Start by marking “Forever After” as Want to Read:
Forever After

Forever After

THE PROTECTOR

From the moment Heath Masters lays eyes on Meredith Kenyon, he knows there's something mysterious in this pretty woman's past. True, she seems like a good mother to her little daughter, but as local sheriff Heath has seen his share of liars ... and Meredith is certainly hiding something. But though his romantic gestures are met with suspicion, Heath can't hel

Mass Market Paperback, 419 pages
Published October 30th 2007 by Avon (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Forever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever After

Start your review of Forever After
Rhapsody
May 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance readers
Another good book from Anderson. Meredith moves to the middle of no where with her four year old daughter to evade her abusive husband's family and avoid losing custody of her daughter. Heath, the county sheriff, lives next door to them and they end up becoming friends. After her husband's abuse, Meredith can't really trust him but eventually has no choice when her ex father-in-law's goons arrive in town. It was good reading, but I'm beginning to get a little tired of Anderson's 100% wholesomene ...more
Sara
Aug 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was looking for something easy and fluffy. This fit the bill. But the characters were flat and unlikable, the story totally ridiculous, and the descriptions laughable. Also, I'm not sure why the four year old talked like a middle-aged woman from the backwoods of Appalachia just because her mother was from the South.
Elizabeth Bennet
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the covers on Anderson books. They are simple but appealing. This story took a little bit before the H/h really start to like one another. Meredith Kenyon is hiding with her 4 year old daughter Sammy. Once you begin to understand what her life was like before Oregon you can see why she does not trust easily. Her daughter is scared of most everything and when a stray Rottweiler shows up at their house Merry calls her neighbor, the sheriff, to come get his beast.

Heath Masters is
Wendy
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Pat
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Pamela(AllHoney)
This turned into a 5 star read for me. Meredith and her daughter are on the run from her father-in-law. She ends up moving in next door to the local sheriff.
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is actually my second time reading this book! It has a pretty, new cover!

Actual rating is 3.5 stars, but i bumped it

Thought and Plot

Heath Ian Masters is the county sheriff. He lives by himself with his retired police dog on a small ranch with only one neighbor, who recently rented the property down the road. When his dog takes to protecting the neighbor's terrified little girl, even Heath has problems calling him off. Not a good first impression for his new neighbor Meredith Ken/>Thought/>Actual
Jeanne (love2cook)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a nice little romance story with a woman who had the worse marriage to an abusive husband and manipulative father-in-law. She has taken her daughter and ran into hiding, where she had the good fortune of ending up living next door to the sheriff. She is fearful of men and suspicious of them being like her dead husband. The sheriff has his hands full trying to have her trust him to be different. A good read!
Amanda Schaefer
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Anderson book, and it was absolutely incredible. I loved the characters and for the first time in a while I wasn’t able to predict every twist and turn in the book. I experienced so many emotions while reading this book and couldn’t help but crack up during some of the Sammy moments. A must read!
Cosette Butler
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple of her books now & don't think I will try another. I read Silver Thaw before this one & after a couple of chapters, I thought I was reading the same book! Abused mom escapes with traumatized child, meets hunky hero with massive hero dog. Again!

Ms. Anderson has written a lot of books. I can't help but wonder if they aren't essentially all the same story.
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
This is the Catherine Anderson I have come to know and adore. Heath is the hero my heart longs for. Truly and totally everything i love. Merry gave him a run for his money. Little Sammy definitely stole the show. But oh sweet brave Goliath that dog made this story everything it could be.

100% Safe
Linda
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dragged a lot the first half of book.
Then with the mob ties, It got a little ridiculous.
The ending felt rushed, particularly with Heath and his dad.
Overall a decent read and Sammy and Heaths and Sammy and Goliath’s blooming friendship make up for it.
Mrsbooks
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd read this again in 5 years. It was cute.
Dpic
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very enjoyable
CeeDragon
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Enjoyed this book very much.
Sandy Barecki
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. Lots of twists and turns. Much more suspense than the typical Catherine Anderson book.
Rebecca Miller
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
another fun summer time read.
Stephanie Probst
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fast, easy read from Catherine Anderson. I absolutely loved the characters. Her writing makes makes you believe in the power of love. Would definitely recommend this book.
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good beginning sappy ending
Theresa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Heath, Merry and Sammy make a terrific trio. Story moved a little slow in spots. Loved the focus on Goliath, he was a great addition to the family. Heartwarming story of overcoming hardships and abuse, and learning to trust and love again.
Robin
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Fleeing with her four-year-old daughter Sammy after a heated custody battle, Meredith Kenyon moves into a run-down house in Oregon and right next-door to the county sheriff. She hopes that her disguise and a low-profile will keep her off of her father-in-law's radar. Sheriff Heath Masters knows his new neighbor is keeping secrets. Both she and her young daughter seem to be afraid of men. The only male they seem to love is his Rottweiler, Goliath. Heath is drawn to his vulnerable neighbor and hop ...more
Gayla
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tragic, a little dark and oh so heartwarming.

Really liked this book. One of this authors best, I think.
It's a little dark at times. Meredith is coming out of a very bad relationship and some of the abuse is described. So, if you have trouble with spousal abuse, this may not be the book for you.
There is healing for both main characters and way more good than bad.
It seemed real to me as well that she healed slowly and didn't just trust immediately.
Also Heath had to understand that she wasn't
Deborah
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I randomly picked this book to read after seeing that the author was recommended by other users in the historical romance group here on goodreads. I thought it was a decent book - amusing, cute characters, etc. I def would like to go read more of her work. I just found the book on amazon.com and saw that it received not so great reviews. I guess I kind of agree with that they had to say. But with that said, it's a nice vacation, by the beach read. I am looking forward to reading some of her othe ...more
Linda
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I did not like reading the cussing a swearing the characters used during conversation. It did not seem necessary to the story. A countuy sherrif befriends his new neighbor. Meridith and her daughter quickly find their way into the man's heart. He struggles with the communities legal problems especially underage drinking. The book takes many twists and turns in the plot so that there is several climactic events the characters engage in. The conversation in the book is realisticly written. For exa ...more
Ann-marie
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Though this is billed as a romance. It doesn't come until quite near the end of the book. Meredith has crossed state lines to protect her daughter from her ex-fatherinlaw. With his son being dead her fatherinlaw has taken up the banner to fight for custody of his granddaughter. Meredith husband not only was abusive but was part of the mob. She move in unbeknownst to her near a town sheriff in a small town in Oregon. What eventually happens they become close through his dog and her daughter. Thou ...more
Maria
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Ms Anderson seems able to find the most impossible situations to highlight in her books, but it does keep you on the edge of the seat, waiting to see if and how she resolves the problem. This book is no exception. It is both horrifying and sweet, and I love Sammy and Goliath. Can't miss with a child and a dog. I must admit it is refreshing to find characters in a book that are somewhat old-fashioned. I get so tired of constant four-letter words, as if that makes the writing better. It doesn't. I ...more
Kathryn
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read and I gave it four stars because Sammy and Goliath are fabulous. I loved and laughed out loud at some of the scenes with Sammy. Especially the soap washing out of 'Heefs' mouth because of all those bad words!
It all finished very tidily, I haven't read a book for so long that ended so tidily! A little stretch of the imagination! However I am a sucker for it ended happily ever after so no complaints.
Paula
Catherine Anderson's contemporary romances are fast becoming my favorites. I haven't been disappointed by any of her books. She has the ability to create such detailed, loveable, and romantic characters. I fell for the hero "Heath Masters" and his dog "Goliath" at first read. Every time the heroins heart broke in the book, mine did as well. You'll need a box of tissues but her books always end incredibly romantic and well. You won't be disappointed.
Amy Jones
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was ok, as the rating says.I am a bit dissapointed, because it wasn't tempting at all. After few chapters you can predict what will happen next. It was ok, but I don't like classic romances like this, I like some comedy or fantasy in them. If you want a book that you will think of for days, then I don't recommend you this one.
Mia
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really love Catherine Anderson's writing so I am backtracking finding some of her older books. I missed this one somehow, but I'm glad I found it, I really enjoyed it and I think the story was well done and she did a great job building the characters and the storyline. I enjoyed both H/H very much.

• To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • The Hidden Keys
  • Cooper's Charm (Summer Resort, #1)
  • Black Ice (Ice, #1)
  • Separate Beds
  • Remember When (Foster Saga, #1)
  • Twice a Texas Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #2)
  • Redemption (Cattenach Ranch, #1)
  • Counterbalance
  • Benediction (Cattenach Ranch, #2)
  • He + She
  • The Dysfunctional Test
  • Ten Thousand Points of Light
  • Love Thy Neighbor (St. Helena Vineyard)
  • Exposure
  • Winter's Path (Seasmoke Friends #2)
  • Return to Me (Covington Cove, #1)
  • All of Me (Covington Cove, #2)
(1)romance author:
Adeline Catherine was born and raised in Grants Pass, Oregon, USA. She always yearned to be a writer like her mother. The morning that one of her professors asked if she could use samples of Catherine’s creative writing on an overhead projector to teach was a