Start by marking “Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #5)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #5)

Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill Deadly #5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  611 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Brenda Joyce's New York Times best-selling novels have thrilled millions of readers. Now, in her latest Francesca Cahill novel, return to the lush mansions and teeming streets of New York City's Gilded Age, where intrigue and seduction lie on every corner...

The year is 1902. The place is New York City. A famous stage actress has been found strangled in an artist's studio,
Published April 14th 2003 by St. Martin's (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Caress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Caress

Paganalexandria
Okay, this one was a little hard to get through. The mystery just didn't make a lot of sense. I had to subtract half a star from my original rating because sentimentality clouded my judgment. Calder is still the main attraction and does not disappoint. This book deserves 2 1/2.
Yaseena
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Continue to be somewhat annoyed by Francesca, although she is getting better. It was her naivete that really annoyed me at first, that and the fact that she is supposed to be this brilliant woman and yet isn't all that street smart when it comes to quite a lot of things. She is painted as very intelligent and yet I feel this intelligence isn't really clear to readers in a lots of ways. All that asides, I think that Francesca comes off very dramatic in a lot of ways because of the way Brenda Joyc ...more
シ Pen*Cil シ
Ce cinquième tome est un réel ravissement, même si je n'ai pas toujours compris les réactions ainsi que les changements d'avis brutaux de Francesca...
L'enquête est menée de main de maître par le duo constitué de Bragg et notre héroïne, mais le retour de Leigh Anne a jeté un froid entre les deux.

Ce qui permet donc à Calder de se montrer sous le jour que j'attendais le plus: émouvant.
Car au delà de son charisme, son charme et sa répartie, on devine depuis le début l'homme qui sait aimer, physique
Alicia
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Twists and turns are in store for book 5 of the series. We find out some secrets that Rick has been hiding that may alter his relationship with Francesca... and Calder just might have a shoulder for her to cry on.

Each book keeps getting better...
Jeanne
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
In spite of the original setting and genre, this book remains a classical romance with just a bit too many clichés. Enjoyable, but nothing to be very excited about.

In this fifth book of the Deadly series, Francesca Cahill, an idle rich young woman and amateur sleuth, has a lot on her plate. Firstly, there is the return to New York of the beautiful, estranged wife of Commissioner Rick Bragg, whom Francesca is in love with. Secondly, she must deal with an unwanted and surprising proposal from Cald
Shirlene
Francesca Cahill received a proposal of marriage from Calder Hart. She turned him down because she was in love with his half-brother, Rick Bragg, the police commissioner. Rick is married to Leigh Anne who has returned from Europe after four years to reclaim her place as Rick's wife. Rick and his wife made an agreement that she would stay in Europe and he would pay the bills for her extravagant lifestyle. She talked Rick into agreeing to give their marriage a chance for 6 months. She would agree ...more
Ns
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once again, we re-acquaint ourselves with Francesca Cahill, an intrepid and intelligent sleuth who stars in the Deadly Series. In Deadly Caress, she finds herself on familiar territory putting her detective solving skills to use in a murder mystery. Only this time the mystery sits too close to home. She is no stranger to scandal, continually involving herself in political reform in order to better the lives of the city's most vulnerable. This, much to the chagrin of her parents, her class, but a ...more
Stacy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Francesca Cahill and Rick Bragg are having a few problems. Rick’s wife is back in town a determined to make a go of their marriage. Rick’s brother, the cad Calder Hart, is determined to marry Francesca. There’s also another killer on the loose in the streets of New York City and the Cahill house is in disarray after Evan is almost beaten to death because of his gambling debts. Francesca’s sister, Connie is still trying to come to terms with her husband’s infidelity and in 1902, women did not lea ...more
Nicci
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I read it failry fast as I just had to know what was going to happen next. I did think I knew who the killer was then I switched it just as the author intended only to be surprised in the end. I am pulling for Calder I like his character not loving the Rick character at this moment. I immediately started reading the 6th book in this series.
Toni
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
This is my favorite book in this series so far, probably because I've fallen for the character of Hart and he had such a big part in this book. The rest of the ensemble of characters continue to evolve in interesting ways as well, though I continue to be annoyed by Bragg at times. It's a good series for historical mystery and romance that isn't too heavy - I'm on to the next one.
Patacaisse
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
J'ai adoré ! L'intrigue est super, on devine pas le coupable avant la fin. Les différentes histoires des personnages secondaires se croisent parfaitement, j'ai retenu mon souffle pour savoir ce qu'allait faire Francesca (ah Cader !!!! ). Bref, une histoire que j'ai dévorée !!
Gaynell
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: joyce-brenda
I really enjoyed this book. I have become even more enamored with Calder Hart. And, Francesca did not figure out the killer. Shows she is human. I still think of this series as a soap-opera in book form.
Romance Reader
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
I think I would have liked this book A LOT better if I had known it was part of an ongoing series. I kind of like the main character, and the story wasn't really bad, but I had no connection with it because I hadn't read the other books.
ChloeLeeNH
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ok... she has picked one for now... but will it stay that way... Great mystery... built up a bit more... but so much of it was this triangle well square now that Braggs wife is in the picture. I am a woman obsessed, I must keep going!!
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2003
I think that DC is the best of the Deadly series to date. The characters are less conflicted -- though the level of angst, lust, hatred, and love is VERY high -- and the very sense of human-ness (is that a word?) makes this book work.
Monique J.
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Read my review on my blog: Too Many Books, Not Enough Time. Here is the URL.

Leslie
Feb 14, 2017
Amy
Sep 22, 2010
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 06, 2015 03:53PM
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • A Match Made in Scandal (Donally Family, #3)
  • Yours Always
  • The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1)
  • Circle of Dreams (Quytel #1)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • Knight Triumphant (Graham, #4)
  • Gramercy Park
  • Sands of Time (Out of Time #6)
  • The Twenty-One (Emerald Cove #2)
  • Accidental Alpha (A is for Alpha Male #3)
  • Tiger's Eye
  • Love's Charade
  • Collision (Fight for Life #1)
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in ...more
More about Brenda Joyce...

Francesca Cahill Deadly (9 books)
  • Deadly Love (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #1)
  • Deadly Pleasure (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #2)
  • Deadly Affairs (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #3)
  • Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #4)
  • Deadly Promise (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #6)
  • Deadly Illusions (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #7)
  • Deadly Kisses (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #8)
  • Deadly Vows (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #9)