Start by marking “Realm Of Shadows (Alliance Vampires #4)” as Want to Read:
Realm Of Shadows (Alliance Vampires #4)

Realm Of Shadows (Alliance Vampires #4)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,144 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When an ancient tomb is uncovered in Paris, something goes horribly wrong. For American visitor Tara Mason, the romantic city of her dreams suddenly turns sinister. At the country estate where she seeks refuge, a shadowy man calls himself a guardian. He is sworn to protect the innocent--including Tara--from the evil that won't stop until it claims her, body and soul.
Published October 1st 2002 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Realm Of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realm Of Shadows

Feb 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
[Spoilers] Shannon Drake has added another element to her vampire series: The Alliance. This is apparently a combination vampire slayer/watcher organization that’s been around since the beginning of time. Our newest heroine, Tara, is the genetic inheritor of her family’s membership in this alliance. However, this does not make her as cool as Buffy. She’s got the dreams about vampires, but no super-powers, although she might be a little better at killing them than the average human. She’s also go ...more
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Still not as great-great as the first two in the series, but great-good. I thought Tara to be a strong female character, who knew her own strength and still pushed on. I thought it was planned out, and you never really know who the 'bad guy' is, but you still manage to figure it out by the end. What I like is the ties from the past to the present and what it means for the characters.
Trudy Whatnot Books
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wnbooks-com
I enjoyed this book throughly.
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
April Sarah
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have re-read this book and I found it as wonderful a read as the first time around. It is a great read when it is pooring outside and the only light in the room is a small reading lamp.
Elaina Evans
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Slow start but killer ending!! Ready to start the next one tomorrow night!
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It actually scared the crap out out of me. Which is funny because. I have read much scarey books. I thin it was the suspense.
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed every book that is in this series, I have 2 more to go and I'll have it finished.
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and I loved it! The story was exciting and I was totally drawn into it.
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
read 11.20.06
read 06.30.07
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Dark Fantasy
Jenna Storm
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Once again, Shannon Drake transports me to another place with her writing.
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
I had a strong suspicion I was picking up a part of a series when I saw this book, but decided to read it anyway, hoping I wouldn't be too lost. I was correct on both counts - turns out "Realm of Shadows" is book four in Shannon Drake's Alliance Vampires series, and for those like me who hadn't read any of the other books, there wasn't an overabundance of allusions to past events/people so the novice can jump right in.

As to the story itself, it was mildly interesting, but nothing a veteran of pa
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was okay. I enjoyed it, but I can't say I loved it.

I picked this up for $3 at a used bookstore, so I'm not complaining at all. It has some interesting aspects, such as being set in Paris and area.

The characters were fine, although none of them really grabbed hold of me and drew me in or connected to me.

The action was good, as was the pacing, with some very evil villains.

The romance in this fell totally flat for me. I just didn't buy that these two people fell for each other as quickly, and
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
God I couldn't finish this one. The writing was horrible! It just didn't make sense. It felt like a mental patient wrote this book. Just a bunch of rambling. I laughed when I read someone's comment "this is after all a very gifted author we are talking about". Seriously?

I absolutely hated the heroine. She seemed like too much of a Debby Do Right to me. Her hatred of the hero was over the top. He was nothing but kind to her and she did keep mentioning to herself that he was not the murderer. So
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Realm of Shadows
(Vampire Saga Book #4)
by Shannon Drake (aka Heather Graham)

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Every Nightmare Has Its Beginning

In an ancient churchyard just outside Paris, archeologists uncover an ancient tomb certain they have stumbled onto the find of the century. But something goes very wrong as the tomb is opened. Something too frightening to imagine...and too terrible to utter.

For American visitor Tara Mason, the romantic city of her dreams has suddenly turned sinister. For she has
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heather-graham
This book turned out to be part four of six of the 'Alliance Vampires' series and one of the earlier works of Heather Graham. It shows.
White the writing itself is as competent as always - this is after all a very gifted author we are talking about - the characters are fleshed out and the locations described to make the reader feel s/he is actually there. However, he way the story was laid out is somewhat disconcerting. Let me explain what I mean by that.
There are quite a number of people involve
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Traveling back to a little town outside of Paris to visit her grandfather, Tara just did not know what she was getting in to. She did not believe her grandfathers fantastic stories of vampires but when a murder takes places and strange things start happening she has to quickly figure out just who she can trust. She might just have to rely on one of the creatures of the night.

The detective was quick to give up information about the five other missing people.

Tara is extremely stubborn when she g
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was difficult to read. There were a lot of times where the author would just go on about a character in a flashback and only refer to them as he or she. Sometimes it wasn't obvious that it was a flashback and this just served to confuse the situation even more. For the first third of the book I thought there were twice as many character as there really were. Another thing that I found irritating was the way the author kept using... Yeah, ellipses. They were everywhere! On just 2 pages ...more
Steph Moyer
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Damnit, once again I picked up in the middle of a series. It wasn't too bad though. Characters from previous books showed up, hinted at previous stories that have happened. But didn't pull away from the book or leave me confused.
The plot was good, killer vampire lady gets dug up, starts killing people, a group of people are going to stop her. I didn't yell at any of the characters for being stupid. And I didn't want to throw the book across the room when I finished reading it because it pissed m
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france
Due to her French grandfather Jacque's insistence, American visitor Tara Adair is investigating the progress of an archeological dig in a small village outside of Paris. Jacque is certain that an old evil is soon to be unleashed when an ancient tomb is discovered onsite. Tara does not believe in such nonsense, but when one of the workers is murdered in a most gruesome way, Tara may have to start listening to her grandfather's talk of an old Alliance and vicious predators of the night.
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
3 & 1/2 stars. Shannon Drake's ability to transport me to a different time and place is what makes her books appealing. She has a way of making a book's setting come alive. I'm looking forward to reading the fifth book in the series because it's set in Salem, MA- a place I've always wanted to visit.
T.M. Carper
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Basically everyone except Sean and Maggie appear in this Paris-set book. This time, there is no vampire-human romance.... There are wolves.

Resistant to the idea of vampires and the Alliance, Tara almost makes herself easy prey for the two older vampires. The final showdown is thrilling.
mary rose vouers
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One journey from WWII time to now to stop an evil incarnate, another coming of age as the newest member of the Alliance. A must read for fans of this genre. Full of mystery & romance.
Serra Zander
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Meh. Vampire, werewolves, hot chicks... The overall story was boring and the dialogue was weird. Nothing special to write home about. Not going to lie, I didn't finish it, it was predictable and boring.
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tara returns to Paris to visit her ailing Grandfather and cousin and is drawn into an alliance where the innocents are protected from evil vampires. Will Tara be turned or will her guardian protect her ?
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book underwhelming. There were parts where I wanted to keep reading to find out who was good/evil, but by the end, I had to push myself to finish. Not one of my favorites...not sure if I will read any other in the series...
June B Black
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realm of Shadows

The story is light reading. The plot is not one of the author's best. There were no warnings of breaks between the past and present which made it hard to follow the storyline. There was no flow from one event to another. Not one of Heather Graham's best works.
Wendy Brandt
Liked this book a lot! The story line was good and moved along nicely and I really liked the characters.
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I hated this book. Boring, boring not even the fact that it was vampires did I like it. I will remember not to read her series again.
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Be Mine Forever (Forever Vampires #3)
  • Midnight Embrace
  • Sea Lord (Children of the Sea, #3)
Heather Graham Pozzessere
aka Heather Graham, Shannon Drake

Heather Graham was born on March 15, 1953 and grew up in Dade County, Florida, and attended the University of South Florida at Tampa, majoring in theater arts and touring Europe and parts of Asia and Africa as part of her studies. After college, she acted in dinner theaters, modeled, waitressed, and tended bar. She married Hershey Dennis Po
More about Shannon Drake...

Alliance Vampires (8 books)
  • Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Alliance Vampires #1)
  • When Darkness Falls (Alliance Vampires #2)
  • Deep Midnight (Alliance Vampires #3)
  • The Awakening (Alliance Vampires #5)
  • Dead By Dusk (Alliance Vampires #6)
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Blood Red  (Alliance Vampires, #8)