Start by marking “The Wisdom of Sam: Observation on Life from an Uncommon Child” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom of Sam: Observation on Life from an Uncommon Child

The Wisdom of Sam: Observation on Life from an Uncommon Child

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
       The Wisdom of Sam celebrates the precious gifts of life and the innocence of childhood. At the book’s heart is the story of a grandfather and his remarkable grandson, who share an indelible bond. Each one faces a unique set of challenges—quadriplegia and autism. But the differences in age, outlook, and experience soon vanish as this extraordinary pair share universa ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Hay House (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Sam

Angela Coleman
I enjoyed the first book so much that I was eager to read this second book. Honestly I was a bit disappointed. The book was filled with great insight and thoughtful commentary but I felt it was a bit wordy and ran on a little longer than necessary. Still a good book just not as great as the first.
Gregory Barron
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy book to read. Uplifting and tender in some spots and helpful. I especially liked his way of accepting things
Haniva Az Zahra
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
baiklah, baru sempat menuliskan reviewnya sekarang.
jadi, buku ini masih bercerita tentang Sam dan Pop Daniel Gottlieb, yang selalu senang melakukan refleksi diri dan menemukan bahwa ternyata, begitu banyak alasan dalam hidup kita untuk bersyukur dan bahagia.

dari anak-anak, dari Sam yaitu anak dengan spektrum autisme sekalipun, kita bisa banyak belajar tentang hidup. karena sayangnya, semakin dewasa, semakin sering juga kita mereduksi kehidupan sehingga melewatkan banyak hal yang berharga. dari
Betty
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam is described as an Uncommon Child, not necessarily because he is on the autism spectrum, but because of his one-liners. Sam is 8-years-old. The author, Daniel Gottlieb, is his grandfather who happens to be quadriplegic.

Sam's comments and questions about life, death, and things in between such as "Why do people have to get naked?" are the backbone of the book. Gottlieb takes the backbone and fleshes it out with chapters about events in their lives. We learn about Sam's first solo night away f
Julianne
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first of the "to Sam" books from Gottlieb, and was very interested to see where the last few years took him and Sam as they both continued to learn how to interact with the world. This one had a bit less of personal journeys and more of the "life lessons," similar to what you'd get in many self-help/motivational books. It was a nice perspective and had lots of good reminders about keeping perspective on life, being in tune with what you're feeling (and why), and "raising the kid you h ...more
Wellington
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wow, I'm the the first reviewer.

Now a disclaimer, I don't know anyone diagnosed with autism. Nor am I a parent. But hey I did work with a quadriplegic. But I am a human being. I do ask questions and try to make sense of this thing called life.

The book is a sequel of a quadriplegic grandfather and his relationship with his autistic grandson, Sam. It's a gentle book of sweet tidbits that could people say, "Awwww..."

From all this book I learned that we all have various degrees of autism. And w
Terry
Daniel Gottlieb's relationship with his autistic grandson is endearing. Daniel shares Sam's unique perspective on life, as he sees it. But I was extremely impressed with the way Daniel answered Sam's questions and soothed his fears in a very honest, heartfelt manner. What an awesome pair they make!

This is a book in the tradition of Tuesdays with Morrie that is just so uplifting and inspiring -- a must read!
Tracy
Jun 25, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
can't wait to read this. i read "Letters to Sam" by the same author years ago and LOVED it. It is about a quadrapalegic grandfather who wrote a book of letters to his autistic 5 year old grandson detailing life lessons on "being different". Just heard about his new book on NPR about the lessons he has learned FROM his grandson now that he is 10 years old....
Julia
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Widsom of Sam is just a beautiful book for me. I love the way how the author expresses his feelings about his grandson Sam. The book shows you big values to catch in order to put them in practice for life.
Diane
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Both the child and his grandfather were annoying.
Dinakar
It is an OK book. Nothing spectacular.
Tina Nealen
Apr 30, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Randy
Read the Indonesian version by Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Kali
Dec 19, 2016
Apoorva
Dec 20, 2012
Daniel Gottlieb, Ph.D.
Dan began his practice in 1969 after receiving undergraduate and graduate degrees at Temple University. As a young psychologist, his early career specialized in addictions where he ultimately was the director of a community based treatment program in Philadelphia. He enjoyed early successes and loved spending time with his two young daughters. The first decade of his career f
More about Daniel Gottlieb...