Start by marking “Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)

Lord of Chaos

(The Wheel of Time #6)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  115,219 ratings  ·  2,287 reviews
In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world ...

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Re
Hardcover, First Edition, 716 pages
Published October 15th 1994 by Tor Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Chaos, please sign up.
Matthew Yes, he's clueless. It seems a lot of everyone's problems would be solved if thef didn't act like asses to everyone else just to "show them." From…moreYes, he's clueless. It seems a lot of everyone's problems would be solved if thef didn't act like asses to everyone else just to "show them." From Rand to Elayne to Mat to Nyneave. A bunch of arrogant asses, all.
That pronunciation threw me off as well. I think it's because it's breaking syllables in unexpected places: Cai-rhi-en(less)

·  115,219 ratings  ·  2,287 reviews

Kaora
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guide: How to Female in Wheel of Time:

-Learn something new. Assume you then know everything and make sure everyone who also knows how to do it is aware that you know more. Establish dominance by making something up and insisting on it.

-When first seeing another female be sure to judge her neckline first, followed by face, clothing and finally where she comes from.
-If a woman flirts with your man, get angry at him for being present while that occurred.

-If your man attempts to keep you safe or giv
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
What a damn idiot! I accidentally put both audios of book 5 and 6 on hold at the library. This one came through before the 5th book! I was thinking I missed something! Oh well, I loved it anyway. This effing cancer shit has me all messed up!!! And I feel like shit on top of it and apparently don't know what I'm doing 😡
Hannah Greendale
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lord of Chaos is 900+ pages of people posturing for power by standing (or sitting) around talking. Painfully slow pacing with very little tension that ultimately arrives at a limp ending. It's quite possible this book could be removed from the series altogether and none would be the wiser.
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The lions sing and the hills take flight. The moon by day, and the sun by night. Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool. Let the Lord of Chaos rule."

There is no going back. The Wheel of Time is now officially one of my favourite series of all time. At times while reading I got this weird, amazing feeling that only two other works of fantasy have given me before. There was something this sixth book had that took me over the edge and far down the other side. Or more specifically, something this book
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I could almost copy and paste my review for Fires of Heaven right here and it would be mostly suitable because Lord of Chaos is more of the same. This is another metropolitan-city-phonebook-sized novel with a potentially interesting story that is bogged down by its excruciatingly slow pace, regular insertions of backstory, constant descriptions of the garb of every major and minor character (garb which keeps getting smoothed, straightened, or otherwise adj
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I am done!!!!

That's it. I'm out. I will not be reading anymore of this series because it is so annoyingly repetitive. The story has not moved forward for three books and the chapters and monologues all feel the same. The paragraphs feel the same, the sentences feel the same. It's almost like Robert Jordan is more interested in hitting a massive word count rather than writing a good story.

I was still curious to see how the series ended so I googled it and read the spoilers. A solid ending, if
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I've completed Book 6 of the epic Wheel of Time buddy read with my amazing friend Branwen!

While the awesome parts of this book made it all worth reading (particularly that exciting battle at the end) I must confess this was my least favorite novel in the series so far. Still, the Wheel of Time books just get better from here on out...right? Right?!
(Umm...why did all the Wheel of Time fans start snickering at me just now???)

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Wheel of Time ranking photo from favorite novel to le
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

SO . . . I'm not gonna sugar-coat it, shit goes DOWN in this book.

There's the Morgase situation, which is one unfortunate event after another.

We've watched the Pattern rearrange itself for Rand, Mat, a
Robin (Bridge Four)
A new month a new Wheel of Time book with the fantasy fanatics of Buddies Books and Baubles.

This book is both engaging and infuriating. If I were to write 30 words or less that sum up my feelings about the series so far they would go something like this.
Never have I read a series that I like so much based mostly on worldbuilding, plot and cultures while disliking or struggling with most of the characters.

The continuing fight against The Dark One or Lord of Chaos and his chosen is really wel
seak
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2012, reread
To review this book, I have to start by telling a little story about my history with this series, and more specifically with this book.

It was in the great year of ought 7 (2007) when I was first reading Lord of Chaos, the sixth book of The Wheel of Time. It was also the same year that Harry Potter was finishing up and sadly when the author himself, Robert Jordan, died of a rare disease.

I decided, not only did I want to make sure there was an ending (sorry, I know that was insensitive of me), bu
Choko
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

A buddy read with my Fantasy Addicts at BB&B! May the Wheel weave as the Wheel wills!!!

Amazing! More than amazing! Have I covered it all?... Yes, I have! I have run out of superlatives for this series and I do not care! The pacing of the story is very deceptively slow, but it builds on itself, fiber by fiber, and by the end of each book you find yourself holding your breath, barely able to take in air, because it is an energy outward transmutation of a million plot lines coming tog
Eric Lin
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Took you long enough to stop your main characters from sucking, RJ. Truthfully this was 3.5 stars, but I gave 3 stars to all the other books (and somehow am still reading them), so I gave this one the benefit of the doubt (and 4 stars).

But this book was over 900 pages!

A few things RJ could have stopped repeating:

- The men/women dynamic
- How much the maidens think Rand is either their son, or brother
- How much Warders look like wolves
- How much Aiel look like wolves
- How complex names of actual w
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book contains much more different point of views than the first five; we even get to see the inner thoughts of some of the Forsaken. Each POV usually contributes to a different plot, subplot, or thread which makes a really complex overall story, so if you thought the one in the first five books was way too simple (I am kidding), this book really makes matters much more complex. This is also the point where the number of named characters became too great for all of them to be in the glossary ...more
Em Lost In Books
This was a slooooow book and took almost 50-55% to actually get started. So you can imagine how frustrated I was while reading this at snail's pace, kept thinking when will things start happening. And even after all my grumbling, this was a necessary book because here we see characters coming out of their shells. I will keep this review short.

About the boys - Rand just keep improving his game of politics. getting stronger at making people obey and follow him. He is so much different from the bo
Dirk Grobbelaar
Was the whole world really burning up?

Thank goodness for the Wheel of Time Wikia page. At this point in the series I can’t really differentiate too clearly between books; everything is just blurring together. I suppose it would help if I read the books back to back, but that is not a realistic option. I honestly need a break between instalments.

That said, I do believe I enjoyed this book more than The Fires of Heaven. It felt, to me, like a return to form, but all of this is pretty relative giv
JAIME
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY HELL. Some shit went down in this one!

Rand - FINALLY feels like he finished with his whining and getting on with stuff - his stuff being manwhoring. And, I LOVE IT.

Egwene - WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL?!

Loial - LOVE YOU

Elayne - I just like you less and less every book. Shut up. You have basically switched places with that other idiot, Egwene.

Aviendah - is growing on me. Still kind of a weirdo, but I like it.

Mat - I can't remember when I started liking you. Don't ever change

Perrin - Your wife su
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was another enjoyable instalment in the Wheel of Time series. It was an improvement on The Fires of Heaven, but did not reach the heights of The Shadow Rising( the best WoT book so far ).

It though Jordan did OK when it came to advancing the plot in this instalment. Not a ton happened, but it felt like a lot of stuff got set into motion. This meant a lot of focus on politics and scheming, but I've always been happy enough with such story arcs.

The characters proved a mixed bag:

Rand: I thou
Olivier Delaye
THIS IS MEANT AS A LIGHT, NOT-TOO-SERIOUS BUT HOPEFULLY FUNNY REVIEW, SO PLEASE TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. AND NOW, ON TO THE SLAUGHTER!!!

Nyneave tugged her braid as hard as she could bear it. Any harder and she would surely rip her scalp off. “How am I supposed to review this book?” she muttered, holding a copy of Robert Jordan’s Lord of Chaos in her left hand. Her right was busy pulling at her braid. “The author’s first three books were really good––well, if one turns a blind eye on the fact that
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Review: Reread done!

Lord of Chaos is one of my favorite books in this series so far, purely on the amount of things happening. Sure, the story does not move much in any direction, (nothing much resolved) but there is quite a bit of stirring and simmering until the pressure builds up to a boiling point and BAM! The lid is blown at Dumai Wells!

Spoiler-filled notes:
(view spoiler)
Christie Skipper Ritchotte
On my future grave, I swear, the following is true.

Once upon a time there was a book series called The Wheel of Time, which, when piled each volume upon the other, could reach past an elephant's rheumy eye. Once upon a time, after searching for a good new fantasy series, I began tWoT with a healthy gleam in my eye. What a blithe fool. What a tWoT.

I turned pulped wood pages by thousands, read a very-many lot-of words, until one day an annoying pattern manifested. Though I pressed on, it had beco
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I am so glad to read this series again. When I read it I always feel like I am on the journey.

I am glad to see Perrin again in the book! He is one of my favourite characters.

I find the society in the book really intriguing.

I feel I have learned R
Kaila
So you made it to book 6! Now that you're here, that means you finished book 5. Have this not really spoiler-y lolCat based off the second to last page of The Fires of Heaven!

Stolen from this comedy goldmine thread. It is hilarious but beware spoilers.

Rand finally has some real chapters in this book. Since book 2, The Great Hunt, he hasn't figured much as a point of view. Sure he had some chapters in the Aiel Waste, and the climax of book 5, but he was all caught up in becoming a man out of le
Eric Allen
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
I can already tell that this series is going to eat my brain, and not in the super special fun way, but like in the way where some things about it annoy the hoobedy-boobedy out of me, but other parts of it compel me to persevere. I will spend the next five books (before Brandon Sanderson takes over) being yo-yoed back and forth between moments of "yes, give me more of that!" and "NO MAKE IT STOP." I know this because that was what started happening to me while reading Lord of Chaos. I can only i ...more
Jason
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
4 Stars

This was the start of the tougher side to the Wheel of Time series. There are some real high’s in this book, but there are also quite a few long and drawn out lows. The wiki page states that there are 47 freaking pov’s in this book and it sure felt like it at times. I hate when authors pile on more and more characters, it does not actually correlate to a better story most times. This was my third time through this book, and it is the last of the books that I actually read cover to cover m
Daniel Hattan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t stop giving these books ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Although I’m on a re-read I still can’t get enough!! ...more
Matt Brady
Part 7 - Canned Rand

This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time so there’ll be spoilers for the whole series ahead.

Well that was a real slog. If Fires of Heaven was brightened by the warm glow of nostalgia and affection I’d retained all these long years, Lord of Chaos increased the glow to a harsh and grating fluorescent flicker. Sure, Dumai Wells is a great sequence, possibly the high point of the series itself and I’ll go into more pointless detail on that later, but there is a TON of bullshi
Maria Dimitrova
Monthly buddy read with the lovely people over at BB&B

Almost halfway through the series. And I can't be more exited! I should have read this ages ago.

Finally I can see why all the old timers say that Mat's awesome. Don't get me wrong he still gets on my nerves but he's no longer that spoiled little brat that though only about gambling, wine and women. And he knows how to lead an army. Even if he tries to convince himself he's not cut for the whole hero/warrior thing. Part of it are the memo
Jake Kern
Jan 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What was meant to be a glorious trilogy turned into a bloated, never-ending story. As I read the 4th and 5th books, I became quickly disappointed with Jordan's obvious decision to start stretching the series and winging it to bring in a bunch of cash. The breaking point was when I was reading this book, and I got to page 600 realizing that nothing had happened in the book yet! I closed the book and cut my losses. My friends on Book 11 wish they had done the same....
Jonathan Terrington

Lord of Chaos is my sixth stop in the thirteen book re-read before January 8th's release of A Memory of Light. I really have little to say about the book at the moment because let's be honest, if you're up to this book and need a review to figure out if you should continue, you either don't have the heart to continue (it doesn't appeal to you) or you want to know whether you should skip this and move onto book seven. Because each of the books is more of the same, only when you've read one Wheel
A Wheel Of Time R...: LoC - Book #6 Discussion 3 13 Sep 12, 2019 01:31AM
WoTaLong (Wheel o...: Jun Week 4: Ch 41 - 55 Spoiler Discussion 16 26 Sep 01, 2019 05:18AM
Is anyone still reading? 1 10 Aug 11, 2019 05:44PM
Fantasy and Manga...: Lord of Chaos - Spoilers Allowed 1 3 Jun 25, 2019 01:57PM
Fantasy and Manga...: Lord of Chaos - NO SPOILERS!! 1 4 Jun 25, 2019 10:33AM
How to Report a Social Media Spoiler... 1 5 Nov 15, 2018 08:28AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • New Spring: The Graphic Novel
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, #3)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #10)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
“Often you don't know whether a woman is friend, enemy or lover until it is too late. Sometimes, she is all three.” 217 likes
“One more dance along the razor's edge finished. Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.” 188 likes