Start by marking “The Annotated Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Annotated Sherlock Holmes

The Annotated Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

4.58  ·  Rating Details ·  9,484 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
2 Volumes. The complete texts of the four novels and fifty-six short stories that made the legendary detective famous are accompanied by an introduction, notes, maps, diagrams, coats-of-arms, photographs, and drawings in this oversized edition--an indispensable possession for all mystery fans.
Published December 12th 1988 by Clarkson Potter (first published 1967)

Res
Jul 11, 2011 Res rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Well, I slogged through the whole thing, but I have to say that there must be a better annotation than this available.

First: In what universe do you translate "tete a tete" and not "acushla"?!

Second: If a sum of money is mentioned, it's less than helpful to tell me it was "about $12.50 American at that time." What about how much it's worth today? Or, if you're worried about inflation rendering your footnotes less useful, how about how many hours of a laborer's wage that is, or how many gallons o
Lynda
Nov 09, 2011 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
No one has ever topped Sherlock Holmes for me. All of the extra material in these books is wonderful. This is the 3rd complete SH anthology I have owned. I bought the second one for the illustrations and this one for the annotations.
Spudsie
Aug 31, 2008 Spudsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Sherlock Holmes fanatic!
Recommended to Spudsie by: my Dad
I love all things Sherlock Holmes.

This annootated set is simply amazing. I'm so impressed with it that I own TWO sets of them. That's a lot of shelf space to devote to the same book. LOL!

I started reading Sherlock Holmes stories when I was in 5th grade based on my dad suggestion. Now my dad doesn't read much fiction so for him to reccomend something is pretty rare.

Since I started reading Holmesat a fairly impressionable age I feel like I grew up with him. It's kinda strange--and yet neat at the
Elly
May 13, 2008 Elly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: big old geeks!
I swear I have come by all the most amazing books at the Goodwill. This one might be the coolest, too. I bought these volumes for 75 cents each ten years ago because they looked cool, and am still picking them up when I can't sleep or have the flu or need a good story.

We got some Sherlock Holmes audio books for a road trip a couple of years ago, and while they were a lot of fun, it's really not the same for me to hear these stories without the long digressions about someone's profound research
Tim
Sep 11, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The actual Sherlock Holmes stories are great fun. Give them five stars. But I was quite disappointed with the annotations. Something like 80% of them are all about the game of pretending that Sherlock Holmes and Watson actually lived and Watson disguised the people and places in the stories. So there are endless notes about what day of the week this took place on so it must have been this particular year, when you take into account the actual train schedule for that year ... It's all very tireso ...more
Dewey Norton
Jul 22, 2009 Dewey Norton rated it it was amazing
The complete 56 short stories and 4 novels about Holmes, along with excellent annotation and explanatory esssays about Dr. Bell and other relevant topics. Although it took me several weeks to read all of both volumes, this was a task I turned to with great excitement every night after the boys were asleep.
Courtney
1) "I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere Since You Became His Chronicler"
2) "He Is Now Translating My Small Works into French"
3) "I...Have Even Contributed to the Literature of the Subject"
4) "You Would Have Made an Actor, and a Rare One"
5) "Your Pictures Are Not Unlike You, Sir, If I May Say So"
6) "A Singular Set of People, Watson..."
7) "Your Merits Should Be Publicly Recognized"
8) "The Best and the Wisest Man Whom I Have Ever Known"
9) "Good Old Watson!"
10) "He Is the Napoleon of Crime, Watson"
11) "I
Ron Ecklebarger
Feb 27, 2016 Ron Ecklebarger rated it it was amazing
"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...." -Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four

That is my favorite Sherlock Holmes quote, and it is quite a famous one. This review is not of one book or even a trilogy of books, but rather an entire body of work. Between 1886 and 1927, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote 4 novels and 56 short stories featuring the iconic detective Sherlock Holmes. Since that time, Holmes has appeared in dozens of other b
Larry Edwards
Aug 08, 2010 Larry Edwards rated it it was amazing
I have always been a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathbone. As a teen, I couldn't get enough of them. Once I was out of school and in the military, I had very little time to read or space to keep a set of books. That all changed when I got married and settled down. When our daughter was born, we spent more time at home. That's when I became interested in reading. My wife reads all the time. So, when the baby was asleep, I grabbed this encyclopediaesque reference book on t ...more
Elenoremari
Jan 14, 2015 Elenoremari added it
Shelves: ap-english
Sherlock Holmes is about using one's wits to discover the truth.

I really love any classic murder mystery, so to me, Sherlock Holmes is the holy grail. The only reason why it is so low on my list is because I actually have only read one of the actual stories and I am ashamed of that. Especially so because I seen almost every decent Sherlock Holmes movie and read everything about Doyle that I could get my hands on and I really should have dedicated more time to reading the books by now. The one I
Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson
Jul 13, 2013 Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love this book or rather books as it is a two volume set. I got it as a Christmas present many years ago and it is one of my all time favorites. It's beautifully done with tons of extra information about the stories and the author and filled with the exquisite illustrations from the original stories in the Strand. I have used it as a reference many times over the years and especially during the perfectly executed TV series starring Jeremy Brett. For me this is Christmas personified--Victorian, ...more
Jen
Dec 31, 2007 Jen rated it it was amazing
I'd only read a few Sherlock Holmes stories before my godmother gave me this in two volumes. They are all the short stories and novels in estimated chronological order of when they took place. The stories are classics and just as hard to figure out now as I'm sure they were back when they originally were published. Also, this edition has notes and essays about the time period and what influenced Arthur Conan Doyle. Some of these are distracting and occasionally irrelevant when taking the stories ...more
Elaine
Feb 01, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-fifty
I never knew there were so many 'Holmesites'. They are every bit as ardent as Janeites, and Holmes is not even a real person! There are newer annotated versions, but this one is the best. I not only gained a new appreciation for readers who really get into a work of literature, but I enjoyed the stories immensely. I first read the two large volumes borrowed from the library, but I eventually bought my own copy.
Josephine
Jul 22, 2016 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy-used
I have some doubts about Baring-Gould's interpretations of the Holmes stories--just to be absolutely clear, there are several schools of thought about the stories even among Holmes aficionados, not to mention the fact that, gee, the books were published forty years ago, after Baring-Gould'd death.

Honestly, has anyone come up with an annotated version as extensive as this? (no, really. I'd like to know.)

Amia BooMaster
Jul 23, 2016 Amia BooMaster rated it liked it
The fact that this is the complete collection is great but the main feature here is the annotations and how does that hold up?

Well half of it is background info that either does or doesn't add much to the original stories. The other half of the annotations are quotes from random people or fan theories.

While this may interest some, most of the relevant info an be found elsewhere including the stories themselves...for free. 3/5
Rick Thomas
Jul 12, 2013 Rick Thomas rated it really liked it
This two book, hard bound, and thoroughly annotated version contains the four novels and fifty-six short stories. Beautifully illustrated with art from a multitude of publications, this is my favorite collection of Sherlock Holmes.
I read it for me, then read the stories to Seanie and Chris. I will probably read some of the stories from this book to Ari and Dorian as well.
Shelly
Jul 15, 2011 Shelly rated it it was amazing
For me this will always be the definitive text. Conan Doyle's stories and novels are accompanied by footnotes, detailing everything from what a gasgogene was to how much a pound was worth in US dollars at the time to what date Baring-Gould and his fellow Sherlockians assign to the story (because we are pretending these were all actual events and that Holmes & Watson were real).
Susan
Oct 03, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, classics
I actually did one volume of this last year and finished the 2nd this past week. I think there are many things about the annotations which are inadequate but I still love these volumes and enjoy the background information they provide on all the stories. I think nearly any Sherlockian will enjoy reading this!
Darlene
Aug 15, 2012 Darlene rated it really liked it
These stories are timeless. These annotations... not so much. Baring-Gould played the game with gusto. Klinger's annotations are less dense, perhaps, but closer to useful literary critical thought. Baring-Gould's edition is a classic; Leslie Klinger's is probably a more sensible choice for the casually curious.
Aldean
Sep 10, 2008 Aldean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: true and serious Holmes fans
Oh, what a treasure trove these two volumes are for the avid fan of Sherlock Holmes, his faithful chronicler Dr. Watson, and their intrepid advocate Sir Artur Conan Doyle. An astonishing work of erudite intensity, and absolutely the cornerstone of any serious Holmes fans library, as it most certainly is of mine.
George
Feb 21, 2010 George rated it it was amazing
After you have read all of the Sherlock Holme's stories, read the annotated version. The annotations add immensely to understanding and creating the atmosphere of the time period. Plus there is additional history of the times, people, and places. I understood what was happening in the stories much better after reading the annotations.
Keith Cook
Feb 21, 2010 Keith Cook rated it it was amazing
Reading the canon with insight from above is always helpful. Seriously - for the stressed out and hectic lifestyle most lead revisiting the old mysteries can almost be like a medicine. To be able to read a mystery without political undertones or political correctness is still fun.
Betsy Curlin
Mar 05, 2014 Betsy Curlin rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read for the Sherlock Holmes enthusiast. Aside from the collection of short stories and novels, there are many anecdotes, references, pictures and notes regarding the influences, possible locations, and persons that are speculated to have connections to the stories.
Jumper
Dec 04, 2015 Jumper rated it really liked it
Excellent reference for any Sherlock fan.

The only drawback is sometimes the info provided spoils the fun of the story ("such-and-such scholar says that couldn't have happened!"). But the pictures, maps, and background information lead to a fuller Sherlock experience.
Dottie
Nov 01, 2008 Dottie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001-read, 1967-1997, own
Love my Sherlock stories. Then purchased the two volume annotated Holmes and go revisit one or another of the tales semi-regularly for a long while. Alas, it has been a while -- but what I really love is all the inside info on details surrounding the works. What fun.
Nelda
Mar 18, 2013 Nelda rated it liked it
These annotated versions of classics are definitely not for everyone. They should be useful to the Sherlockian scholars. I am afraid that all the detail doesn't add to my enjoyment of the stories. Fortunately, the unannotated versions are still just as enjoyable as always.
Gretchen
Apr 15, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Finished Vol 1 only. Taking a break before tackling Vol 2 (hey, I've read these several times before). This is a really great way to read the stories--illustrations, footnotes, maps, photos, everything you've ever wanted to know about Sherlock Holmes.
Andrew
Jan 16, 2013 Andrew added it
A very nice read easy to follow and good story telling any age would enjoy reading secret book to read and enjoy timeless will written and told. This is why it is a classic hope you find the review helpful.
Phyllis
Oct 17, 2011 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite collection of Holmes/Holmesiana. My 2 volume set is aged and worn, and there is no better recreation of a cold winter's evening than to curl up in my comfy chair with these volumes by my side.
Skipper
Nov 19, 2008 Skipper rated it it was amazing
William Baring-Gould did a masterful job of annotating the "canon" of Sherlock Holmes' stories, with plenty of illustrations from the Strand and other sources. There is plenty of supplemental material to linger over with every tale of mystery.
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Paperback))
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Sherlock Holmes: El sabueso de los Baskerville; Reaparece Sherlock Holmes; Sherlock Holmes no ha muerto (Sherlock Holmes, #5, 6)