Start by marking “Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)

Aliens Ate My Homework

(Alien Adventures #1)

IT'S THE WEIRDEST ALIEN INVASION EVER!

"I cannot tell a lie," says Rod Allbright. And it's the truth. Ask him a question, and he's bound to give you an honest answer. Which is why when his teacher asks what happened to last night's math assignment, Rod has to give the only answer he can: "Aliens ate my homework, Miss Maloney!"

Of course, no one believes Rod this time, so t
Published October 1st 1993 by Aladdin Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Aliens Ate My Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens Ate My Homework

Start your review of Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)
Travis Clemens
I think the thing that sustains this kind of book is the dialogue. It reminds me of the schoolyard, when a lot of boys would spend half their recess just arguing about something, and putting a lot of energy into putting each other down and making sarcastic remarks. So Colville's aliens are especially good at sarcasm and put-downs. The aliens say things like "We have been sent to this miserable back-water of a planet," and "you are a very troubled people, we feel sorry for you." They make all kin ...more
Scotty
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7-9 year old boys
So, we had a family trip to make today and I wanted to find an audiobook we could share with my family, particularly my 7 year old. He is doing reading bingo at school and he needed to listen to an audiobook. After some searching in the digital download of my library I found this highly recommended book.

While my family did enjoy listening to the book and it held our interest, it is very much geared to a young audience. Even at 7 years old I would recommend this book be read/listened to in short
Rojitas
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Th book is about a boy that in an axcident he know tiny aliens. But the problem is that they it his homework and the boy can not lie.When he go to the school and they ask him what happen with his homework he said that "aliens ate my homework". Does aliens were in the earth because they were looking for a criminal alien that was in the earth like a human.The boy help the aliens to trap the criminal alien.
Meagan
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
My students loved this book! It is suspenseful, it is funny, and it is relateable. One day an alien spaceship comes crashing through Rod's bedroom window. They demand that he helps them to find a missing part of their ship so that they can continue with their mission of finding an intergalactic criminal, then re-enlarge their ship and return home. At first Rod is intimidated and annoyed by the little creatures, but they soon become friends. This story tells about their adventures of figuring out ...more
Kodi H
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
aliens crash through the window and land in a paper mache valcano. the two twins try to grab the ship but Grakker jumps out and grabs a ray gun and points it at the twins. so far i have heard he got his ear pierced and a boy took his alien. this is a good book. i reccomend this all the children.
Blake
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just reread this for the first time in 20 years. Still love it.

ETA: Apparently the default edition for this book is the audio version. No, I didn't listen to it. I read the paperback when it first came out in early 90s and most recently I read the eBook.
Susan Wilkes
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a whim I reread this book. It was one of my favorites as a child and was very formative for me. With J.K. Rowling deciding that 2020 was a good time to implode her career, or at least her reputation, I've been curious about some of the other things I read when I was younger.

Bruce Coville wrote a wide range of children's books in the 90s that made him and such other authors like K.A Applegate and R.L Stein a kind of literary ground zero for Scifi/Fantasy/Horror fans. Unlike the authors of Goo
Mary Garrett
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aliens Ate My Homework by BRUCE COVILLE
Aliens are in search of an intergalactic criminal of the worst order, guilty of cruelty, and it’s up to “klutzy” Rod Allbright to assist in attempts to capture him, while wrangling twin toddler siblings, Thing One and Thing Two. The twins insisted on the new names after reading Dr. Seuss, but agreed to a good-night “bop” with a stuffed toy instead of a kiss. Sweet kids.
It’s a wild adventure, full of humor and insights, and will be a movie sometime soon, wi
Colleen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, sf-humor
I'm not sure why or how my mother picked this book up (we were living in South America at the time), but I do remember clearly it was the second chapter book we read together, and in subsequent years when my parents despaired over my science fiction obsession, I tried once or twice to remind them that the hook was set deep and early by reading several pages of this book together each morning before the school bus came, when I was a brand-new kindergartner.

Rod Albright is a great character and th
Denise Chojnacki
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This book will be coming out in movie form so I wanted to read it for possible use in my Book & a Movie program through work. It is definitely writing for kids. At one point I was thinking of not continuing it but then it took off, and I read it rather quickly. There many other children's books that have a bit more in the way of quality writing, but I think this may have been aimed at reluctant readers that do not require that. Having said that, I know that Coville is a popular author and well-l ...more
MarkH
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book held up a lot better than I thought it would. This review is probably pretty biased since I loved Bruce Coville and he was probably my first introduction to common science fiction themes. Yes, this book contains lots of cliches. Yes, a lot of science fiction themes are introduced at a simple level. But there was a lot more science fiction themes introduced than I remember. There were some pretty clever parts. This was the original science fiction adventure book that I loved without bei ...more
Mark Sabol
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coville hits the mark in this book with humor and vocabulary that exceeds the reading level, but does not lose the target audience. Even makes some not so subtle societal/political observations. I would say strong 4th grade up to 6th grade readers would enjoy this (heck, anyone... I enjoyed it as an adult, retired teacher).
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid and its still a really good book! I think this is the first book I ever read with a non binary character, though its not exactly the representation you would want.

Also, reading this as an adult, are Snout and Gracker a couple?! Im just gonna assume yes. 👽💖👾
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Coville's books super informed my philosophy on death and values for living without me even realizing it as I read them as a kid.
Claire
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my FAVORITES.
...from when I was EIGHT.

I don't remember anything serious about it, except I LOVED IT SO MUCH.
Natalia
Meh. This is read and forget type of book.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My family loves listening to Bruce Corville books. Always funny and entertaining.
Troy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this back in middle school and I really enjoyed Coville’s idea of aliens and why they’d be here on Earth. This was another fun read I remember and I hope young readers can still get into this.
Karen
3.5! As always, Bruce Coville is a delight.
Michael
An amusing way to spend your afternoon.
Charles
One of my absolute favorite books as a boy. Reading it as an adult only made me enjoy it even more.
Sarah Jean
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was bigger to me than Star Wars, it was my first step into science fiction. Very dear to me!
Amy
I enjoyed Aliens Ate My Homework. The story was creative, and the characters were fun, and I definitely think that it would appeal to reluctant readers, perhaps especially to boys. Our main character is a good boy who suffers at the hands of bullies. He does what he knows is right, even when that winds up working against him. I really liked how the author portrayed Rod, and I do think that a lot of boys out there would identify with his personal struggles. The personal troubles are not the heart ...more
Tanja
This book surprised me as it turned out to be quite different from what I had expected it to be. I had picked it up because it was one of our book room titles that I hadn't read yet and wanted to evaluate for our students' literature circles. After reading it, I have no doubt that many of my upper primary students will enjoy it. As it touches on far more than just the fantastical and futuristic idea of an alien landing on earth - bullying, teasing, sibling and parent-child relationships, empathy ...more
Spencer
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
2018
"Never shrug while carrying a trigger-happy, paranoid alien on your shoulder."

I love that this story is about bullying without it being overly preachy. The aliens that crash through Rod's window are looking for an intergalactic criminal. He is a considered one of the worst criminals in the galaxy. The aliens finally reveal to Rod that BKR (the criminal mastermind) is wanted because he lacks empathy and is cruel to others for the sake of being cruel. I really like that the biggest crimina
Kendall Kraiss
Aliens Ate My Homework would be considered a science fiction story. Do aliens exist? Ask your students. This story might be a fun way to start a unit about the solar system. This story would be more appropriate for 3rd grade (maybe 2nd-4th grade) and could be a fun read for students during reading time. This book might also be a good book to use as a book-report option for students who enjoy science and outer space. This book was cute and creative and anything dealing with "something eating home ...more
Katrina Knittle
This is one of those books I feel i will always like no matter what. I think I was in second grade when my teacher started reading this book to us. And so many years later I decided to pick it up and read it myself. This is definitely a book to read to the younger crowd. One of the most amazing things in the book is the illustrations throughout it. They are so beautiful and help you imagine the story so much more.
Travis Bughi
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this on Goodreads recommendations list, which is funny because the second I read the title, I totally remember reading it back when I was a kid.

Great book then. One of the rare stand-alones I read that wasn't part of a series. I think my mother actually recommended this one to me, which made me skeptical. For some reason I didn't trust her judgement to recommend me books when I was young.

Who knows what my reasons were. Anyway! Yeah! Great book!
Nick Douglas
I loved this series as a kid; disappointed as an adult. The alien technology conveniently shapes itself around the plot rather than any interesting system or theme. The author constantly reminds the reader of plot points by having the narrator "remember" them, which feels amateurish.

I'm still thankful to this series for introducing me to some basic sci-fi concepts as a kid, but I think I could have learned them from a more compelling story.
Katrina
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I didn't listen to it but I read it over again recently. I missed this book so much. Who doesn't love the classic line of aliens ate my homework. It's such a cute story of how they come and crash through a window. The story is wonderful for children and people of all ages. And if I remember right it's a series. I need to go read the rest. Total five star story for a children's book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion (Horrible Harry #3)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)
  • The Mark of the Crown (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #4)
  • The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)
  • The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • 1984
  • Horrible Harry at Halloween
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Which Witch?
  • Witchlight
  • The Hundred Dresses
  • Stink and the Incredible Super-Galactic Jawbreaker
  • American Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump
  • Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)

Alien Adventures (4 books)
  • I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X (Alien Adventures, #2)
  • The Search for Snout (Alien Adventures, #3)
  • Aliens Stole My Body (Alien Adventures, #4)

News & Interviews