Start by marking “Bait” as Want to Read:
Bait

Bait

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  4,906 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Blazing romance and page-turning suspense - a hot holiday read from a NEW YORK TIMES bestseller It's a business trip that takes advertising agency owner Maddie Fitzgerald to New Orleans, but it is hardly business as usual when a man breaks into her hotel room and tries to kill her. Barely escaping with her life, she soon finds herself face-to-face with FBI agent Sam McCabe ...more
Published July 4th 2005 by Hodder Paperback (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bait

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆
One word: Fail.

Honestly, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

As usual, a whiny, needy, old-school-stupid heroine ruined a solid 4-star read. Or was it the lame plot in the second half?

Let’s see…

>>>>>>>>>> MILD SPOILERS <<<<<<<<<<

The heroine was forced to work for the mob seven years ago. She was arrested and charged with being an accessory to first-degree murder as well as with money laundering and racketeering. But she never went to
Sabrina
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I have to make peace with the fact that romantic suspense is not for me. I don't like to generalize, but most of what I've read so far managed to be bad on both the romantic and the suspenseful sides: the romance is usually formulaic and insipid, and the detective plot is unsubstantial and unsatisfactory.
This book fitted perfectly that mold.

What I especially didn't like:
— the damsel-in-distress kind of heroine (she trembles, she shivers, she faints, she has to be carried around);
— the un
Linda C
Maddie Fitzgerald barely escapes being killed in her hotel room on a business trip to New Orleans. She hopes it was a random act and can get back to her life. Sam McCabe, FBI, thinks otherwise. To him she is the latest in a string of professional hits throughout the South being carried out by a serial killer leaving clues. So far they have been one step behind 9 murders. He thinks the killer will be back, thinking she might be able to identify him. He wants her under guard. Maddie has secrets th ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Karen Robards is hit or miss for me. I've read a few of her books that were quite good and others, like this one, that were just fair. The theme/plot itself appealed to me but the execution didn't work as well as I'd have liked.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute story dragged alot for me. I found myself skimming alot. If you like suspense this book is for you. If your looking for suspense involved with romance don't read it. The romance began towards the end and never really got steamy for me.
Linda C
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
I thought this book was horrible. However, to be fair, I didn't realize that it was "romantic suspense", which saved it from being a one star. I found the audio version on-line through my local library and downloaded it to my ipod. Based upon the brief review that the library network provided, the book sounded like a crime suspense novel focusing on the FBI's hunt for a serial killer crisscrossing the country taunting the agents with clues to the next victim.

So the story had such a good foundati
Christine
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this suspenseful story and the interesting characters. Maddie has a near death experience and just wants to brush it under the rug, until Sam McCabe from the FBI enters the picture and wants to know all about it. With a past she wants to forget Maddie tries to get Sam out of her life but it seems a killer has other plans, for the both of them.
Yes! New author for me!

I really enjoyed this. Lots of action -- check. Heroine who was not tstl and in fact did stuff for herself -- check. Actual chemistry between leading characters -- check. Sure, there were a few plot holes and too-cute devices, but the pace of the story made this a very fun read.

For fans of Someone Like You.
Applefruit
Dec 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is the most boring book I've ever read. The main character, Maddie, is extremely annoying. The "hero" Sam is yawn-worthy and inept as an FBI agent. Please, pass on this snooze-fest!
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIO & EBOOK; JULY 3, 2014: 3.8 stars
Narrator: Joyce Bean

I had put off reading this for years as I hadn't liked Robards' books that were written in the last ten years, apart from a few. I was, therefore, pleasantly surprised that this didn't end up a DNF, especially when the reviews haven't exactly been glowing.

The Story: The book starts off with a burst of action/suspense when Maddie escapes an attempted murder. It sagged somewhat after this despite my enjoying every scene that i
Christy
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Maddie Fitzgerald, owner of a small advertising agency in St. Louis, travels to New Orleans in hopes of snaring a large account to save her struggling company. While there, a man breaks into her hotel room and tries to kill her but Maddie manages to escape. Only to be followed by FBI agents, headed by Special Agent Sam McCabe, who's tracking a serial killer and thinks Maddie is his next victim. Maddie does not trust the FBI and refuses their offer of protection, but when someone shoots at her in ...more
Sassafrass
*3.5 Stars*

I thought this was good. granted I think I liked it more because I listened to it on audio instead of reading it. When listening on audio I'm able to zone out a little bit when stuff gets boring. I think that the author spent too much time trying to lead us on about Maddie's past. I think more could have been done with letting us in on the secret much sooner.

The killer was whack! the whole reveal was so crazy. I felt a little let down with that.

Zelda the dog was my favorite character
Vettech
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very good romantic suspense read. The main characters Maddie & Sam made for an interesting couple. At first they were like oil & water...then you could see the way they gave each other "the look", and so did everyone else. There was no hiding the attraction between them. I felt so sorry for Maddie, all the crap she had been through in her life and the terror she was experiencing in real time as well.

The love scenes between Maddie & Sam were hot and steamy to say the least.
Erica
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Maddie has just been attacked by a man in her hotel room. Sam is the FBI agent who is investigating the attacks. She is not the only victim.

During the investigation Sam figures he could use Maddie as his bait to catch the attacker. Sam falls for Maddie, but resists getting close to her. Eventually he does get involved with her only later finding out that there is more to Maddie then meets the eye. Sam's team has run the fingerprints in the hotel room hoping to find the attacker and the only set
Susannah Carleton
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting characters, and a complex plot, but not, in my opinion, Ms. Robards's best book. The characters, particularly the "good guys and gals," are well-developed, but the villain is not--he's one-dimensional.

The heroine is a strong woman, who has a lot of baggage, but has overcome her past and made a success of her life. The hero, an FBI special agent, has a traditional background, little or no baggage, and a fiercely strong work ethic. Their romance develops slowly, but surely, despite his
Pat Kidd
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 rating.
Not my genre (romantic suspense), it was a gift from a friend (thank you Gina!) - I do not care to read pages and pages of description of the male chest. This story did have a surprising twist at the end that should intrigue the author's many fans.
Jill Ranella
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Way too far fetched, couldn't do it any longer!
Plum-crazy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like romantic suspense then you'll love this! When Maddie survives an attack on her life the FBI get involved - the trouble is, Maddie has a secret past which she doesn't want them to discover. FBI agent McCabe is determined to keep Maddie safe, whether she likes it or not. Needless to say they're both wildly attracted to each other...

A good storyline with likeable characters (McCabe could almost be a rival for Morelli) The only criticism I have, which stopped it getting 5 stars, were the
Felicia
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Attorney Maddie Fitzgerald survives when a hired killer attacks her in her hotel room by stabbing him in the leg with a pencil. FBI agent Sam McCabe informs her that she apparently has been mistaken for another woman of the same name who was also staying at the hotel that night. Shaken, she returns home to St. Louis, only to be attacked again. Now Sam asks her to act as bait to help him capture the man who has evaded his grasp for years. Their unexpected romance throws McCabe off his stride--and ...more
Stacey Blanton
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was reading for a book club. It sounded like a pretty good book, though I had reservations about it since I am not a fan of romances. But I talked with others in the club that were reading it and they said that it was pretty good so I went ahead and got it. It was OK. There was a little too much harlequin for me, and I thought it was very predictable. But I did like the characters and would love to see them developed in a better story. If you like romance, and a little bit of suspense, ...more
Carly Kirk
This was a good, solid romantic suspense/thriller. I enjoyed it, there were some interesting twists and I really liked how strong Jay, the female lead, is - she pulled herself up out of a lot of horrible life situations. I don't think I'll be rereading this book, but it is definitely worth reading and I plan on checking out more of Karen Robards' work.
Darrah Young
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
This book is amazing! The mixture of romance and murder mystery create an incredible plot. With the love, hate relationship between Maddie and Sam beginning to effect the investigation, Sam has difficult choices to make. In my opinion, this book holds the perfect amount of romantic love and action. I recommend this novel to all teenage girls and women.
Thomas Devine
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Robards' descriptive abilities painted vivid pictures but the extent of detail was often annoying.

From my point of view, not a page turner.

I didn't care about the heroine (Maddie) until very near the end when her back-story was revealed.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
AS with all of Karen's books, the writing and plots are great. I only dropped this one because I'm sick of the protagonists not telling anyone their secrets until like ... 80% into the book? Some many issues would be resolved if they just told the truth up front.
Di
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-okay
What a load of crap. Who, when being chased by the mob, decides it's a good time to have a quickie.??
Did not hold my interest. Not a good one from Karen Robards.
Gisela
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not to good. I laughed a lot, though. That earned the book its stars.
Sheila Myers
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Suspenseful, but lacking. There's at least one situation which I doubt would happen in real life and it took away from the story.
Melissa Dancy-Henderson
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Karen Robard and Bait is why....another solid read.
Melissa Levine
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Overall, I thought this was a alright story. The fact the author used lots of the story to describe stuff was really annoying though. There were a lot of parts where I felt I was more skimming through, while looking for something to happen or just reading the dialogue.

Questions/Comments:

I couldn't help but notice how every so often the author would throw in a big word. A big word for me is typically one that I've (or my smart hubby) have ever heard of. For ex: alacrity, enervating, truculence, d
Carl Alves
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
In Bait, a failed attempt is made on Maddie Fitzgerald, a young woman who runs an advertisement agency. This same killer is being hunted by the FBI agent Sam McCabe. Maddie is resistant to any FBI protection because of her checkered past. She changed her name and took on a new life after fleeing from the mob. She returns to St. Louis where the killer continues to come after her and McCabe and company protect. But really the novel is about the developing romance between Maddie and McCabe.

This nov
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • Picture Me Dead
  • Bodyguard
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1)
  • The Color of Death
  • Pursuit
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • Deep Blue (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • The Widow (Boston Police/FBI, #1)
Karen Robards is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of more than fifty books and one novella. She has won multiple awards including six Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite author.
Karen has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, wh
More about Karen Robards