Start by marking “Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty” as Want to Read:
Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty

Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty

(Street Angel #1-3)

After 13 years on the streets of the grim, impoverished ghetto of Wilkesborough, Jesse Sanchez knows how to take care of herself even if she can't always take a bath. With dazzling martial artistry, peerless skateboarding skills, and questionable study habits, Jesse "Street Angel" Sanchez faces ninja street gangs, evil geologists, Satan worshippers, and anything else that ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by SLG Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Street Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Angel

Start your review of Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty
Seth T.
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like to laugh
Shelves: comics
Jim Rugg's and Brian Maruca's Street Angel has a manic sensibility that makes it absolutely worth reading. It's not the kind of book one would return every season to be reminded of just how good it is, but that's kind of the way it is with comedies. Humour media are almost by their very nature light, disposable entertainment, because the thing about jokes is that they get old. So, ignoring that necessary deficit of the genre, let's talk Street Angel.

Jesse Sanchez is twelve. And homeless. With mu
Devin Bruce
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comic fans; people who like ninjas and/or skateboarding.
Shelves: comics, fiction, adventure
Okay, first things first: this book is about a 12-year-old girl who is a martial arts expert and the world’s greatest homeless skateboarder who has to fight ninjas, crime, time-traveling pirates, and nepotism deep in the heart of the city. That sentence alone made me want to read it, and it is just as awesome as it sounds, if not more. Plus, the supporting cast includes a one-armed, no-legged skateboarder named Bald Eagle, an old Blaxploitation hero named the Afrodesiac, and an Irish astronaut n ...more
Adam
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, comics
You are required to love a comic that features a rogue geologist as a villain. Yes.

Street Angel is the story of a homeless 13-year old world-class skateboarder and ninja fighter. She lives in a world of (the aforementioned) ninjas and scientists, but her world is also chock full of Aztec gods, Conquistadores, Irish astronauts, Satanists, and the headaches that come with being homeless. This volume collects the five issues of the series as well as short stories, covers, and a wealth of pinups and
Christopher
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Are you the target demographic for Aqua Teen Hunger Force? That is to say, high? Then buddy, have I got the book for you! It's got ninja riots, time traveling conquistadors, a dangerous geologist, and other nonsense straight out of a fever dream and onto a comic page!
Jenna
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is silly to the point of irreverence. The artwork is clean and fun and the stories are light and hilarious. I picked this up on recommendation from the friendly boy at my local comics shop and I am not disappointed. MC is a 12-year old homeless, ninja, skateboarding badass super-hero wannabe and, yes, that is as awesome and crazy as it sounds. This is like a comics version of a late-night, nonsensical Adult Swim cartoon and I really enjoyed it!
Jessica-Robyn
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
With a cover that stands out among other graphic novels, Street Angel wasn't something I could pass by without at least taking a peak inside.

The story here follows a young 8th grade girl, Jesse, who is orphaned, homeless, and living on the streets of a unforgiving ghetto full of ninjas and crime. (Yes, I just said ninjas, I'll get to that in a second.) On the streets she's known as Street Angel a skate boarding hero with deadly skills.

In this world of Street Angel's, ninjas roam in gangs (and
Emily
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the sense of humor behind this rather violent comic about a crime-fighting, skate-boarding orphan. The stories are short, unrelated and they take every opportunity to poke fun at familiar themes. My favorite line is said by a Spanish conquistador who has traveled forward into Street Angel's time. When she asks what their deal is, one of them says, "We come from your distant past." and the other says
Or possibly from your future...you know...if there was some kind of apocalypse and mankind
Korynn
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hipsters
Street Angel is kinda a guys' jamfest. It features a young homeless girl who can fight, swear and skateboard better than anyone else but is pretty normal in other respects. She has a number of adventures that defy explanation by their complete randomness with the assorted coolness of featuring ninjas, pirates, aztec gods, mad scientists, spaceman, demons and squid. It's fun to watch and read but don't expect anything other than entertainment from it. Improve your street cred with other hipsters ...more
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
While meant to be a satire on traditional superhuman comics, much of the humor and comic juxtaposition relies on the belittling of disabled characters or on the misfortune and misogyny of the main character. This collection doesn't explore who Jesse Sanchez but relies on the reader being okay with out background information. There was one poignant issue in this volume that spoke to the troubles with being homeless, which was great. But for all the other reasons, it gets only 3 stars.
Jessi
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed. Jesse is a street kid that defends her city from ninjas and other bad guys. She is called Street Angel. She is a world class skateboarder, martial artist and dumpster diver. Read all about her adventures! Read it!
Derek Royal
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad to have all of the Street Angel issues collected in a nice hardbound edition. As with Afrodisiac, the humor here is most notable. Mucho fun, and what comics should be!
Jessica
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty fun, would have liked to know more about that werewolf shark though. Most of the fan art in the back was great except for that really sexualized one. Like, ew, she's supposed to be 12-13.
Tony
I picked this up because I liked the premise of a homeless 12-year-old skateboarding girl as a superhero. This book collects five of her adventures in Angel City, each of which has elements of basic superhero comic-book structure, action scenes, sardonic humor, and ninjas. And while that all sounds like a brilliant stew, it never really rose to the levels of awesomeness I was hoping for.

Among the villains she takes on are a mad scientist, time-travelling pirates, a Satanic demon, the creepy girl
Emilie
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read this if you are into high action, humor, and martial arts fight scenes.

In this graphic novel an orphaned homeless girl named Jesse saves the world under the alias "Street Angel." She uses her kung fu and skateboarding skills to defeat all sorts of evil on the streets. This graphic novel collects issues #1-5 of the Street Angel comics.

The stories are all high action-packed non-sequitur. As Evan Dorkin explains in the introduction, "there are no lengthy explanations of who everyone is and wh
Chloe White
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This anthology by Rugg and Maruca was good to read intermittently, as it doesn't follow one plot and the stories are nice and short. As for Jesse Sanchez the character, I liked her in theory but she seemed so obviously created by two men; like "ooooh let's make the edgiest protagonist, a young, homeless, skateboarding, kickass orphan that's a GiIiIiIRL." The introduction by Evan Dorkin was so cringey to me, ex: his praise for the pink cover and calling it a "ballsy colour choice" (◔_◔) The inclu ...more
Russell Grant
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved this. The art is pretty near perfect. Realistic enough to keep you invested, but cartoon-y when it needs to be to add emphasis. The quality of writing matches. Street Angel is about an orphaned girl of 12 who is out on the streets, protecting the neighbourhood from ninjas, robots and mad scientists with her own insane ninja skills. The joy in this is, the over the top ninja stuff is great, but there are other stories dealing more with simply her life on the street that manage to not feel ...more
Michael
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Street Angel is based on geeky references and fun action. It's a fun ride. Not something I'd want to read every month, but Street Angel's hometown Wilkesborough is definitely worth visiting again on occasion.

Jesse Sanchez, aka Street Angel, is the homeless, world champion skateboarder, protector of her economically devastated hometown. She battles ninjas (lots of ninjas), mad scientists, robots and more in order to protect.... well, I'm not sure who she's protecting sometimes, but the plot isn't
Murphy
I really wanted to enjoy this comic, but feel I would have more if adults weren't clearly the intended audience. Jesse is easily an interesting character and I felt her world did not need to be supplemented by writing with an edge so sharp that it included slurs you cannot say in public without being justifiably slapped.

However, I did enjoy the art style and the energy it carried. Typically I find fight scenes tedious and repetitive to read in comics, but couldn't get enough of these and do pla
Shayna Ross
Pretty weird, but a fun read. Jesse AKA Street Angel is a 12 year old homeless skateboarder that excels in martial arts and ass-kicking. Her town is always filled with trouble, especially with ninja clans and evil villains. The art is clean and the stories are fun, but the execution sometimes drops. Good for people looking for local artists in Pittsburgh, strong females, and a bit of violence.
Ryan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
Jim Rugg is great. The stories in this collection are quick and fun, but also quickly forgettable. That's not a bad thing, it's just all you can get from this format. Rugg's style moves around a bit, but it's all very will draw. The edition I have would be served better by a slightly larger book so that the panels don't look so cramped.
Six
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
public librarian, looking for street-savvy teen friendly books about being awesome and poor and hungry all the damn time. shit dog. don't need f*cking literature. need jesse sanchez and her skateboard skillz.
Pete DeCourcy
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most easily digestible piece of pop art masquerading as a comic book you'll ever read.
Equal parts pants pissingly hilarious, mundane and heartbreaking.

The best use of Sound Effects in modern comics.
K Walton
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, and I thought the idea was cute and the main character endearing, but I quit halfway through because there ended up being more misogyny and rape jokes than I wanted to deal with.
Destiny Henderson
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeah, I wasn't charmed by this and even had ninjas. I like ninjas! I hope the sequel's better.
Emily
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2017
This book is so delightfully weird, you won't be prepared for when the feels hit.
Erik
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-humor
I really like the idea behind this comic. Rugg’s art is good and noticeably improves with each issue and the jokes are sometimes really funny, but I felt there were more misses than hits.
Tyler Kroon
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rollicking, absurd, violent romp, starring Street Angel, a 12 year old skateboarding orphan girl, as she kicks ass and saves the world.
Megan Cina-Bernard
3.5 stars, it was quirky, love Jesse and how badass she is!
Burton Olivier
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun as hell! Great stories, fun compositions.
James
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This black-and-white comic series focuses on the Street Angel, world-class skateboarder, brawler...and hungry, homeless teen. The creation of artist Jim Rugg and writer Brian Maluca, the story is full of ninjas, Satanists and other pop-culture amalgams designed to tickle the nerd funny bone.

And it is funny. "Street Angel" rides a Michael Kupperman/Evan Dorking/Axe Cop vibe, coming in with a little more bite and a little less absurdity. Sure, Street Angel beheads ninjas by the dozens and punches
« previous 1 3 next »

• X-Men: Grand Design
  • X-Men: Grand Design - Second Genesis
  • The Plain Janes (Janes, #1)
  • X-Men: Grand Design - X-Tinction
  • PTSD
  • War of the Realms
  • Alienation
  • American Barbarian
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Akira, Vol. 3
Jim Rugg is an Eisner and Ignatz Award-winning cartoonist based in Pittsburgh. His books include STREET ANGEL, The PLAIN Janes, The Guild, Afrodisiac, and Notebook Drawings. Awards and recognition from the Society of Illustrators, AIGA, Communication Arts, Print magazine, American Illustration, SPX, and Creative Quarterly adorn his mantle.

His studio is pencils, paper, ballpoint pens, ink, Photosho

Street Angel (10 books)