Start by marking “The Day Before” as Want to Read:
The Day Before

The Day Before

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  6,575 Ratings  ·  731 Reviews
One moment can change everything.

Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a
Published June 28th 2011 by Simon Pulse

Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
*sigh*

Some books are meant to be thought-provoking

Some are meant to steer up emotions

Some are just meant to be entertaining

And some, like this one,

are meant to make you smile, and appreciate.

If you've read Lisa's books,

you know what I'm talking about.

She always creates real characters,

Facing difficult moments

Beautiful stories, written in verse.

So this book is about the important things in life

The things that really count

The moments that take your breath away

The things you love

that make
Anne
5 M*A*G*I*C*A*L stars

I don't know how, I don't know why I picked up this book. All I know is after I put it down, I smiled, so widely.

My emotions are on a bungee string. Up, down. Up, down.
➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Sometimes all it takes for your whole world to turn around, turn upside down, is a few minutes, sometimes it's a few hours, sometimes a few days, gears can change so suddenly, unexpectedly. And other times events span over a day shaping the future that's ahead of us, giving and taking from us. Tha
Lisa
Aug 19, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A novel for young adults about a girl named Amber and a boy named Cade and the 24 hours they spend together at the beach before their lives are turned upside-down.
Cara
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story (at least to me) felt like reading a beautiful long quote that captured a special moment of someone’s life. The writing flows effortlessly. I always say this but if you think you don't like books written in verse you have to read one by Lisa Schroeder.

In the beginning of the book we are presented to Amber who is planning a whole day to herself, before the dreaded next day in which her life will never be the same. We don't know what is hanging over Amber's head, but as the reader you c
Emily May
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance, 2011, arc

Wow, this book really affected me, I'm kind of reeling from it at the moment and I owe a huge thanks to Jasprit who sent me the galleygrab newsletter for this. To be honest, if it wasn't a galleygrab freebie I doubt I would have ever read this beautiful, moving novel.

I was surprised to find it written in verse, my experience (generally centred around the novels of Ellen Hopkins) is that this can do wonders for a novel or send it sprawling flat on it's face. In this case, it worked so so
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Funny, two hours ago I was ready to go to the bed, and I just wanted some book to read few pages before I fall asleep! It looks like this book had other plans for me. Here I'm. Two hours later, and I can say this book took my breath away! I always thought that I don't like the books written in verse, but I was wrong. Words feel somehow more powerful in verse, and then whole story does too. One more thing while i was reading this book this lyrics was stacked in my head, so I'll share it:
" If I l
Jasprit
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars)

I don’t really have the words to describe what I felt about The day before, other than it was simply beautiful.

Fate brings Amber and Cade to meet at the aquarium; both characters are dealing with their own problems and just want a day to escape from them. However what starts off as a chance meeting ends up providing an unforgettable day for both, the day before their lives will significantly change.

The day before was written in verse, this was a first for me and I thought that I woul
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: Cara's Review inspired me to pick this one up!

Books written in verse have always scared me. I created this painful, flowery image of the format for some reason. But messing with the traditional story telling way is one of my favorite things to see and come across in this world. Soooo….I had to give this style a chance. I am so happy I did! I can’t believe my heart almost missed this experience.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder is truly a warm, beautiful reading experience that pulled me right in. The style and words had my attention with one
Liv (Оља)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Day Before is fast, entertaining and intriguing. It reads in less than two hours, but it somehow stays with the reader afterwards and here's why: most of all, this book is warm, sweet and completely hopeful.

While it certainly has it's flaws, I found it completely worth the time you spend on it and the story you get. The originality behind the characters was just so refreshing and Lisa Schroeder did a great job with making them quirky, but also not overdoing it too much.

My main pr
Emerald
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-poetry
“Oftentimes
Princess Bookie
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: Another awesome book by Schroeder! We are introduced to Amber who needs to just have one day by herself. She has a new problem in her personal life and she has trouble dealing with it. She just doesn't think its fair. She goes to the beach and meets Cade. Cade is also having a day by himself as well. Honestly, I don't want to give any spoilers as to why they are both spending a day by themselves because when its revealed, it really makes you think hard and makes you tear up. Its bet ...more
Tracey
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, teen
Teen fiction; poetry novella (romance). Personally I don't care for these novels written in verse (poetry is very hard to do well, and a whole novel of mediocre poetry quickly gets tiresome), though they can be more easily devoured by reluctant readers--I'd probably still give them something from Ellen Hopkins instead though, as this title has much less action/drama. But I did skim ahead to find out what was the deal with these two kids, whose lives will apparently be forever changed on the morr ...more
Ceilidh
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have never read a YA book written in verse before so this was a first for me. I tend to be biased towards prose and drama in my English lit studies as well but I thought it would be interesting to give this one a go to see if the choice of medium would be suitable to tell a story and how affecting it would be.

To be completely honest, I didn’t really connect to this book. The choice of verse to tell Amber’s story wasn’t completely successful in my opinion, although there are a few moments wher
Tina
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: verse
Original post at One More Page

This is a book
written in verse.
My second one.
And I thought
it would be a nice writing exercise
to write a review the same way.

The Day Before was about a girl named Amber
who seemed to have ran away to the beach
to spend one day for herself.
The circumstances were mysterious,
and I was kept in the dark
for most of the time.
Amber meets Cade.
There was attraction.
But there was something about Cade
that disturbed Amber.
Like he had a dark secret.
Amber didn't want to destroy t
Morgan F
Verse novels are really tricky for me. Either I think them beautiful and haunting (Glimpse and Sold), or gimmicky. This one kind of straddled the middle.

I was so routing for Amber in the beginning. The writing was beautiful, and her backstory was revealed slowly and delicately. Interspersing Amber's musings on the "day before", were notes and letters from her family that allow the reader to examine Amber's situation.

I even liked Cade in the beginning too, when he was just a cute, mysterious bo
Melinda
Jun 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wall-of-shame
Once, in the ninth grade
Our assignment
was
to create a collage
out of
old magazines.
Lois cut out the words,
"and then I dreamed...."
and left her poster board

blank

except for those words.

Genius, really.
While her project looked
very creative and artsy,
she could now spend her time

doing her nails

writing notes to her boyfriend

chewing gum
while the rest of us
worked.

BUT Mr. Pickett
saw through it!
He said "this is not art".
He wanted C*O*N*T*E*N*T.

This book is like that.
Weak stor
♥Kel
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: was-good
I thought this book was so good. This is the 1st book i ever read where the characters only knew each other for a couple of hours and fall in love. Even though this book was short, i read it in 2 days, it was detailed and i felt like i was feeling the character's emotions and thoughts and feelings. It was beautifully written, and i absolutely loved it.
Eileen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My heart is stil swooning!
This book
is so beautifully
written.

I absolutely adored it, everything about it: The plot (simple, yet cute) and the writing style (simply beautiful).
I SO recommend this book - especially to everyone who likes books written in verses -
it's tragic,

This day
is like the best
of both kinds
of books.

I could say the same for Lisa Schroeder's beautiful, moving novel in vers
Cass -  Words on Paper
4.5/5 (4/5 or 4.5/5?)

Powerful and beautiful, raw and heartfelt. This book reads like a dream.

Told in verse, THE DAY BEFORE is about two teenagers who by some twist of fate, meet on the day before the end of their lives. Both seek refuge at the beach, and they are JUST what the other needs, just for today...

What I usually have problems with with verse novels is connecting with characters. But considering there are, essentially, only two characters of focus throughout the whole book, it was very e
Lena ♫ ♪
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-release
7 days. That's how long I had to read The Day Before before I sent it off to the next person. 1 day. That's how long it took me to read it. Really, it's THAT good. I had to know what happened next! Then, due to a crazy random winter storm in Houston, I ended up keeping the book a little bit longer. What did I do? Reread it of course, only this time, slowly. I enjoyed Lisa's beautiful, poetic writing and felt the emotions behind the words. I actually got teary-eyed a few times.

This story is about
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just one day. That's what two teens need is one day to forget their current dilemma at the moment while at the beach.

After the books I read recently, its nice to read one that makes you forgot what you read last.

This one was really good, has its adorable moments, jelly beans, guess the movie between the two which I liked, and closure. Oh and let's add character development to the mix.

A quick verse read but still good if you're looking for a summer read.
Simcsa
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-in-verse
Just an example.. I had to share it, it's so true.

"Many times
I don’t want it

when it’s over."
Bells
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
can i just say i loved this book with all my heart?
it was awesome. so authentic. the way its written. the style of the author that i absolutely loved. it made me felt so much.
Aleeeeeza
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I first heard, about a year or so ago, that there were whole novels written in verse, my reaction: Say whaaat? They’re probably just written in ways that make them read like poems. Yeah, that’s it.

Then I read some Ellen Hopkins’ books samples on Amazon and found out that yep, WHOLE novels, every single word of the book, were written through poems—or more accurately, verse.

Color me utterly flabbergasted.

So the idiot that I am, I was convinced I’d hate those sort of books, mainly due to the f
Devyani

I will
try to embrace
this day

the day before.”

this verse is just so pretty and such a treat to the eyes as well as the ears :)

The Day Before written by Lisa Schroeder is a beauty in each and every , not only is the plot unique but th
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have you ever read a few books by a certain author and decided the authors writing style and work just wasn't for you? Well, The Day Before is one of those books where I am glad I didn't give up on the author. Lisa Schroeders word isn't bad by any means. I just didn't connect to most of her characters and her books seemed very plain.

This book was full of such raw emotion that it is hard to NOT like it. It is told in the span of one day, pretty much, and in this one day the two main characters g
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Hrm. Perhaps with this book what I will do is start of with what I liked about the book. I hate having to give negative reviews, and I am not entirely negative about this book. Simply put there was aspects I loved about it, and aspects I really didn't like and didn't connect with. But I am going to be as fair and constructive as possible.

There is absolute no dispute that Lisa Schroeder is a wonderful writer. I will admit I don't like prose and I don't have a lot of time for poetry. But she won m
Faye
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I’ve always loved Schroeder’s writing. If you’ve read her book’s you know how beautiful it is. It’s written in verse but it has so much emotional impact on the characters part.

The characters are so full of emotion, in the beginning I was trying to figure out exactly what was going on with Amber. We get little glimpse of it from the letters her birth parents send. Amber is put in a tough spot dealing with her real parents (the ones who raised her) and her birth parents fighting for custody. Ambe
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is so heart wrenching. At first when I began to read it, I was confused. You were immediately dumped into the characters shoes, feeling hostile. As I kept reading, Ms. Schroeder began to unravel secrets little by little, making me finish this book in a mer amount of hours. I simply adore it!

The plot is simply fantastic! At times, I do get disappointed when the reader is dumped in the middle of what the character is going through and you have to read more and more to figure out what is
  • Audition
  • Exposed
  • But I Love Him
  • Other Words for Love
  • Family
Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than twenty books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is ALL WE HAVE IS NOW, and the latest novel for 8-12 year olds is KEYS TO THE CITY, both with Scholastic. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.

twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder
facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroede
More about Lisa Schroeder...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • I Was Here
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Oftentimes

when it's over.”
175 likes
“I get it. Sometimes you want to remember. And sometimes you need to forget.” 119 likes