Start by marking “Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)

Gentle Rogue

(Malory-Anderson Families #3)

Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Heartsick and desperate to return home to America, Georgina Anderson boards the Maiden Anne disguised as a cabin boy, never dreaming she'll be forced into intimate servitude at the whim of the ship's irrepressible captain, James Mallory.

The black sheep of a proud and tempestuous family, the handsome ex-pirat
Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Published 1990 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Gentle Rogue, please sign up.
Gil Yes, it can. And this is a very good example of the best romance novels ever written. Pre-political correctness.These authors who wrote in the 70 and …moreYes, it can. And this is a very good example of the best romance novels ever written. Pre-political correctness.These authors who wrote in the 70 and 80's were some of the best. Their attention to detail, their historical accuracy, the character's personalities---today's authors are lame by comparison. Authors back then knew what women wanted, deep down, and they weren't afraid to give it to them.(less)

Start your review of Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
Anne
This cover is Fabiolous, right?!
Hyuck, hyuck!

description

I went into this knowing that it was an (almost) 20 year old romance about pirates, so I was prepared to give it some wiggle room for a lot of things. But, at the same time, this one kept popping up as one of the Top Pirate Romances of all times, so I was also seriously excited by the prospect of reading such a guilty pleasure.
*whispers*
Faaaabio...

description

Sadly, this did not live up to my (rather pathetic) expectations. And while I was a bit let down by th
Alp
Ugh, I hated this book!

**Some spoilers ahead.

The hero, Captain, James Mallory, was a real jerk. An obnoxious person. He intended to deceive Georgina into believing that he didn’t remember her at all in order to get her into his bed. Yuck! That was disgusting!

And Georgina was no better than him. She was so darn hot-headed, impulsive, and way too stubborn in a foolish way. She seemed to have a habit of making dumb mistakes and too many bad decisions although her friend tried to warn her and plead
AℳYⒾ ♔♚♛Cofounder of Teens against YA books♛♚♔
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cool people that love V Girl
Recommended to AℳYⒾ ♔♚♛Cofounder of Teens against YA books♛♚♔ by: Parvati Patil
whenparvatichanrecommendsabook1
💕LOL this one was funny💕
This book had a lot of issues for me, but at the end it's one of my favorites and I'll reread in the years to come.

I personally, thought this is like a historical romance version of The V Girl, one of my all-time-favs and maybe that's why I liked this one so much:

The V Girl A Coming of Age Story by Mya Robarts vs Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) by Johanna Lindsey
♥ age gap
♥ In the first chapters h has to lick her wounds, and she does it with maturity.
♥H is imperfect, serious, and dangerous but sometimes he says the funniest things!!
♥ h is stubborn, imperfect and
Jessica
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Hmmm. How do I review this book? This is Johanna Lindsey's most beloved novel and I was so ready for this pirate story. Unfortunately, I was pretty underwhelmed with this one.

When the book started, I really loved the premise. Georgie had to disguise herself as a cabin boy for James in order to earn passage to America. James knows Georgie is a woman, but he agrees to take her onboard because he's intrigued and wants to play games with her. Their attraction and animosity towards each other was a
FlibBityFLooB
Re-read 7/18/10 -- Man... I think I even liked this audiobook better the second time around. Pirrrrrrrratical fun. ;)

4.5/5 stars. This was my first novel by Johanna Lindsey, though I read a short-story of hers in an anthology before reading this book. As I listened to the audiobook, I was trying to determine why I was enjoying the book so much, despite numerous bodice-ripper type of clichés. I made myself a list to justify both my enjoyment and distaste.

Reasons I enjoyed this book?

 My love of h
Faye, la Patata
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Meh. Sexist themes. Dominant male. Virgin female who was pretty much manipulated into having sex with the sorry excuse of a love interest, and then thought nothing of it. BLAH.

(view spoiler)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
James Malory, rogue, rake, and pirate. And very sexy guy. This guy is an original. You know he's something special when you meet him in Love Only Once, and I was eager to read his book. Well I definitely enjoyed seeing James meet his HEA with Georgina.

This was a fun, sexy book. I tell you, James Malory is a guy who goes after what he wants. Once he figures out that his cabin boy is a girl, she's in his bed a very short time later. Little does he know that she has lots of big, strong, angry brot
Zeek
Strong willed Georgina Anderson is determined to find the fiancé she lost four years earlier when he had been impressed into service by the British during the war of 1812. Doing so meant leaving the five older brothers who raised her, as well as her home in America, but she’ll be damned if she’d let a little thing like war, time, and distance get in between her and her plans for the future.

And find him she does. However her ‘fiancé’ is married and settled down- to someone else!- and he is baffle
Stacey is Sassy
An easy listening experience...

Gentle Rogue is exactly what I expect from a historical romance written 30 years ago. I expect the hero to be a bit of a douchewaffle. I expect the heroine to be a bit bratty. I expect that the hero and heroine will change their ways because of true love...

I love the *heroine dresses as a lad and gets caught by the hero* storyline. In this one, Georgie has no idea that her appeal is amplified with the figure-hugging breeches. When she's caught out in her disguise f
Kat Desi
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times I've read this book over the years, but each time I do, I still giggle over it. James is definitely my favorite Malory, along with Anthony. ...more
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, best-of-2017
5 Old School stars!! (I'm doing the Running Man thanks to all this delicious 90s goodness!) This book had everything fabulous in early romance books without any of the crap (the rapey-rape).

James is a pirate, Englishman, rake, lord, and douche. Georgie is a sassy ass who pretends to be a cabin boy on his ship. He half-tortures her (and cocks his eyebrow a lot). She runs her mouth and does goofy things and loses her temper.

Man, plot doesn't matter. What matters is that James is the most perfect
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
I first read this book eons ago, back when Johanna Lindsey was for me the greatest writer on earth. Yeah, I was a dumb kid, but weren't we all a little bit? I remember anxiously walking to Woolworth's every day in November of 1990, freaking out for her latest book and annoying the clerks by repeatedly asking when were the new ones coming in!

The day I saw the shelf stocker opening up a new box, I grabbed the first book out from the top, not even caring that it has a slit in the cover. I was a bit
~Merrideth Hawk ~Filthy Fahrenheit Book Blog~
Love me a good historical romance with the sarcasm and the steamy scenes to boot!

🔥 There’s just something about a full length, stand alone historical romance novel that sets the stage for other writers to live up to.

🔥 Old school historical romances are the epitome of angry lust, forcing the reader to stay engaged most and most likely staying awake until the wee hours of the morning.

🔥 This one is snarky and devious and. . .

i like it alot

🔥 I feel fulfilled reading a full length (350+ pages) novel that keeps my
Parvati Patil
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Georgina's brothers are adorable and I wish there have been more of them. How Georgina didn't send them a letter as soon as she arrived to Mallory state?

A few complaints here and there but overall great.

AMY: This one is right on your alley.
Michelle
I really enjoyed Gentle Rogue. The image of Georgie disguised as a scrawny twelve year old cabin boy with a temper was so funny. She thought that Captain James Malory didn’t know who she was but James knew all right. She was the ‘wench’ disguised as a boy he’d been looking for since the day she kicked him in the shins and ran off after he carried her out of a Tavern. She’s been on his mind for days and it was just his luck that Georgie happened to step onto his ship.

James decides to play along
majo
This book was enjoyable. Really, it was.

But, I've heard that it was a slow-burn romance about this girl that has to dress as a boy in order to travel to her home in a pirate ship, and ends up falling in love with the captain. That concept was what made me read this book. My main problem with this book was that the ship plot was too short and after a week aboard she and the captain start a relationship (so, not a slow-burn). The rest of the book centers in the dynamics between the protagonist and
Mou
2.5 stars rounding up to 3 stars.
Title of the book- Gentle Rouge... Rouge I can understand but how the hero was a gentle rouge I seriously didn't get it. He was a certifiable jerk and an obnoxious man.

The Heroine wasn't any better. She was stupid and childish but stubborn. And her brothers, they were even more stupid. They forced the hero and heroine to get married but refused to live them together. Then why marry them, you idiots?

The last some of the chapters were good. The hero behaved almos
KC
Eh. James was a smug, arrogant ass whom I just couldn't get behind. I usually really like Lindsey's heroes because even when they're arrogant they still possess a certain charm and are oh, so smitten with their heroines. In this case the only person James was completely smitten or in love with was himself, which translated into less romance and fun. ...more
Emma Chase
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fun, easy read with a "classic historical romance" feel. Loved the banter between Georgie and James. I wanted George to smack him several times throughout the story - that's my kind of romantic hero. Not a fan of the cover art, however. ...more
D.G.
For a soon to be Buddy Read with my friend and comrade-in-arms Jennifer.

Selected simply because of the cover in hopes that this will reach the same heights of craziness as
The Second Sunrise by Francesca Greer

Just by looking at the cover, I have so many questions!
- Will they do it doggy style?
- Is that her dress trapped under his belt? Or his own shirt?
- What is her right hand doing? With a slit (of the dress) that high...could it be she's taking care of her own business?
Tiera McMillian
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march2020
*Reread Review*
Well I'm leaving my 5 star rating but... I decided on a whim to try this out via Audible Escape. The Narrator Laural Merlington, was actually decent, did a really good job differentiating between all the characters and even pulling off a wide variety of accents, but because I had read this so many times the narration threw off the whole book for me. I don't feel like the narrator is to blame really, more so my mind in the fact that it kept screaming I've seen this play out a milli
Kristen
I give Gentle Rogue a solid three stars.

I enjoyed the book and found the dialogue humorous and entertaining, but the plot was predicable and at time felt tedious. Just think “old school” romance and that pretty much sums up this book.

I highly advise reading this series in order. This was the third book in the "Malory Family" series. Because I did not read the previous two books, I was left feeling frustrated and confused during some of the conversations that were obviously past plot related.

O
Whitney
This book was a bit disappointing. The characters were all very interesting. The abundance of characters though, was a bit overwhelming at times. For being a romance, this one lacked just that. The focus was less on James and Georgina and more on their siblings and interactions. I know this is a third of a "series" so there was familiarity between characters and certain story lines. But, I felt that left little room for THIS story. More time was spent on past or future books. I wish we would hav ...more
Christy W
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A read that was entertaining from start to finish and difficult to put down. This cast of characters had me laughing throughout the story. There were twists and turns with each chapter making it fun to anticipate what was next for this endearing couple. Along with their palpable attraction, they were an especially like-able duo. This series has proven to be a fun ride and I’m looking forward to the next.
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance Summary
Georgina Anderson, has been on the hunt for the fiancee that disappeared during the war with Britain. Its been four years since he was taken by their Navy, and never heard a word from him. After her brother Thomas refuses to go in search for him, Georgina along with a trusted family friend and protector "Mac" go to England on their own to search for her missing fiancee Malcolm. But what she finds is a fiance
Jane Stewart
One of the best romance novels ever.

I've read a number of books by J. Lindsey and my two favorites are this book and "A Loving Scoundrel." Both of them have a girl dressed as and pretending to be a boy. I loved the characters. Good plot. Good writing. Great fun.

CAUTION SPOILERS: Georgina was dressed as a boy and thought the captain (James) believed she was a boy. James knew she was really a girl but pretended he didn't know. It was great fun to watch James try to seduce the "boy". It didn't work
Sabrina Jeffries
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm cheating here, and I don't like them all equally, but I do love the Mallory's. They're all funny. I especially liked Love Only Once (the first book), Gentle Rogue (my favorite), and The Magic of You (where the heroine chases the hero shamelessly). ...more
Paula
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie
She was a mystery, all right, and one he meant to solve. But first he was going to amuse himself with her charade by installing her in his cabin and letting her think his cabin boy always slept there. He would have to pretend he didn’t recognize her, or let her assume he simply didn’t remember their encounter. Of course, there was the possibility that she might not remember it, but no matter. Before the voyage was over, she’d share more than his cabin. She’d share his bed.

Besides my love/hat
What is the title?? 2 3 Oct 31, 2020 06:01PM
Exceptional Hero 3 53 Jul 15, 2019 09:26PM
About a certain scene... 1 73 Aug 08, 2013 06:11PM
Boulder Book Club: Let's Get Romantic! 5 15 Jun 07, 2012 09:08AM
Boulder Book Club: Book 26 24 15 Jun 05, 2012 06:01AM
What's the Name o...: Woman disguises self as a boy and works on ship [s] 15 570 Dec 29, 2011 09:57AM

• Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • The Secret (Highlands' Lairds, #1)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)
  • The Prize
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • The Gift (Crown's Spies, #3)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • Ravished
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom

Malory-Anderson Families (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1)
  • Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2)
  • The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)
  • Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5)
  • The Present (Malory-Anderson Family, #6)
  • A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7)
  • Captive of My Desires (Malory-Anderson Family, #8)
  • No Choice But Seduction (Malory-Anderson Family, #9)
  • That Perfect Someone (Malory-Anderson Family, #10)
  • Stormy Persuasion (Malory-Anderson Family, #11)