Start by marking “The Finer Things (Saint Georges, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Finer Things (Saint Georges, #2)

The Finer Things

(Saint Georges #2)

The Power...The Passion...The Incomparable Romance of Brenda Joyce

The Pretender
An orphan from London's East End, a fugitive from the poorhouse, Violet Cooper was tired of sleeping on stoops and being hungry and cold. But she dared to enter a world forbidden to her and her kind. Even marriage to a gentle, elderly knight and the title Lady Goodwin could not open closed doors
Published April 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Finer Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finer Things

Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Reread

This is amongst my most favourite books, I literally read my paperback copy till it turned to sawdust. I love this book. I have read this book countless times and I am still gripped with the emotions i had when I first read it about 10+ years ago.

Violet, an orphan from the slums is accused of murdering her husband. Violet, who married her husband to avoid poverty is the only suspect. Luckily for her, Blake who is instantly attracted to her agrees to help her and he does, with several ups a
Su
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Several mistakes that should have been corrected by a good editor:
Why a widow of a peer, who is already a lady needs to marry a peer to be in trial in Lords` court? She should already have that privilege as no matter what her origins are she is a lady now.
Why a man has to adopt his own daughter?
Her reason for leaving her husband was flimsy or not played out well.
Both H and h were very immature and unfortunately didn`t see much improvement in any of them until the end of the book.
h, even thoug
Coucher de soleil
Barbara
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yes Mam...the finer things (sigh!). Joyce has once again given us another Cinderella story to remember.

Violet was unlike any character I've ever read and her strength was of course storybook... Now Blake he's another matter. I would have told him to hit the road after the third time he apologized for his stupid self, but hey women these days are a different breed (or at least I am). In the end though Blake was SUCH a man, and Violet finally, finally got the ending she deserved.

I would for sure
Kindaangelic
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book had it all....a great love story that didnt leave me bored and a secondary story that I was also interested in and that didnt leave me hanging as to an an outcome. I cried and I loved it....that a big 5 stars from me!One of my new all time favorites. I will read more of Ms Joyce's historicals for sure!
Shirlene
Voilet was ten years old and searching for her father in an opium den in London. She located him and he soon passed out. Violet left with her friend Ralph. They were approached by a man that was trying to recruit Violet as a prostitute. Ralph told Violet that he was no good and to run away. They both ran and they ended up in a well-to-do neighborhood and snuck onto the property called Harding House. A party was going on and Violet and Ralph watched through the windows. A couple came out onto the ...more
Shaz
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good read , keeps you wanting to know more, need a box of tissues by your side.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avoid-as-hell
Is there a stupider more overwrought book than this own in existence? 🙄
Sodonas Townsend
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It made me cry but its so very good.
Caroline
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A tale of total stupidity.
Sara
May 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Oh wow. Okay first let me say Brenda Joyce is an amazing story teller. She has the ability to bring each of her characters to life in such a way that you feel you have known them for years.
This particular story just didn't work for me. There was too much "wishy-washy" for me. I'm a direct person, and often when I pick up a book with hero/heroines that don't share their thoughts or feelings...I just get perturbed.
I did enjoy the book! I read all of it! Brenda Is one of my all time favorite autho
Lorka
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-at-all
I lost interest in this book because I did not like the hero, for some reason he seemed creepy and stalker'ish to me, the way he was staring and following the heroine while she was married. I checked out Goodreads to see if anyone else was complaining about the same thing and I saw a reviewer had typed a huge synopsis retelling the whole book. So I read that and that was enough for me and did not feel the need to continue reading.
Melann
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que j'en veux au héros de ne pas savoir ce qu'il veut ! Il ne déclare sa flamme que dans la toute dernière page. Que de temps perdu et de péripéties inutiles !
Quand à elle, elle me semble bien naïve pour une fille qui est née et a grandi dans la rue !
Aimee Tussey
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great light smut. its oldschool... gotta love it.
Chantell  Petrell
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a good book! I've read it twice; it just really hits close to home for me, for some random reason.
Karlene Elliott-mclean
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
Although you were born poor you can elevate yourself to whatever position you want in life. There will be struggles and heartaches but the path to greatness is smoothly paved.
Verity
Feb 28, 2009 added it
Shelves: joyce-brenda
2 COPIES
gma007
Sep 27, 2013 added it
This is my all time favorite romance book! It wasn't to predictable and had a great story line. Highly recommend this book if you want a good story!
Aya
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Patrid
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhhh....Good story!
Cheryl Tollestrup
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Emotional roller coaster ride! The lovers are constantly physically and emotionally torn apart! The reader really feels their turmoil in a manner that hurts so good! The romance was wonderful!
Elle
Cheryl Behr
Apr 09, 2016

• Beloved Enemy
  • The Tiger Prince
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • Midnight Masquerade (Louisiana #6)
  • A Most Unsuitable Groom (Romney Marsh #4)
  • Fair is the Rose (Van Alen Sisters #2)
  • Bedazzled (Skye's Legacy #2)
  • After the Kiss (Captive Hearts,#2)
  • Flame (MacPherson Clan, #5)
  • Seduced By A Scoundrel
  • Temporary Mistress
  • Triumph (Florida Civil War, #6)
  • The Mistress Diaries (Pembroke Palace, #2)
  • When Marrying a Scoundrel (Victorian Soap Opera, #2)
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • When We Touch (Graham, #6)
  • Frankly, My Dear (Creole Historical, #1)
  • Just One Kiss
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in ...more

Saint Georges (2 books)
  • Beyond Scandal (Saint Georges, #1)