Start by marking “Crescent Carnival” as Want to Read:
Crescent Carnival

Crescent Carnival

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The story is of several generations of a New Orleans family. Members of this same family are involved in some of the Mardi Gras traditions still being practiced. The story of the family is very well done but the explanation of the Carnival customs is superb.
Published June 1st 1974 by Pocket Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Crescent Carnival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescent Carnival

Carrie
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was given this book because New Orleans and its Carnival celebration appear in the story. Surprisingly, this New Orleanian got caught up in the plot and characters as well as the dramatic and meticulous descriptions of New Orleans and its history. Published in the mid-1940s, Crescent Carnival tells the story of three generations of Louisianians – Americans and Creoles – and their search to find happiness in the 1890s, 1910s, and 1940s. Over 60 years, politics and society change, but the men an ...more
LaRue
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The dates shown for my having read Crescent Carnival are a little misleading---I've read this book many times over the years and its appeal is always fresh. Set in New Orleans beginning in the 1890s and extending through World War II, the story covers three generations of lovers who are victims of their times because the Creole customs and the Roman Catholic religion that make up the top echelons of New Orleans society make it impossible for the heroine, Estelle Lenoir , to follow her heart. She ...more
Becky
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
FRANCIS PARKINSON KEYES… Over the years I've bought and read most of her books, and I've never been disappointed. I can see how some readers might think her writing is slow. That's because she takes time to give rich details of the time period, her settings, and the backgrounds for her plots. Her impeccable research is second to none. But that's not why I love her work so much. What she does best is tell a great story. In the end, that's the difference between her work and that of lesser writers ...more
CLM
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
This may well be her most outstanding novel, following several generations of New Orleans families, some of who are fated to make the same mistakes as their ancestors. Keyes describes an irrestistible bygone world of Mardi Gras balls, Huey Long politics, conflict between Catholics and Protestants, double standards for men and women, in a way that is convincing and enthralling.

The writing seems dated and mannered today but I still recommend this book wholeheartedly for the discerning reader, and
Nathalie Nelson
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in learning about New Orleans and Carnival.
Recommended to Nathalie by: My good friend Audry Allenbach
Though I have lived in New Orleans off and on most of my life I learned more about how some of our families lived and more about Carnival and Carnival customs than I ever knew before. I was delighted with the book and have kept the original copy given to me in 1943 all these many years so that I could read it again and again.
Muriel Schwenck
Classic Keyes: a woman's only fulfillment in life is marriage, abundant childbirth, and the joy and satisfactions of being the chatelaine of a well run and contented household whether rich or humble.
Of course, this is seldom achieved without hard work, heartbreak or both. And that is the drama and suspense of her books. This novel is full of exhaustive detail on successive generations of women.
The men they love, win and lose. How they run their house, how they socialize and eat, and mostly surm
Janet
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Francis Parkinson Keyes has got to be one of my favorite (Homeschooled, Catholic) authors. She has written much about the American south and the southern way of life. I am always drawn deeply into her (complex) plots. The characters and I know each other well by the end of the book. The last page is always anticipated, longed for, yet once arrived, grieved.

I began Crescent Carnival as the season of Lent arrived. Set in New Orleans, the story spans several generations of southern families. The h
Julie
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
You have to be a fan of Keyes or a fan of New Orleans to wade through this tome that is over 700 pages long. I'm fans of both, so finished it. Her descriptions, while wordy, are right on target. Even 70 years after it was written, I could picture the places she was describing. The way she interweaves New Orleans/Louisiana traditions and foods into the plot is ingenious and sets the stage very well. As far as the plot, the girls are a little too over-the-top wonderful and people fall into love a ...more
Gail
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
At one time in my slightly mis-spent youth, I thought Mrs. Keyes was just a marvelous author, so intelligent, so cultured, etc. Of course, I was anywhere from 10 to 17 while I held these thoughts. Nevertheless, "Crescent Carnival" is a good read for those who enjoy old-fashioned family sagas with plenty of moralizing thrown in.
Andrea
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Liked it, but a little long-winded. Quite an epic story! And unfortunately I was confused with the form of the book, how it starts in 1935, but then goes back to 1890 and tells the rest of the story...
Rebecca
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-orleans
Definitely dated from the perspective of race and gender relations, but for me that just made this epic romance more accurate to its times. It's a sweeping saga across 3 generations of New Orleans creole society. A really lush, beautiful read. Too bad it's no longer in print.
Paula
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I read it many years ago. But it still stays in my thoughts. One of these days I'm going to re-read it and I can only hope I enjoy it as much as I did the first time around.
Michele bookloverforever
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
read in my teens. loved this author so much then...sweeping epics.
Marcia
I tired so hard to get into this book, and no luck. Totally not a fan.
Margareth8537
Enjoyed the escapism of this author.
Portia
1942 cover 1 1 Jan 13, 2013 09:12AM
  • Fairoaks
  • Night Jasmine
  • Louisiana Dawn
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • On Leaving Charleston