Start by marking “Victim of the Aurora” as Want to Read:
Victim of the Aurora

Victim of the Aurora

The thrilling story of an ill-fated expedition to the South Pole
by the bestselling and award-winning author of Schindler's List.

In the waning years of the Edwardian era, a group of English gentleman- adventurers led by Sir Eugene Stewart launched an expedition to reach the South Pole. More than sixty years later, Anthony Piers, the official artist of the New British South
Published September 28th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Victim of the Aurora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victim of the Aurora

Kathryn
I think listening to this as an audiobook was not ideal for this book - in hindsight, I think reading it as a regular book and being able to flick back and forth would have been more beneficial. I also put it aside for 2 weeks when I went on holiday, which also didn't help with keeping the storyline and characters straight in my mind. I liked the setting of Antarctica, and maybe one day I'll read this as a normal book and may appreciate it more.
Christine
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Peter Ackroyd
What is it about men and polar ice? And what is it about those of us who never do anything so . . . well, pick your adjective, but read about it anyway?

Keneally's book details the story of an ill fated, perhaps, pole trip where there is a murder. Imagine, the middle of nowhere, a small shack and some one is a killer.

Unless that ghost isn't a ghost.

This is far shorter (and pre-dates) Simmons book The Terror. It als is far more of a character study and the struggle to come to terms not only with t
Sandy Sexton
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia
Leaving aside any plot summary, the religious parallels in this novel are strong. We have the all knowing trinity, made up of Sir Eugene Stewart, the leader of the expedition to Antarctica, Anthony Piers, the artist, and Alec Dryden, the man in charge of the scientific staff. They are the only ones aware that the death of the accompanying journalist was murder, and agree to let the rest of the crew believe it was an accident while they investigate
When the journal, revealing the sins of those on
Mikee
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, keneally, sea
This was a good read, well-written, and fairly accurate in its depictions of the Southern Continent. The details of the plot, however, are a bit weak. Good entertainment, though.
Les Wilson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting book, that reads just like a biography.
Jack Heath
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: category-mystery
Synopsis: an ill-fated expedition tries for the South Pole - Sir Eugene Stewart and company. Later we learn of bitter cold, hunger and murder.
Anna
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arctic
'Victim of the Aurora' is a fascinating novel set during an expedition to the South Pole, but not actually about the expedition itself as such. The events chronicled by the narrator, Anthony Piers, demonstrate the undercurrents beneath the usual accounts of bravery and hardiness in such extreme circumstances. The plot unfolds gradually but inexorably, involving from the very beginning. Anthony is an interesting narrator, who regularly acknowledges his hindsight and second-guesses himself. The ot ...more
Lara
Despite some difficulty with...well, just the mores of Edwardian society, I really enjoyed this book a lot. Keneally has created an Antarctic expedition that takes place in 1909, based on an amalgamation of the Scott, Shackleton and Mawson expeditions that took place around that time in real life. It's a fairly satisfying murder mystery in that, while I didn't ultimately find the murderer a surprise, Keneally did manage to surprise me with the motive and the final outcome, and the red herrings a ...more
Krysten
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: antarctica
I wish this book were twice as long as it is. Keneally slows down the action at somewhat maddening points. I liked the perspective of the aged-former-polar-explorer quite a lot and wished there were more details about his post-Antarctica life.

I very much appreciated that Keneally pretty much skipped the journey to Antarctica, which would have taken ages by ship and would have been recorded in painstaking detail by a writer from the Heroic Age of Antarctic exploration (I am looking at you, Scott
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Chris
Just arrived from Australia through BM.

This is the story of the new British South Polar expedition in 1910 when Captain Eugene Stewart is challenged to find the murder among his crew of Victor Henneker, an expedition journalist.

The book is very well written and describes the rigors and loneliness of the Antarctic wastes.

Among the narrative, two interesting books are mentioned by the author, such as: The Sea Wolf by Jack London and Trilby by George du Maurier.

Now I must read some book by Ernest S
Anthony Eaton
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This novel is one which really impacted on me in the writing of 'Into White Silence' in that it masterfully recreates 'history that never happened'. In thinking about my own fictional antarctic expedition, Keneally's thorough attention to detail, and perfectly honed atmospherics really set a benchmark.
Jason
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: more-literary
Thomas Kenneally is a great author, and he's working with can't-miss material here - Scott's first Antarctic expedition, as told by Apsley-Cherry-Gerard, except that it's fiction, and there's a murder. A favorite!
Paul
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Story about an exhibition to the south pole in the early 1900s. Well written by the guy that wrote Schindler's list, it basically was a murder mystery set in the freezing Antarctic. Never really loved the book for some reason but it was O.K.
Stephen
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Polar murder mystery that nipped right along, and had a satisfactory wrap up. Some of the flash forwards to WWI, and the 1960s didn't seem to be necessary, but maybe it gave a needed break.
Stefan
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
An interesting but depressing read of mystery and exploration.
TJ
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Interesting story. not as capativating as I thought it would be. Not sure how much of it was fictionalized and how much was realy based on other stories.
Frieda Verbaenen
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book by Thomas Keneally that I ever read and found I couldn't put it down. The suspense of wanting to know what happened kept me up all night.
Gordon
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I wouldn't have gone out of my way to find this book, but stumbled on it without regrets. A mixture of breathtaking icy panorama, ironic social commentary, engrossing mystery and human tragedy.
Naomi
Mar 21, 2013
Jut Mitchel
Nov 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Thomas Michael Keneally, AO (born 7 October 1935) is an Australian novelist, playwright and author of non-fiction. He is best known for writing Schindler's Ark, the Booker Prize-winning novel of 1982, which was inspired by the efforts of Poldek Pfefferberg, a Holocaust survivor. The book would later be adapted to Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List (1993), which won the Academy Award for Best Pict ...more
“The dogs were really keening now, like Irish widows.” 2 likes