Start by marking “On My Own” as Want to Read:
On My Own

On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl #4)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,157 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
University life isn't what Caitlin expected. Her roommate Liz is hostile to her faith -- tormenting her with raunchy music and sleazy boyfriends. Worst of all, suddenly Caitlin doesn't understand herself anymore. Why has she regressed to being the shy, insecure girl she was in junior high? She doesn't even fit in with her new Christian fellowship group! Caitlin tries not t ...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Multnomah (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about On My Own, please sign up.

Jennifer Maloney Huh? This website isn't for reading books. It's for cataloguing them. Check a bookstore or library or Amazon.com if you're wanting the actual book.

Charlotte
So I’m in Value Village. I don’t know if you Americans have Value Village down there, but if you don’t know what it is, it’s a thrift shop chain of stores. There’s like, four in every town. It’s basically like the Tim Hortons of thrift shops. (I guess you wouldn’t know what Tim Hortons is, either.)

Sometimes I like to kill time reading the books that crop up in the book section of Value Village. I’ll kill time waiting for a family member to finish looking at drapes and bathcoats by sitting down o
Maryam Magdy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual Caitlin never fails to inspire me and get to my heart with her strong faith, wisdom and kind heart. She uses both her heart and mind in making decisions.
In this part, Caitlin faces two major problems. The first one was having to deal with a rather hard-hearted person. The way she acted patient, friendly and believed there's sth good out of this was definitely sth to learn from.
The second problem was deciding whether to get engaged to the love of her life at such young age. The way she
Angela Sellers
I just couldn't put this book down. It helped me so much.
Bridie Macdonald
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually picked this book up without realizing it was out of a series and hardly reading the blurb. I'm not one to write extremely negative reviews, however, I didn't enjoy this book at all. I find Caitlin's voice throughout the novel extremely irritating. I see that she's genuinely a nice person and that she always tries to do the best for others around her, although it bothers me how she takes it upon herself to "save" other characters in the book. The religious element doesn't usually bothe ...more
Amancay
*sigh* God is good at putting the perfect book in my hands, with just the right timing...

I'm now completely obsessed with finding more in the series *off to check out ebay*

Melody Carlson is a great writer, and the youth angle makes for a quick & easy read... still with just enough of an intense message to get my mind, heart, and soul pressing forward into a new place with Him!
Shekinah
probably my faveorite book
Stephanie Ziegler
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: continuation of series
I found this book truly lacked any backbone in the issues that were raised. I commend Caitlin for sticking it out with Liz. She did not need God's advice to know that there was something deeper going on with Liz. However, I find it hard to believe that Caitlin could not find any friends in her classes. I realize that Caitlin was a shy girl but schools have exercises, even in the larger classes, that put students together for the purpose of meeting new people. She also could have dropped her Engl ...more
$hanel
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On My Own is the fourth book in the Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin series and gets a little more intense as it goes along. By more intense I mean that Caitlin and one of her good friends Jenny get into a big fight about body image. Here is the good part... Caitlin is now in COLLEGE! Now Caitlin is free to do whatever she wants to do! That is until Caitlin`s vicious roommate Elizabeth Banks gets on her nerve with going out late at night with her boyfriend or at some kind of drug party. While tha ...more
Savannah
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. So this is book 4 in the Caitlin portion of this series. We see Caitlin starting out on a new adventure in life....college!

She has to maneuver adjusting to a new school, living away from home, rooming with a difficult girl, being away from her family and friends, trying to make new friends, and of course figuring out where she stands with Josh.

So far this has actually been my favorite of the series. I gave it 4.5 stars instead of 4. I can't really tell you why I liked it a bit more t
Kristine
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After what I considered a weaker third installment, this fourth in the series comes back with a gripping bang as Caitlin begins college. The plot and pacing were much more engaging, producing one of the more unpredictable stories so far. This time it seemed like she faced some truly trying situations, with some genuine emotions attached, instead of near-constant sunshine and lollypops.

The situation with Josh was a little weird and Caitlin does begin to wear as preachy, but I was still anxious t
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something I can relate to in each Caitlin book, but especially th idea of giving up your "Isaac". I've needed to and struggled with this many times. God removed what would have become a struggle in my life but I didn't like it and had trouble accepting what I now see as His goodness and love. Good theme for this book!
Jodi
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book. This one was a little hard to read. It reminded alot of my first year at college and making choices that were not always good. I had roommates similar to the character in this book and it brought up alot of old memories for me. It was a really good book though and I really enjoyed it.
Abigail Geesey
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-pleasure, 2014
Great little encouraging book. I liked how her faith grows in each book... though I do wonder if she'll ever get together with Josh... I think she does, I mean the last book is called I Do! Which sound like a wedding title to me. ^_^ I like the college theme, I'm in college now and It was interesting to read. :)
Emma Thurman
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good and possibly my favorite of the series, like I've said before -I don't really care for modern diary type books (historical ones I adore.) Good plot though a little predictable, the characters were fine, and the writing style was ok. So overall it was ok, I did like it though.
Alex
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Again - I just love Melody Carlson. The "diary" series are so entertaining to read, and while Caitlin wasn't the best character (she was REALLY preachy) I still really liked these.

Started to get kinda boring around here, though.
Danae
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoy this series. it's not one of my favorites, but it's an easy read and it brings back good memories of my teenage years. XD

they discuss whatever you call the "pre-engagement promise". i've gotta say i don't understand it. feel free to give your opinions.
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put the book down, but sometimes Caitlin's christianity was unrealistic and cheesy. And the comment one character made, shocked that Caitlin's roommate was a nonbeliever and asking if that was wise to room with her was a little uncalled for.
Bruna
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT, AWESOME, WONDERFUL BOOK ! LOOOOOOOOVE IT (:
Terri
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good series
Kayla Mannlein
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the sense of new environment that Caitlin the main character faced and being a new college student myself I think I can identify new roommate or not,
Ruthie
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
ohhhh I love these books sooooo much!!!! Although I really really want to know wha happens with catlin and josh!!!
Christiana
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My best friend gave this to me when we first went to college and I loved it. Definitely a cute Christian fiction series!
Bethel
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Teens
Recommended to Bethel by: found it at the bookstore
Just like the others, still the same Catlin, but different enough to keep me reading. She keeps learning new things. I've become invested in Catlin's life, and I want to see how it turns out.
stacie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than book three but a somewhat boring book about her college life
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read it read it read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chloe
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good!
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good one! I didn't totally get the whole covenant thing, but the message behind it, listen to God and follow him, was sound.
  • A Time to Cherish (Christy Miller, #10)
  • Sierra's Story
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Diary of a Teenage Girl (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1)
  • It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)
  • Who I Am (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #3)
  • I Do! (Diary of a Teenage: Caitlin, #5)
  • My Name is Chloe (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #1)
  • Sold Out (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #2)
  • Road Trip (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #3)
  • Face the Music (Diary of a Teenager Girl: Chloe, #4)
  • Just Ask (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #1)
  • Meant to Be (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #2)