Start by marking “All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)” as Want to Read:
All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)

All Shall Be Well

(Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #2)

Perhaps it is a blessing when Jasmine Dent dies in her sleep. At long last an end has come to the suffering of a body horribly ravaged by disease. It may well have been suicide; she had certainly expressed her willingness to speed the inevitable. But small inconsistencies lead her neighbor, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid of Scotland Yard, to a startling conclusion: Jasmine ...more
Published August 24th 2010 by Scribner (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All Shall Be Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Shall Be Well

Julie
All Shall be Well by Deborah Crombie is a 2004 Avon/Harper Collins publication.

This is the second book in the Kincaid /James series, and was originally published in 1995.

When Duncan’s neighbor, Jasmine, who is terminally ill, passes away, it shouldn’t have been all that much of a shock, but something doesn’t seem to add up. So, Duncan employs Gemma to help him sort through his neighbor’s past, interviewing nurses, other neighbors and relatives, some of whom claim Jasmine was suicidal.

Was Jasm
Alex is The Romance Fox
I discovered this series by chance and I am so happy to have found yet another British mystery/thriller/police procedural series - yes, I have spent the last month or two totally immersed in this genre.

All Shall be Well, the 2nd book in Deborah Crombie's Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James Series is even better than the 1st, All Shall Be Well.

Something about Scotland Yard Supt. Duncan Kincaid's friend and neighbour's apparent suicide makes him feel uneasy and when a post-mortem reveals an overdose
Rosa, really

Excellent narration and I enjoyed the Britishness of it. It's the perfect thing to listen to while I'm working -- it's there, but if I'm busy with other things I don't feel like I've missed a lot of plot. Not sure if that's a great recommendation though. *shrugs*
Lynn Spencer
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've had mystery novels leave me with all sorts of emotions when I reach the end - satisfaction, anger, horror and more. This is one of the rare few I found heartbreaking and melancholy. However, that being said, I'm glad I read it because it's well-written.

In many novels, the victim is just that. The victim. However, in All Shall be Well, the book is at least as much about getting to know the late Jasmine Dent as it is about figuring out who or what did her in.

We learn at the beginning that Jas
Julie  Durnell
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-uk, mystery
This is just an excellent series, Duncan and Gemma are fleshed out a little more in book 2, and the whodunit part was well done. I like this series almost as much as M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth!
Bill
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was really good.

Genre writers often get a bad rap as being somewhat inferior to so-called literary writers. There's a lack of depth in characterization and it's the novels' strength of concepts or plots that make them succesful. Thankfully I've always known this to be utterly false and have never fallen for it.
Not only was this a very good mystery, but Deborah Crombie is a very good writer. Her pacing of narrative is pretty much perfect, making this a very fast read for me (note the novel i
LJ
ALL SHELL BE WELL – G+
Deborah Crombie – 2nd in series
Supr. Duncan Kincaid’s neighbor, Jasmine Dent, is found dead. She was terminally ill and had talked about suicide—but was it?

I hate to admit this is the first time I’ve read Crombie, but it won’t be the last. I very much enjoyed this British police procedural which focuses on solving the crime. This was neither dark nor gritty, which is my usual fare, but well-plotted, excellent characters and thoroughly enjoyable.
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After giving A Share In Death a shot based on my Amazon recommendations (although for the life if me, I can't figure out what happened to my review!!!) I became a near instant fan of the Kinkaid/James novels. All Shall Be Well leaves me confident that A Share In Death wasn't just a happy accident that turned into a fun and entertaining whodunnit.

In All Shall Be Well, a reclusive yet friendly neighbor of Duncan's suddenly dies in her sleep one night. Jasmine had been diagnosed with cancer and her
Susan
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This series improves a lot later. Great sense of character and place in this one, but the plot is weak. Gets resolved out of the blue in the last chapter.
Ellen
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crombie
All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2) by Deborah Crombie.

Jasmine Dent has been dying of an incurable disease when she dies. Apparently during her sleep, but Kincaid has arrived at another conclusion-murder. Since Jasmine had in the past spoken about the possibility of ending her suffering, what reason would someone have to kill her.

Gemma James reaches conclusions of her own pertaining to her life. These decisions may bring about major changes in her and Kincaid's lives.

I enjoy
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
This is #2 in a favorite series. The lead characters are smart and likable, and their relationship is developing. It's an interesting puzzle, solved by figuring out the clues, rather than a lot of action, but it moves right along.
Hallie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read my write-up of A Share in Death first, for closest approximation to sense.)

Duncan's being back in London did help quite a bit, and I continued to like Gemma and root for her to be able to manage juggling what has to be one of the harder jobs for a single mother of a young child. The melody that seemed to be increasingly turning into the theme song - "All the Ladies Love Duncan" - was at least a bit muted by the interesting murder victim, and the way it took a while for her death to be reco
Larraine
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into the Deborah Crombie series late and have been working to fill in some of the gaps. This is an old one from 1994. Douglas and Gemma are strictly business, but you can already see the feelings starting to come to the surface. When a neighbor of Douglas' dies from a morphine overdose, the first thing that comes to mind is suicide. Jasmine is nearing 50 & facing an end that includes feeding tubes and intense pain, so nobody is completely surprised. Her former coworker, a young woman ...more
Diane Challenor
I’m loving this series. The pace is just right for me, the crime solving is intriguing and the characters are well drawn. I’ll be loading down the next book in the series, ASAP.
maria helena
Enjoyable read. I enjoy the two main characters and will likely continue this series.
Paraphrodite
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3 stars.

Didn't really come together for me until the end. Lots of interesting red herrings. Kincaid seems a bit obsessive. Can't really see him and Gemma as a couple yet. But both characters are starting to be fleshed out. Will continue with the series to see how things play out.
Kathleen Hagen
All Shall be Well, by Deborah Crombie, a-minus, borrowed from Library Services for the Blind

This is the second book in the Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James mysteries, the first book which I read earlier, was “A Share in Death.” Kincaid is district superintendent, and Gemma is a sergeant. They work together at Scotland Yard but are not yet an item as they are in later books. In this one, Duncan comes home to find that a woman who lived in the apartment right below his was dead. Jasmine was very ill
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three & a half stars again. Entertaining and enjoyable crime mystery: Superintendent Kincaid's neighbor has died - was it suicide or murder? Nice, ordinary, realistic people and an easy read. I like Deborah Crombie's style of writing, and the story doesn't jump around. I think I'm becoming a fan of Kincaid & James.

Re-read: Upped to 4 stars because the emotion of the main characters is so palpable! The only reason it doesn't get another star is because it finishes rather abruptly, leaving
drk
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thought her first book was better, found this somewhat boring. Also found Kincaid's 'grief' at the death of his neighbour perplexing ... Why so affected? Didn't ring true. In the end I didn't really care who murdered Jasmine ... the ending seemed abrupt as though the author was bored with her characters.
Sherry Ramsey
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This is the second book in this new-to-me series, and every bit as enjoyable as the first. I read it almost as quickly as I listen to audiobooks! The mystery was satisfying, but it is the characters that really make these books for me. I'll be looking for #3 very soon.
Joanne
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An OK mystery. An odd author obsession with the physical characteristics of women.
Ed
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James series. This 1994 series entry by author Crombie is a fine sequel to the multiple award nominated series debut. The sudden death of his dying neighbor seems wrong to Detective Superintendent Kincaid and he orders a post mortem. Given a few days for investigation with partner Sergeant James, they follow the clues and hunches and the dead woman's 40 years worth of diaries. Not quite by the book but a worthwhile read and an entertaining mystery.

Jasmine Dent,
Lori
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Very glad to have discovered this series. The second installment was even more enjoyable than the first. The character of Duncan Kincaid is likable and intriguing. His partner Gemma James is equally engaging. The storyline of this particular mystery was excellent. Jasmine Dent, a neighbor and friend of Duncan's and terminally ill with cancer, dies. Almost as expected aside from a chance remark by her friend that sparks concern with Duncan to investigate further. Reluctantly he dives into the lif ...more
Connie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I like the characters and I also understood how this could have happened. The people in this book are real life people with real life problems that you can understand.

I figured out who the murderer was in the first couple of chapters, but I enjoyed how Kincaid and Gemma figured it out. I despised Roger and felt sorry for Meg.

To me this was a very good cozy! I am giving it 5 out of 5 stars. I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Debbie Robson
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Crombie’s All Shall Be Well is an interesting, easy to read crime mystery written in the 1990s, a decade where you could still tell a good, old fashioned story without technology and csi changing the face of investigations. It is only the second in the series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jones. Crombie is now up to an impressive 17th title published last month and I’m not surprised. She is a very capable, intelligent writer. It would be interesting to see how technology gradually a ...more
Kacy Robinson
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5⭐ I loved this one more than the first! Such a great mystery! Obsessed with this series. ...more
Mary
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started on this series. I'm enjoying it enough to continue in sequence. Easy reading.
Terri Lynn
The second book in Deborah Crombie's series about Scotland Yard's Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James is even better than the first book!

This book is better to me than the first because we learn even more about what makes both Duncan and Gemma tick.

It begins when Duncan's 49 year old neighbor, lung cancer victim, Jasmine Dent, is found dead by Duncan and a visiting nurse he helps pick the lock for when Jasmine fails to open the door. At first, it might be easily wri
Jan
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
I started this series because my current favourite author, Louise Penny, recommended it. I'm glad I did because I'm enjoying the series so far. I like the characterization of Duncan and Gemma and look forward to seeing how their relationship develops.
Paulette
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series.
Play Book Tag: All Shall be Well, Deborah Crombie. 4 Stars 4 13 Mar 31, 2016 11:26AM

• Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • The Vows of Silence (Simon Serailler, #4)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • The Veiled One (Inspector Wexford, #14)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 17 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 18th Kincaid/James novel, A BITTER FEAST, will be released by William Morrow in October, 2019.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
“A lifetime’s accumulation, she thought, of a woman who had cared about things—things loved for their color and texture and their associations rather than their material value.” 0 likes