he keeps winning till the time he ends up winning his 5th title.

While there are surely few instances where he gives you advise for life i.e. 'You may not be able to solve the world problem tho
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • Put Me Back on My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • We Might As Well Win: On the Road to Success with the Mastermind Behind a Record-Setting EightTour de France Victories
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime
  • Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle Against Fate, Fame, Love, Death, Scandal, and a Few Other Rivals on the Road to the Tour de France
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel With a Pro Cyclist
  • Tour de Lance: The Extraordinary Story of Lance Armstrong's Fight to Reclaim the Tour de France
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and the U.S. Postal Cycling Team
  • In Pursuit of Glory
  • Lanced: the shaming of Lance Armstrong
  • Between the Lines: The Autobiography
  • Lance Armstrong
Lance Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson) is a retired American professional road racing cyclist. He had won the Tour de France seven consecutive times, from 1999 to 2005, but in 2012 he was disqualified from all his results since August 1998 for using and distributing performance-enhancing drugs and banned from professional cycling for life. Previously, he also survived testicular cancer, a g ...more
More about Lance Armstrong...
“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” 4607 likes
“When you win, you don't examine it very much, except to congratulate yourself. You easily, and wrongly, assume it has something to do with your rare qualities as a person. But winning only measures how hard you've worked and how physically talented you are; it doesn't particularly define you beyond those characteristics.

Losing on the other hand, really does say something about who you are. Among other things it measures are: do you blame others, or do you own the loss? Do you analyze your failure, or just complain about bad luck?

If you're willing to examine failure, and to look not just at your outward physical performance, but your internal workings, too, losing can be valuable. How you behave in those moments can perhaps be more self-defining than winning could ever be. Sometimes losing shows you for who you really are.”
41 likes