Start by marking “Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty” as Want to Read:
Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty

Street Angel: The Princess of Poverty (Street Angel #1-3)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  395 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
After 13 years on the streets of the grim, impoverished ghetto of Wilkesborough, Jesse Sanchez knows how to take care of herself even if she can't always take a bath. With dazzling martial artistry, peerless skateboarding skills, and questionable study habits, Jesse "Street Angel" Sanchez faces ninja street gangs, evil geologists, Satan worshippers, and anything else that ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by SLG Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Street Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Angel

Seth T.
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like to laugh
Shelves: comics
Jim Rugg's and Brian Maruca's Street Angel has a manic sensibility that makes it absolutely worth reading. It's not the kind of book one would return every season to be reminded of just how good it is, but that's kind of the way it is with comedies. Humour media are almost by their very nature light, disposable entertainment, because the thing about jokes is that they get old. So, ignoring that necessary deficit of the genre, let's talk Street Angel.

Jesse Sanchez is twelve. And homeless. With mu
Devin Bruce
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comic fans; people who like ninjas and/or skateboarding.
Shelves: adventure, fiction, comics
Okay, first things first: this book is about a 12-year-old girl who is a martial arts expert and the world’s greatest homeless skateboarder who has to fight ninjas, crime, time-traveling pirates, and nepotism deep in the heart of the city. That sentence alone made me want to read it, and it is just as awesome as it sounds, if not more. Plus, the supporting cast includes a one-armed, no-legged skateboarder named Bald Eagle, an old Blaxploitation hero named the Afrodesiac, and an Irish astronaut n ...more
Adam
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, comics
You are required to love a comic that features a rogue geologist as a villain. Yes.

Street Angel is the story of a homeless 13-year old world-class skateboarder and ninja fighter. She lives in a world of (the aforementioned) ninjas and scientists, but her world is also chock full of Aztec gods, Conquistadores, Irish astronauts, Satanists, and the headaches that come with being homeless. This volume collects the five issues of the series as well as short stories, covers, and a wealth of pinups and
Christopher
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Are you the target demographic for Aqua Teen Hunger Force? That is to say, high? Then buddy, have I got the book for you! It's got ninja riots, time traveling conquistadors, a dangerous geologist, and other nonsense straight out of a fever dream and onto a comic page!
Jenna
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is silly to the point of irreverence. The artwork is clean and fun and the stories are light and hilarious. I picked this up on recommendation from the friendly boy at my local comics shop and I am not disappointed. MC is a 12-year old homeless, ninja, skateboarding badass super-hero wannabe and, yes, that is as awesome and crazy as it sounds. This is like a comics version of a late-night, nonsensical Adult Swim cartoon and I really enjoyed it!
Jessica-Robyn
With a cover that stands out among other graphic novels, Street Angel wasn't something I could pass by without at least taking a peak inside.

The story here follows a young 8th grade girl, Jesse, who is orphaned, homeless, and living on the streets of a unforgiving ghetto full of ninjas and crime. (Yes, I just said ninjas, I'll get to that in a second.) On the streets she's known as Street Angel a skate boarding hero with deadly skills.

In this world of Street Angel's, ninjas roam in gangs (and
Emily
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the sense of humor behind this rather violent comic about a crime-fighting, skate-boarding orphan. The stories are short, unrelated and they take every opportunity to poke fun at familiar themes. My favorite line is said by a Spanish conquistador who has traveled forward into Street Angel's time. When she asks what their deal is, one of them says, "We come from your distant past." and the other says
Or possibly from your future...you know...if there was some kind of apocalypse and mankind
Jessi
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed. Jesse is a street kid that defends her city from ninjas and other bad guys. She is called Street Angel. She is a world class skateboarder, martial artist and dumpster diver. Read all about her adventures! Read it!
Derek Royal
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad to have all of the Street Angel issues collected in a nice hardbound edition. As with Afrodisiac, the humor here is most notable. Mucho fun, and what comics should be!
Tony
I picked this up because I liked the premise of a homeless 12-year-old skateboarding girl as a superhero. This book collects five of her adventures in Angel City, each of which has elements of basic superhero comic-book structure, action scenes, sardonic humor, and ninjas. And while that all sounds like a brilliant stew, it never really rose to the levels of awesomeness I was hoping for.

Among the villains she takes on are a mad scientist, time-travelling pirates, a Satanic demon, the creepy girl
Michael
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Street Angel is based on geeky references and fun action. It's a fun ride. Not something I'd want to read every month, but Street Angel's hometown Wilkesborough is definitely worth visiting again on occasion.

Jesse Sanchez, aka Street Angel, is the homeless, world champion skateboarder, protector of her economically devastated hometown. She battles ninjas (lots of ninjas), mad scientists, robots and more in order to protect.... well, I'm not sure who she's protecting sometimes, but the plot isn't
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
While meant to be a satire on traditional superhuman comics, much of the humor and comic juxtaposition relies on the belittling of disabled characters or on the misfortune and misogyny of the main character. This collection doesn't explore who Jesse Sanchez but relies on the reader being okay with out background information. There was one poignant issue in this volume that spoke to the troubles with being homeless, which was great. But for all the other reasons, it gets only 3 stars.
Shayna Ross
Pretty weird, but a fun read. Jesse AKA Street Angel is a 12 year old homeless skateboarder that excels in martial arts and ass-kicking. Her town is always filled with trouble, especially with ninja clans and evil villains. The art is clean and the stories are fun, but the execution sometimes drops. Good for people looking for local artists in Pittsburgh, strong females, and a bit of violence.
Pete DeCourcy
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most easily digestible piece of pop art masquerading as a comic book you'll ever read.
Equal parts pants pissingly hilarious, mundane and heartbreaking.

The best use of Sound Effects in modern comics.
Vi
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
public librarian, looking for street-savvy teen friendly books about being awesome and poor and hungry all the damn time. shit dog. don't need f*cking literature. need jesse sanchez and her skateboard skillz.
Destiny
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeah, I wasn't charmed by this and even had ninjas. I like ninjas! I hope the sequel's better.
Emily
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2017
This book is so delightfully weird, you won't be prepared for when the feels hit.
James
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This black-and-white comic series focuses on the Street Angel, world-class skateboarder, brawler...and hungry, homeless teen. The creation of artist Jim Rugg and writer Brian Maluca, the story is full of ninjas, Satanists and other pop-culture amalgams designed to tickle the nerd funny bone.

And it is funny. "Street Angel" rides a Michael Kupperman/Evan Dorking/Axe Cop vibe, coming in with a little more bite and a little less absurdity. Sure, Street Angel beheads ninjas by the dozens and punches
Mza
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
reading this is like going to see a band that can play any song on request; I'm convinced Rugg can draw anything in any style. Although ninjas and skating aren't my special areas of interest, they are perfect excuses to draw bodies in motion, and nobody's doing that better than Rugg. What's funny is that, as good as th action is, I wanted more quiet interludes, places to take a breather from violence, gleeful and balletic though it may be. There were @ least two passages that nearly elicited an ...more
Jessica
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty fun, would have liked to know more about that werewolf shark though. Most of the fan art in the back was great except for that really sexualized one. Like, ew, she's supposed to be 12-13.
Misskellz Wolcott
Mar 18, 2014 marked it as to-read
Very well written for street lit. I really liked the realism the writer created through setting and characterization. Both literary elements were highly believable, and it is clear that either the writer grew up in Brooklyn or did a lot of research to create such a realistic story. I also really liked how the writer placed the main character, Moises in Brooklyn Tech to help the reader to understand the struggles of a character that has to go to school in a place that doesn't understand the chall ...more
Bill
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Jesse Sanchez is the Street Angel, urban superhero, martial artist, and world's greatest homeless skateboarder. She deals with ninjas, mad geologists, Incan gods, time lost conquistadors, Blaxploitation heroes, Satanists, Irish spacemen, and one apparently determined giant squid. She also has to endure her harsh life on the sreets, constant hunger, and the embarassment of having classmates see her dumpster diving. Part wacky superhero send-up, part serious drama... you wouldn't think the two cou ...more
Aaron
The first issue was a weird introduction for me, but the book as a whole paid off. Great exploration of classic tropes via satire. The TV show Venture Bros. has a similar sensibility and level-mindedly surreal appreciation of its medium's history.

Loved the Incan Priest and CosMick. The street slang in the first novel felt dated and forced at the same time. It sounded more like jive than slang. Unflinching and hilarious vulgarity, though - Street Angel's "fucking" getting cut in halve horizontall
Christy
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's an excessively cool idea, but I guess I wanted more from it. Perhaps four stars would be more appropriate, as my main reproach is the book's brevity.

It follows the story of a homeless young girl, also a ninja with special powers..... Equally fighting crime and searching for food in dumpsters.
Included as nemeses are: the wereshark, Doctor Pangea, ninjas, and a clan of Satanists. As allies: Afrodisiac, a dude with no arms or legs (I forget his name), her cat, and fellow h
Korynn
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hipsters
Street Angel is kinda a guys' jamfest. It features a young homeless girl who can fight, swear and skateboard better than anyone else but is pretty normal in other respects. She has a number of adventures that defy explanation by their complete randomness with the assorted coolness of featuring ninjas, pirates, aztec gods, mad scientists, spaceman, demons and squid. It's fun to watch and read but don't expect anything other than entertainment from it. Improve your street cred with other hipsters ...more
Jerry Skold
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Street Angel is a teenaged skater who fights evil geologists and their ninja henchmen.
She is ALSO a homeless girl who looks for food among dumpsters, goes to sleep hungry and tries to avoid being seen sleeping outside by people from her school. The tonal shift between stories is jarring, but it does underscore the beauty of this comic; if youre expecting the zany action, well - its there, but it is other things as well. Highly recommended.
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
This was a hidden gem. Street Angel is a 12 year old orphan who is a martial arts expert, badass skateboarder, and ferocious vigilante. The stories in this book feature ninjas, time traveling pirates, aztec gods, mad scientists/geologists, spacemen, demons, and a giant squid. What’s not to like? Well….I felt that some of the stories were too short and I wanted more character development. That being said, it’s still a good, entertaining read.
Emilia P
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
I am scratching my head over why I thought this would be good, and why it's been on my list for so long. The pink cover? Um... yeah. So it was like "this is a comic book! not a graphic novel! full of cartoonish violence and barely formed characters! but somehow better than real commercial comic books!" Uh, k. I am sure that is many folks cup of tea, but it is kind of flat for a graphic novel snob like myself. Art was ok, but not fantastic. There was a cool wereshark, I guess.
Genevieve
Sep 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another teenage girl who kicks ass - not a terribly original premise. In the first few issues the authors seem to be trying too hard to be random and post-modern (or something), I mean ninjas fighting time-traveling pirates and skateboard chicks is too (insert word). They do seem to settle in with the characters by the fourth episode (my edition only has the first five) and I would certainly like to see if they continue to improve.
Naomi
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Street Angel is my hero. In my fevered, teenaged tomboy dreams, I would be Street Angel, conquering a roomsful of uncertain ninjas and defeating pithy, time-travelling marauders. In my fevered adult tomboy dreams, I long for more tales of Street Angel, the skateboarding superstar. Great stories, great art, great fun.
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • Afrodisiac
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 24: The Education of Hopey Glass
  • Hicksville
  • Same Difference and Other Stories
  • Godland Volume 1: Hello, Cosmic!
  • Too Cool to Be Forgotten
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Fantasy Sports No. 1
  • Stray Bullets: Uber Alles Edition
  • Essential Howard the Duck, Vol. 1
Jim Rugg is an Eisner and Ignatz Award-winning cartoonist based in Pittsburgh. His books include STREET ANGEL, The PLAIN Janes, The Guild, Afrodisiac, and Notebook Drawings. Awards and recognition from the Society of Illustrators, AIGA, Communication Arts, Print magazine, American Illustration, SPX, and Creative Quarterly adorn his mantle.

His studio is pencils, paper, ballpoint pens, ink, Photosho
More about Jim Rugg

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand