Start by marking “From My Mexican Kitchen: Techniques and Ingredients” as Want to Read:
From My Mexican Kitchen: Techniques and Ingredients

From My Mexican Kitchen: Techniques and Ingredients

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Diana Kennedy has been called the “ultimate authority, the high priestess” of Mexican cooking, and with good reason. For more than forty years she has traveled through her beloved adoptive country, researching and recording its truly extraordinary cuisine. Now Diana turns her attention to the book she readily admits “should have been written years ago.”

Diana’s objective in
Published September 9th 2003 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about From My Mexican Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From My Mexican Kitchen

Lindsey Duncan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an intriguing exploration of Mexican ingredients, techniques and recipes ... but I put those items in that particular order for a reason. While Kennedy's information is in-depth and filled with love for her subject, she writes in a fashion that so emphasizes the difficulty of getting perfect authenticity that it makes a reader despair of even starting. Certainly, for a midwesterner (even in a foodie area), it seems a hopeless task to create Mexican cuisine up to Kennedy's standards. ...more
Felisa Rosa
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
The greatest joy of the book is the author’s tangible love for food. She matches her acerbic tendencies with sparkling enthusiasm and a touching attention to detail. On aguacates criollos: “The flavor is incomparable: aniselike, nutty, and altogether delicious. Of course there are always exceptions, but it would be unlikely to find these avocados in markets outside Mexico because once ripe they spoil very quickly. But make sure you try them when you get there!” On tequelite: “This is a creeping ...more
Carole
Dec 18, 2011 is currently reading it
This book focuses on techniques and ingredients used in Mexican cooking. There are some recipes, but this is not overall a recipe book. I am fascinated by the information on how each ingredient is used differently depending on the region. I already knew that what most Americans think of as "Mexican" food is nothing like real Mexican cuisine, but the incredible diversity of the cuisine was not something I had completely realized. It's truly something a person could study for a lifetime.
Joel
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A skills book and an ingredient encyclopedia WITH pictures. As many mention, the focus is technique and skills rather than laden with recipes. But that is what I love about this book.
Karla
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, cookbooks
Growing up near the US/Mexico border and later working in Mexico for a couple of years, I fell in love with the food. This is a fantastic reference for authentic Mexican cooking!
Hannah
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
this is a most informative book on ingredients for a gringa .. the book serves more of a visual reference than anything else as very few recipes are included.
George
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
If you want to learn how to cook Mexican food. This is a great resource. There are not many recipes, bit it teaches you of the skills you need for recipes you might find in other books.
Daveya