Start by marking “Child's Mind: Mindfulness Practices to Help Our Children Be More Focused, Calm, and Relaxed” as Want to Read:

The interest in teaching meditation to children is growing rapidly, as a number of recent stories in the mainstream media have documented. Child's Mind aims to teach parents and child professionals how to integrate mindfulness into their work with children and teach both young children and adolescents the basics of mindfulness and meditation. The book is a great resource f ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Child's Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child's Mind

Steve Woods
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In a world where we live in a society that values disconnection and ego driven desire above all things this book is a treasure. It offers ways for those of us who are interested in finding our way along a Buddhist path (usually because of our frustration and disappointment with the life our own society has offered) to communicate the experience truth of the Buddha's teachings to those most valuable human beings, children. As I have made my own way down this astonishing path I have often wondered ...more
Marie
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is full of short exercises to do with children, ranging from a simple conversation about where a raisin comes from, to serious visualization and relaxation sessions. The author clearly has experience with kids and is realistic about getting them to do things. My 10-year old daughter was very open to trying things in the book; some she enjoyed, some not as much. (The idea of her body evaporating into the air didn't sit well). My 7-year old boy had trouble with visualization, and his bre ...more
Melisa
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for any parent, teacher or anyone who deals with children. Wonderful meditations for children and adults. I love his honest and humble manner and the way his work and personal expectations are tempered by reality and the slow process of change.
Bean
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
a great Buddhist-inspired practical meditation guide for children in the Vipassana tradition.
Colleen
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loaned-out
Love this! I highly recommend it!
Shannon D'Arpino
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although it took me a bit to finish this little book because I missed placed it in a pile somewhere, I found it an amazingly engaging read. I am a mindful practicing individual as well as a teacher of 500 children on the teechniques of mindfulness. I found many of his practices fabulous and creative to offer people who work with kids. I highly recommend this book. It's a great read!
Sonia Mainstone-Cotton
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, full of great ideas and practices to use with younger and older children.
Kyla Belvedere
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good book with a lot of useful scripts based on different situations. Maybe geared more to teachers than parents? I say this mainly because of the lesson plan section.
Janelle
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book on mindfulness... pretty well cited (as a grad student I would have liked to seen more) and done in Chicago style so the reader can ignore the citations easily. I would like to try some of the strategies he discussed myself and I'm definitely going to buy this book asap. I would recommend this book to ANYONE of ANY age who is interested in mindfulness and/or meditation.

Overall, very well written and easy to read book... with very easily applied practical strategies.
Dixie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Clear and concise with lots of real life examples and practices that can fit into your life easily as a starting point for further growth while developing your practice. The author is making a change in the world that will be felt for generations.
Jess
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
my friends rule.
Lindsey
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I had to read this book for work. Some good advice and techniques on how to be mindful and help students be mindful.
Marina Riker-kucic
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Great practical tool for introducing mindfulness to groups with fun and simplicity.
Amanda Moore
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of great exercises to try with kids and well-framed arguments/carefully researched reasons we need to teach mindfulness early.
Mary Alice