Start by marking “DV8: Gods and Monsters” as Want to Read:
DV8: Gods and Monsters

DV8: Gods and Monsters (DV8: Gods and Monsters Complete)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  193 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The fan-favorite super team DV8 returns with an explosive new adventure written by critically acclaimed writer Brian Wood (DEMO, DMZ, NORTHLANDERS) and illustrated by up-and-coming artist Rebekah Isaacs.In their short history, the mismatched, super powered losers, freaks and masochists of DV8 have seen a lot and done even more, but it’s nothing compared to this. As Gem Ant ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by WildStorm

To ask other readers questions about DV8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DV8

Amanda
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, kick-ass, blog
I had never heard of DV8, which apparently had a series run before this stand-alone storyline was released. And chances are I would never have stumbled across it if it weren't for my local comic book guru, Dave, picking it up and saying, "Here, Amanda. You're going to love this." Yet another reason to support your local comic book store--it certainly beats the shit out of a generic and often bizarrely inaccurate "Amazon Recommends" suggestion.

But I digress. DV8 is about a group of genetically ad
William Thomas
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
While some people seem to be slavishly devoted to Brian Wood, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Or I didn't. Until now.

I've read plenty of his other books and was less than thrilled. Sub-par or mediocre all around. But I picked this collection up from the library because I've been binging on graphic novels lately and was pleasantly surprised.

I've never read the original 32 issue run of DV8. And I think that's because of the Wildstorm imprint. I shied away from anything Image fo
Erinn M
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like most things I am late to finding the awesomeness that is this comic. Recommended to me by my local comic store owner, I picked this up earlier in the year and when I finally sat down to read it I could not put it down.

Originally DV8 was published by WildStorm and lasted 32 issues running from August 1996 to November 1999. This eight issue stand alone, Gods and Monsters, ran from June 2010 to January 2011 written by Brian Wood and art by Rebekah Isaacs. From the back cover:

eight misfits are
Otherwyrld
This should have been right up my street but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I really don't like superhero stories where the women are stuck with the mental powers while the guys have the physical powers, and this story had this trope in spades. Some good artwork though.
Carlos Urrego
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott Lee
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. I didn't realize what this was--reprinted Wild Storm stuff from before Wild Storm and DC truly merged. It's Gen13 spin off apparently. I thought it was okay, but it was more a "had potential" judgment than anything else.
Cale
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
First thing, it helps to know DV8 before reading this - it's obviously not the first volume with the characters; it's a standalone that probably doesn't impact much of their world, and it does a decent job of introducing/explaining the characters, but there are several references to previous stories that go over your head if you haven't read them.
That being said, this book tackles an interesting concept - If you dropped a handful of GenActive individuals into a tribal age, what would they do? An
Skye Kilaen
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chilling. That's my one word summary. To be more detailed, a team of superpowered young adults (who don't all get along) is stranded on a developing planet. They don't know why. They don't know where they are. They'd been separated for the last few months in some kind of lab, and now this. Is this forever? Facing their lives among the planet's indigenous population, their reactions vary.

How do super-powered people behave when there are no rules? What parts of their personalities come out with no
Mitch Louther
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I was really big fan of the original series and was always disappointed that the series never went past the orignal 32 issues with the few annuals. When I saw that a new trade came over 10 years later I was really excited.

Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. I like the premiss of a bunch of super powered teenagers waking up on a primative world and becoming gods to the natives but that was where it ended for me.

I was happy to see these characters I am still attached too come bac
Keya
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, comics
One part Freakangels, one part Teen Titans, all parts good, DV8: Gods and Monsters is a very enjoyable miniseries. Though DV8 has been around since before Freakangels, there are many similarities between Gods and Monsters and Ellis' web comic series. We've got a cast of teenagers/young adults with metahuman abilities that are struggling to find their place in the world. Gods and Monsters differs from Freakangels in that the members of DV8 are much more antagonistic towards each other than the Fr ...more
Alan
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Even though the often excellent Brian Wood wrote this it just didn't quite hit the mark I was expecting (i.e. excellent). It is a good story. Take 8 super powered late teens/young adults (age is never really specified) and drop them on a planet that is about the Bronze Age level of development. What do you get? Some of the tribes view these people as gods, but narrator Gem know they are closer to monsters because of their respective pasts of being used as lab rats and covert operatives. The two- ...more
Arec Rain
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic series. It is a shame that more people don't know about it. As a sequel to the first DV8, the first thing I noticed about this comic is that the artwork is so much better than the first. In fact, I find it beautiful.

The story line is one of the best I have read in a long time. These eight people with powers are dropped onto a primitive planet where they are seen as gods. The story is told through Copy Cat, or Gem, who has the power to control people but also has split personali
Mouse
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
The problem with this book is that you don't really care about any of these characters! They're sort of like a bipolar group of X-Men...or a dysfunctional Teen Titans. At least the Titans or X-Men would want to do the right thing. These guys just hang out on some primitive planet and rule and have sex with tribal people. They bitch, moan, argue and get stoned instead of doing anything worthwhile.
I grabbed this book from the library because I thought it was the first book in some new series. Wel
Donovan
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Wow, what a great concept. Take a dysfunctional superhero team and drop them, literally, onto a "savage" land where they are adopted by the warring tribes as various gods. It was a really fun read, but I had a couple of places where I couldn't follow the action and my biggest problem with it was that it was only a mini-series. I think the idea could have been an entire continuing series unto itself. Instead, it isn't allowed a chance to grow into itself. There was a lot to explore here and eight ...more
Lady Entropy
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I never really liked the DV8 kids in their original format. Sure, they were a nice break of the clean and proper Gen 13 kids, but they were a bit one-note.

And yet, oh good god, this tradepaperback is fricking AWESOME. Awesome pacing, awesome concept, awesome exploration of topics and themes. Some bits of the ending were a tad contrived (proto samurai and near cavemen living only a few dozen miles apart?), and the obligatory death for drama seemed both a bit forced, and due to the fragmentary nat
Magila
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up on a whim, and I'm glad I did. Definitely a comic for adults, though nudity and profanity (with one self edited obscenity) were happily absent. Each of the chapters tells the tale of one superhero, who is in a way equal parts God and Monster, on a far off world. I was not familiar with this series, and can only hope other installments live up to the story, and art of this graphic novel collection. Great story arch, surprising conclusion.

Recommend.
Matt Piechocinski
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This would have been a 4, if not for ONE gaping plot hole ... why didn't the Authority and Stormwatch evacuate the doomed planet? Jackson King might have stood by to watch his little superhero experiment, but NO WAY, would the Authority stand for it. I mean, they have the power of the Carrier ... they could have done it. Other than that, solid read.
matt
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
What an exciting find this was. I am not familiar with the original series - but I would be surprised to find that is a better piece of work than thiis excellent book. The story is essentially a mystery that unfolds as we slowly learn more about each of the characters and how they respond to the stressfull circumstances they have suddenly found themselves in. Highly recommended.
Rich Barrett
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Loved the first half of this. Love the art. But then it just didn't really come together for me. I'm not sure I understood the point of it all. Possibly because I'm not too familiar with Wildstorm comics and had never read about these characters before. It seemed like that wouldn't matter until the last issue when it kind of did.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Wellp that was the hardest I've cried at anything in a long time so it must have done something right. Kind of wish I'd read the original run of the series first though because I don't think I can do it now.
Matt
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really excellent book. I love the pathos that Wood injects into the story, handling character-building, world-building, and background all very deftly, all while keeping the emotion running high. Isaacs' art is also transcendental.
Dan
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never heard of this team before, but this made for an interesting read. What if super powered people were dropped off on an primeval world? Wouldn't they be seen as gods? Great story....wondering if there are other books about these guys.
Jessica
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, adult, superhero
I'd never read any of this series or even read about it, so this was a drop into a whole established world. It was alright as an introduction, and I enjoyed it. I like Brian Wood a lot already, so I suppose that helped.
Fugo Feedback
No me enganchó tanto como para leérmelo todo de una, pero sí lo suficiente como para retomarlo cuando tuve chance. Buen guion y bonito dibujo. Otro día quizás me explaye y blablablá...
Brian
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, sci-fi
fun story. interesting characters.
Jason
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nice artwork, never read these characters before and the situation they were put in was very enjoyable. Brian wood good as always
Erica
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Generally love Brian Wood's stories, but DV8 never quite lived up to its premise. Not bad, just not as good as it could be.
Rafa Araujo
A full action packed story about my all time group of ¿heroes?
fast pacing, great character development and a end emotionally charged
flawless ¡Bravo!
Blair
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointing stuff from Wood. A ridiculous premise that's poorly handled. Hated the art.
Molly
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was good- I felt a little like I was missing some background, but not really. It was all pretty much there. Teens with superpowers, dropped on a planet... I would read more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Alabaster: Wolves
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Danger Club, Vol. 1: Death
  • Wolverine: Weapon X, Volume 3: Tomorrow Dies Today
  • Catwoman, Vol. 2: Crooked Little Town
  • Revolver
  • Kramers Ergot #7
  • Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)
  • Gambit Classic, Vol. 1
  • Godland Volume 1: Hello, Cosmic!
  • Dear Creature
  • Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 4: The Crooked Man and the Troll Witch
  • Power Girl, Volume 4: Old Friends
  • Destroyer
  • Underground
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
Brian Wood's history of published work includes nearly thirty volumes of genre-spanning original material.

From the 1500-page future war epic DMZ, the ecological disaster series The Massive, the American crime drama Briggs Land, the blistering youth culture action trilogy The Couriers, and the groundbreaking lo-fi dystopia Channel Zero, Wood has a proven track record of marrying socially-conscious
More about Brian Wood

DV8: Gods and Monsters (3 books)
  • DV8: Gods and Monsters #1
  • DV8: Gods and Monsters #2
  • DV8 Gods and Monsters Part 8 of 8 (Comic)