Start by marking “Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)

Gentle Rogue

(Malory-Anderson Families #3)

Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Heartsick and desperate to return home to America, Georgina Anderson boards the Maiden Anne disguised as a cabin boy, never dreaming she'll be forced into intimate servitude at the whim of the ship's irrepressible captain, James Mallory.

The black sheep of a proud and tempestuous family, the handsome ex-pirate
Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Published 1990 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Gentle Rogue, please sign up.
Gil Yes, it can. And this is a very good example of the best romance novels ever written. Pre-political correctness.These authors who wrote in the 70 and…moreYes, it can. And this is a very good example of the best romance novels ever written. Pre-political correctness.These authors who wrote in the 70 and 80's were some of the best. Their attention to detail, their historical accuracy, the character's personalities---today's authors are lame by comparison. Authors back then knew what women wanted, deep down, and they weren't afraid to give it to them.(less)

Start your review of Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
Anne
This cover is Fabiolous, right?!
Hyuck, hyuck!

description

I went into this knowing that it was an (almost) 20 year old romance about pirates, so I was prepared to give it some wiggle room for a lot of things. But, at the same time, this one kept popping up as one of the Top Pirate Romances of all times, so I was also seriously excited by the prospect of reading such a guilty pleasure.
*whispers*
Faaaabio...

description

Sadly, this did not live up to my (rather pathetic) expectations. And while I was a bit let down by
Alp
Ugh, I hated this book!

**Some spoilers ahead.

The hero, Captain, James Mallory, was a real jerk. An obnoxious person. He intended to deceive Georgina into believing that he didnt remember her at all in order to get her into his bed. Yuck! That was disgusting!

And Georgina was no better than him. She was so darn hot-headed, impulsive, and way too stubborn in a foolish way. She seemed to have a habit of making dumb mistakes and too many bad decisions although her friend tried to warn her and
FlibBityFLooB
Re-read 7/18/10 -- Man... I think I even liked this audiobook better the second time around. Pirrrrrrrratical fun. ;)

4.5/5 stars. This was my first novel by Johanna Lindsey, though I read a short-story of hers in an anthology before reading this book. As I listened to the audiobook, I was trying to determine why I was enjoying the book so much, despite numerous bodice-ripper type of clichés. I made myself a list to justify both my enjoyment and distaste.

Reasons I enjoyed this book?

My love of
Faye, la Patata
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Meh. Sexist themes. Dominant male. Virgin female who was pretty much manipulated into having sex with the sorry excuse of a love interest, and then thought nothing of it. BLAH.

(view spoiler)
Zeek
Strong willed Georgina Anderson is determined to find the fiancé she lost four years earlier when he had been impressed into service by the British during the war of 1812. Doing so meant leaving the five older brothers who raised her, as well as her home in America, but shell be damned if shed let a little thing like war, time, and distance get in between her and her plans for the future.

And find him she does. However her fiancé is married and settled down- to someone else!- and he is baffled
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
James Malory, rogue, rake, and pirate. And very sexy guy. This guy is an original. You know he's something special when you meet him in Love Only Once, and I was eager to read his book. Well I definitely enjoyed seeing James meet his HEA with Georgina.

This was a fun, sexy book. I tell you, James Malory is a guy who goes after what he wants. Once he figures out that his cabin boy is a girl, she's in his bed a very short time later. Little does he know that she has lots of big, strong, angry
Kat Desi
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times I've read this book over the years, but each time I do, I still giggle over it. James is definitely my favorite Malory, along with Anthony.
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, best-of-2017
5 Old School stars!! (I'm doing the Running Man thanks to all this delicious 90s goodness!) This book had everything fabulous in early romance books without any of the crap (the rapey-rape).

James is a pirate, Englishman, rake, lord, and douche. Georgie is a sassy ass who pretends to be a cabin boy on his ship. He half-tortures her (and cocks his eyebrow a lot). She runs her mouth and does goofy things and loses her temper.

Man, plot doesn't matter. What matters is that James is the most
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
I first read this book eons ago, back when Johanna Lindsey was for me the greatest writer on earth. Yeah, I was a dumb kid, but weren't we all a little bit? I remember anxiously walking to Woolworth's every day in November of 1990, freaking out for her latest book and annoying the clerks by repeatedly asking when were the new ones coming in!

The day I saw the shelf stocker opening up a new box, I grabbed the first book out from the top, not even caring that it has a slit in the cover. I was a bit
Michelle
I really enjoyed Gentle Rogue. The image of Georgie disguised as a scrawny twelve year old cabin boy with a temper was so funny. She thought that Captain James Malory didnt know who she was but James knew all right. She was the wench disguised as a boy hed been looking for since the day she kicked him in the shins and ran off after he carried her out of a Tavern. Shes been on his mind for days and it was just his luck that Georgie happened to step onto his ship.

James decides to play along with
majo
This book was enjoyable. Really, it was.

But, I've heard that it was a slow-burn romance about this girl that has to dress as a boy in order to travel to her home in a pirate ship, and ends up falling in love with the captain. That concept was what made me read this book. My main problem with this book was that the ship plot was too short and after a week aboard she and the captain start a relationship (so, not a slow-burn). The rest of the book centers in the dynamics between the protagonist and
Mou
2.5 stars rounding up to 3 stars.
Title of the book- Gentle Rouge... Rouge I can understand but how the hero was a gentle rouge I seriously didn't get it. He was a certifiable jerk and an obnoxious man.

The Heroine wasn't any better. She was stupid and childish but stubborn. And her brothers, they were even more stupid. They forced the hero and heroine to get married but refused to live them together. Then why marry them, you idiots?

The last some of the chapters were good. The hero behaved
D.G.
For a soon to be Buddy Read with my friend and comrade-in-arms Jennifer.

Selected simply because of the cover in hopes that this will reach the same heights of craziness as
The Second Sunrise by Francesca Greer

Just by looking at the cover, I have so many questions!
- Will they do it doggy style?
- Is that her dress trapped under his belt? Or his own shirt?
- What is her right hand doing? With a slit (of the dress) that high...could it be she's taking care of her own business?
Emma Chase
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fun, easy read with a "classic historical romance" feel. Loved the banter between Georgie and James. I wanted George to smack him several times throughout the story - that's my kind of romantic hero. Not a fan of the cover art, however.
~Merrideth Hawk ~Filthy Fahrenheit Book Blog~
Love me a good historical romance with the sarcasm and the steamy scenes to boot!

🔥 Theres just something about a full length, stand alone historical romance novel that sets the stage for other writers to live up to.

🔥 Old school historical romances are the epitome of angry lust, forcing the reader to stay engaged most and most likely staying awake until the wee hours of the morning.

🔥 This one is snarky and devious and. . .

i like it alot

🔥 I feel fulfilled reading a full length (350+ pages) novel that keeps my
KC
Eh. James was a smug, arrogant ass whom I just couldn't get behind. I usually really like Lindsey's heroes because even when they're arrogant they still possess a certain charm and are oh, so smitten with their heroines. In this case the only person James was completely smitten or in love with was himself, which translated into less romance and fun.
Paula
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whitney
This book was a bit disappointing. The characters were all very interesting. The abundance of characters though, was a bit overwhelming at times. For being a romance, this one lacked just that. The focus was less on James and Georgina and more on their siblings and interactions. I know this is a third of a "series" so there was familiarity between characters and certain story lines. But, I felt that left little room for THIS story. More time was spent on past or future books. I wish we would ...more
Sabrina Jeffries
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm cheating here, and I don't like them all equally, but I do love the Mallory's. They're all funny. I especially liked Love Only Once (the first book), Gentle Rogue (my favorite), and The Magic of You (where the heroine chases the hero shamelessly).
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance Summary
Georgina Anderson, has been on the hunt for the fiancee that disappeared during the war with Britain. Its been four years since he was taken by their Navy, and never heard a word from him. After her brother Thomas refuses to go in search for him, Georgina along with a trusted family friend and protector "Mac" go to England on their own to search for her missing fiancee Malcolm. But what she finds is a fiancee that married a
Leigh
This is the first time I reread this book since I read it when I was 12. I still highly enjoyed this. It starts slow and I find that happened with a lot of her books that it takes me a few pages to really get in to the book for some reason. Gentle Rogue was a fun read. James is an arrogant rake, Wild and reckless. Im not usually a fan of these types of heroes but Johanna Lindsey made him quite likable and just fun to read about. He had moments where he did display his deathly side which was ...more
Tiera McMillian
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march2020
*Reread Review*
Well I'm leaving my 5 star rating but... I decided on a whim to try this out via Audible Escape. The Narrator Laural Merlington, was actually decent, did a really good job differentiating between all the characters and even pulling off a wide variety of accents, but because I had read this so many times the narration threw off the whole book for me. I don't feel like the narrator is to blame really, more so my mind in the fact that it kept screaming I've seen this play out a
Jane Stewart
One of the best romance novels ever.

I've read a number of books by J. Lindsey and my two favorites are this book and "A Loving Scoundrel." Both of them have a girl dressed as and pretending to be a boy. I loved the characters. Good plot. Good writing. Great fun.

CAUTION SPOILERS: Georgina was dressed as a boy and thought the captain (James) believed she was a boy. James knew she was really a girl but pretended he didn't know. It was great fun to watch James try to seduce the "boy". It didn't work
Lissa
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was younger, I had a huge crush on cover model Fabio, and picturing him as James Malory always brought a smile to my adolescent face. Thinking of Fabio still makes me smile, but now, thanks to my new friends over on FB, I have a new face to imagine when I think of James...

MMM, Chris Hemsworth!!!

But even if I didn't have such a handsome man to visualize, just the character of James Malory is amazingly sexy. So desirable that women chased him? So bored with society that he became a
Chumchum_88
This was the cutest book I have read in a very long while (re-reads not withstanding), and the best Malory book so far, and to tell the truth its way better than the previous two.

Georgina was a funny character and immensely amusing to read, one of the reasons that endeared the Malory family to me is that they were a big brood, and an addition to another brood was a big welcome, I loved her relationship with her brother and with Mac, it reminded me of Regina from the first book. She was a bit
Kristen
I give Gentle Rogue a solid three stars.

I enjoyed the book and found the dialogue humorous and entertaining, but the plot was predicable and at time felt tedious. Just think old school romance and that pretty much sums up this book.

I highly advise reading this series in order. This was the third book in the "Malory Family" series. Because I did not read the previous two books, I was left feeling frustrated and confused during some of the conversations that were obviously past plot related.

Elaine
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Incredibly silly, some excellent smut scenes, and like most of the historical romance novels I've read, it goes on for a hundred pages too long.
Logically, I shouldn't like this book; Georgie was not believable and she was overconfident for her level of knowledge and experience while James *sigh* there was so much potential but a total let down overall. He was much too arrogant and manipulative. The plot was overdone and some parts just didn't make sense. But it is such an entertaining read, and
Janja
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it. James got his match with George and her brothers.
Valerie Bowman
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the very best.
Exceptional Hero 3 50 Jul 15, 2019 09:26PM
About a certain scene... 1 69 Aug 08, 2013 06:11PM
Boulder Book Club: Let's Get Romantic! 5 14 Jun 07, 2012 09:08AM
Boulder Book Club: Book 26 24 15 Jun 05, 2012 06:01AM
What's the Name o...: Woman disguises self as a boy and works on ship [s] 15 482 Dec 29, 2011 09:57AM

• Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1)
  • The Gift (Crown's Spies, #3)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Honor's Splendour
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Suddenly You
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)
  • Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)
  • The Prize
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey,

Malory-Anderson Families (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1)
  • Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2)
  • The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)
  • Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5)
  • The Present (Malory-Anderson Family, #6)
  • A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7)
  • Captive of My Desires (Malory-Anderson Family, #8)
  • No Choice But Seduction (Malory-Anderson Family, #9)
  • That Perfect Someone (Malory-Anderson Family, #10)
  • Stormy Persuasion (Malory-Anderson Family, #11)