Start by marking “Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears” as Want to Read:
Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears

Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears (Irving and Muktuk)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Every year the little town of Yellowtooth celebrates the New Year with a Blueberry Muffin Festival. But every year, the festivities come under a shadow cast by Irving and Muktuk, two polar bears whose badness is equaled only by their thick-headedness.
These bears are muffin-pilferers of the worst kind. Therefore, they have to contend with Officer Bunny, who is the law in Y
Published September 24th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Irving and Muktuk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irving and Muktuk

Cheryl
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of Pinkwater's work is too random, too Shaggy Dog, for me. But omg Irving and Muktuk kill me every time. "Farewell, gigantic orphan penguins, also known as Irving and Muktuk! Another helicopter ride will take you to the frozen places where you belong."

It's interesting, too, that the art is a style I wouldn't expect to like, personally. But it's so very appropriate/ fitting, and so joyous, that I'm charmed.
Kathryn
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail--thank you!
This book is hilarious!!! I could not stop chuckling. So absurd, so amusing--so clever. The illustrations...! Oh my gosh, it's such a delightful hodgepodge. Seriously, two blueberry-muffin-obsessed polar bears continually crashing an annual Blueberry Muffin Festival and thwarted by the incomparable Officer Bunny. What's not to love!? (The tale was enhanced by the fact that, owing to some delightful serendipity, Tyler made muffins the same day I read the book!)
Virginia Messina
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
While I read lots of kidlit and YA lit, I rarely read picture books. But I couldn’t resist this after following some discussion of it on Goodreads. And now I think I’m hooked on Daniel and Jill Pinkwater. This book is a hoot! It's laugh out loud funny. You can tell, of course, from the last page that there is going to be more. I’m off to find out what these bears are up to next. I hope we get to meet Officer Bunny again, too!

Jennifer Foeller
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me this was only a 3 star book, but, my 6 year old insisted that it was a 4 star book. The illustrations already feel a bit dated and peculiar, however, it is still amusing to children and that's the intended audience, so, mission accomplished.

I rushed through the reading of this book just a bit because I wasn't really enjoying it, but, then my daughter insisted I read it again.

Though, I think that is a common problem with picture books. They tend to be rated based on what adults thought o
Phil Jensen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Officer Bunny repeatedly apprehends polar bears and halts their insidious schemes to pilfer blueberry muffins. It's basically a Roadrunner cartoon, plus narration like this:

FWOP! FWOP! FWOP! Oh, no! It is the helicopter!FWOP! FWOP! FWOP! Adieu, Irving and Muktuk. Once again, you have failed to obtain muffins by stealth and subterfuge.

All picture books should be written like this.
Lisa Vegan
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young children & their adults, anyone with a sense of humor including adults without kids
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This book is hilarious and the illustrations are wonderful.

The first thing I did when I finished this book was to reserve three other Two Bad Bears books at the library.

I vacillated between giving this book 4 and 5 stars and ultimately awarded it the extra star because of Irving and Muktuk’s final plan (in this book) to steal the blueberry muffins. I’m going to be recommending this to all my friends with young kids and to all the places where I’ve volunteered working with children.
Diana Thomsen
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I pulled this one as a potential piece for our unit on blueberries. I decided to pass on using it, since I found books that better dealt with the subject. Besides, this book just didn't resonate with me. Maybe if I'd read it with the kids? I don't know. I just found that I spent most of the book with a puzzled look on my face. I didn't like the illustrations, and while there were some amusing scenarios, I, overall, didn't find the book to be funny. And it was clearly supposed to be! Did I miss s ...more
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Jessie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is every bit as good as I remember, holds up despite its age, and is a work of comedic genius. And it teaches children that Bayonne, New Jersey is the muffin capital of the world.
Shanna Gonzalez
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
If sly hilarity and perfectly-paced comedic gags are your thing, you'll love this series. In the introductory volume, the polar bears Irving and Muktuk appear in the Canadian town of Yellowtooth, at the annual muffin festival. Officer Bunny -- the highly competent law enforcement officer is a bunny dressed as a Canadian Mounty -- foils their attempt to break into the muffin warehouse by loading fresh muffins in his police car and luring them into it, and a helicopter soon carries them north of t ...more
Rachel
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was my first Irving and Muktuk book. The illustrations are very colorful and have a lot of funny details, which I liked. The book was cute, but I though the writing was kind of choppy, and some of the jokes were kind of "off." I love quirky stuff, and some of it was funny (e.g., the non-regulation Girl Scout Uniforms), but some of it just wasn't. However, I think kids about 4 or 5 years old would howl in laughter at the absurdity of much of it (which, actually, I do like, too), so ... I'm s ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
(Mommy's review from 2/20/12)

If there's ever been a time that I knew Julia and I were pretty "off", it's now. The fantastic ratings leave me confused. Mighty confused.
I guess I wouldn't say this is 'bad' but it's certainly no better than
'okay' in our opinions.
The muffins, the two bears, the sheriff or whatever he was, I don't know. I grabbed it off the shelf at the library and let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay for it. And let's also say Julia won't be asking for it again I'm sure.
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The beginning of the bad bears. The kiddos are amused by this because the bears, they are not so smart, and even so, they manage to outwit the townspeople for a number of years with a variety of disguises and plots, foiled only by the bunny police. Lovely tongue in cheek humor, which is fun for adults and children on different levels. In the end, they are polar bears and they behave as any muffin loving polar bear would. And who among us doesn't love an illicit blueberry muffin?
Duane
Dec 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was highly recommended by other librarians, I just couldn't find the humor in it. The illustrations are not really my liking, but I really don't think children will enjoy them either because of their confusing perspectives. The storyline was odd and I just don't think your average youngster will enjoy it much. There are a ton of books out there much better.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Chucked full of colour, wacky wording and two bad bears bent on blueberry muffins, this crazy book is wacky, arctic fun.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Angie
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
How could anyone resist a blueberry muffin festival? Irving and Muktuk sure can't! Too bad they are polar bears and Officer Bunny is on their trail. He manages to thwart them every year. Some of their disguises are ingenious!
Brian Cave
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great little picture book that has a repeating theme, in which the children will love. The two polar bears love muffins and will do anything and everything to bash an annual muffin fest. Great book, with good humor.
Jenny
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
The kids thought this was funny. The bears and their attempts to get the muffins at the annual Blueberry muffin festival are silly.
Julia
I don't love this nearly as much as Pinkwater's chapter books, but it still has his goofy sense of humor.
Jetta
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Silly, but my son liked it.
CLM
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Very cute story (and it made me hungry for muffins too!).
David
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A classic
Lori S.
Great fun read!
Paula
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it

Two muffin-loving polar bears make a yearly attempt to use stealth and subterfuge to get muffins at the Yellowtooth Blueberry Muffin Festival.
Marisa
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
really fun to read out loud to a kid
Nancy
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Anything about Irving and Muktuk is excellent!
Jan
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My teens and I fell in love with these muffin-loving polar bears and their ruthless pursuit of blueberry muffins!
Daniel Golden
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a cute story which will hopefully teach my three month old son about the dire repercussions of attempted forbidden blueberry muffin theft, but I think that the illustrations are kind of crummy.
Steve
Sep 22, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...

Irving and Muktuk (5 books)
  • Bad Bears in the Big City: An Irving & Muktuk Story
  • Bad Bear Detectives: An Irving and Muktuk Story
  • Bad Bears and a Bunny: An Irving and Muktuk Story (Irving & Muktuk Story)
  • Bad Bears Go Visiting: An Irving and Muktuk Story