Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Samson Option” as Want to Read:
The Samson Option
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Samson Option

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
s/t: Israel's Nuclear Arsenal & American Foreign Policy
An investigation into Israel's nuclear capabilities discloses information about the country's rush toward nuclear status, its collaboration with South Africa and Iran, and its espionage activities. Reprint. NYT
Hardcover, 354 pages
Published October 27th 1991 by Random House (NY) (first published September 20th 1991)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Samson Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samson Option

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Clif
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of espionage
Written in 1991, The Samson Option is Seymour Hersh's account of Israel's acquisition of nuclear weapons.

As you'd expect of a documentary, the book is filled with fascinating facts that are little know by the public.

The primary result of reading this book is a keen awareness of how American administrations have been almost uniformly unheeding to Israel's progress toward membership (though denied) in the nuclear club.

Because Israel is such a tiny country and America is so huge, the advantages for
...more
Mohamed IBrahim
كتاب جيد ولكنه ممل في أجزاء كبيرة ويفتقد للترابط
ربما كان في النهاية تجميعات صحفية في روح تحليلة ولكنها جيدة بشكل كبير
كتاب يتحدث عن تطور الترسانة النووية الصهيونية والتي ظلت سرا محاطاٌ بالكتمان التام
في الكتاب سلط الكاتب الضوء عن أمور كثيرة مهمة ولا يعرفها الكثير
مثل تسليطه الضوء علي شخصيه بيجرمان عالم الكيمياء الصهيوني والأب الروحي للقنبلة النووية الصهيونية
وكذلك تطرق الكاتب للنقاشات والاعتراضات والسياسة الداخلية المعقدة التي واجهها المشروع النووي في ديمونة طوال ال30 عاماٌ الذي كان الكتاب يتحد
...more
Jennifer Abdo
Hersh is always blowing the lid off of secrets. I found this riveting. It explains Israel's nuclear secrets and position and how we looked the other way (and continue). The story of how they became a nuclear power is incredible and telling. After reading you will ask if we really want to be "friends" or if they are actually reciprocating our friendly relationship.
Nick Black
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: oppenheimania
really solid journalism, and certainly the best book on israel's nuclear program, but about as dry as they come.
Kerriwyn
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was very dry, quite boring and seemed somewhat anti-Semetic if you ask me. That being said, I am 32 years old and didn't know that it was ever a secret for Israel to become a nuclear power. It was sorta interesting to see how the politics were conducted behind-the-scenes. Man, I hate politics! I really think it's all one big conspiracy. Anyway, now I know somewhat about Isreal and their determination to not be wiped off the face of the earth. I love me the Jews so, hey, good on ya's!
Darrell
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seymour Hersh is an excellent journalist and is in the top 1% of investigative journalists. This book was an easy read where the narrative flowed smoothly and kept my attention. The subject was one which I was greatly interested in and Hersh did not disappoint. He delivered fact after fact backed up by his sources. The bar for 5 stars is set very high for me so I am rating this 4 stars...a really great read!
Mohamed  Tarik El fouly
كتاب خطير جداً عن القوى النووية الاسرائيلية... لما تعرف ان اسرائيل عاملة شبكة صواريخ نووية حوالين القدس... وزرعة الغام نووية ف الجولان... وفحرب اكتوبر كانت بتخطط لضرب القاهرة ودمشق بالقنابل النووية...

من اهم مهام الرئيس القادم هى العمل على انشاء ترسنة نووية مصرية او بمعنى اصح سلاح الردع... وإلا فعلياً اسرائيل حتفضل متحكمة فينا حتى بعد خلع مبارك
الملا سفيان
ان لم تطلع على هذا الكتاب فاعلم ان نتنياهو منعك.
إبداع وتميز
good book
Pelaut
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Seymour Hersh at his best! Brilliant!
محمد
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع يكشف إحدى أكثر الأمور غموضا في هذا العالم: الترسانة النووية الإسرائيلية.
Khaled
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book full of a lot of information ,but sometimes i feel it is not in order
Michael Taylor
rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
John D.
rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Nick Armbrister
rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Mahmed Sayed
rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Ahmed Taimour
rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Arjan Shahini
rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Alan Jay
rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Bill Mcconnell
rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Paul Vittay
rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2017
Robert
rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Edward Manor
rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Maurice
rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Erdinç
rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Bruce Glassman
rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Anthony
rated it it was ok
May 23, 2012
Sean Ryan
rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Galila Kdr
rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Mohamed Farghly
rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Toward a New Cold War: Essays on the Current Crisis & How We Got There
  • A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq
  • Every Spy a Prince: The Complete History of Israel's Intelligence Community
  • Perpetrators Victims Bystanders: The Jewish Catastrophe 1933-1945
  • In Defence of the Republic
  • The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama bin Laden, and the Future of Terrorism
  • The Mirror at Midnight: A South African Journey
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Writing in the Dark: Essays on Literature and Politics
  • America, Russia and the Cold War 1945-2006
  • Guardians of Power: The Myth of the Liberal Media
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • Mind Maps at Work: How to Be the Best at Your Job and Still Have Time to Play
  • Utilitarianism and Other Essays
  • Dangerous Nation: America's Place in the World from Its Earliest Days to the Dawn of the Twentieth Century
  • Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge
  • The Sexual Paradox: Extreme Men, Gifted Women and the Real Gender Gap
  • The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World
44620
Seymour (Sy) Myron Hersh is an American Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist and author based in Washington, D.C. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker magazine on military and security matters. He has also won two National Magazine Awards and is a "five-time Polk winner and recipient of the 2004 George Orwell Award."

He first gained worldwide recognition in 1969 for exposing the
...more
More about Seymour M. Hersh...