Start by marking “All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories” as Want to Read:
All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories

All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  658 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
A boy is trapped in a possessed car that has stalled in the path of an oncoming train. A girl is dragged into a crypt during a field trip to an eighteenth-century cemetery. A group of friends meet their fate after an unsettling visit with a backwoods psychic. And that's just the beginning.
Published September 6th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about All Hallows' Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Hallows' Eve

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I have been a fan of Vivian Vande Velde ever since I read CURSES, INC. AND OTHER STORIES. I quickly followed that up by reading several of her other books, including NOW YOU SEE IT... and COMPANIONS OF THE NIGHT. Ms. Vande Velde is the master of spooky stories, whether they be contemporary, paranormal, or fantasy. What she's even better at, though, is writing short stories that have a way of staying with you long after you finish reading them.

With ALL HALLOWS'
Sesana
I've read a few things by Vivian Vande Velde before, and I was in the right mood for something nice and creepy. It's October! Time to roll out the scary books!

Sadly, I was a teensy bit disappointed. I was promised a chilled spine, and I rarely got it. Short story collections are almost always a mixed bag. No exception here! There were a few stories that were creepy, if not memorably so, and a few that fell flat.

The best of the lot were Morgan Roehmer's Boys (set in a haunted hayride!), Only on A
Blayne
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it was a YA anthology and for some reason that's exactly what I wanted for my Halloween reading. The stories are brief and fun. They are creepy but not keep-you-up-at-night scary and I didn't mind at all. I like my Halloween entertainment to be less blood and guts and more like a chilling whisper on the wind and that's what you get here. I had a good time with this book.
Joseph
A truly spooky collection of short stories with twists at the ends of each one that will send a chill down your spine. Vivian Vande Velde is an expert when it comes to creepy stories. If you like these stories, be sure to check out the rest of her books.
Elizabeth
This collection of short stories provides a good mix of suspense, terror, and intrigue, with just the right amount of humor thrown in. Some of the stories are particularly innovative, and the various twists and turns are sure to keep you interested. A charming YA collection.
Samantha
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-horror
Velde knows how to scare! I don't even remember reading some of her work that was this scary. It has everything from undead serial killers, adopted vampire children, ghost parents, and more! Great Halloween read.
10-11 Haley
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was very exciting in alot of parts. I think the author is very good at spooking people out. This is one of my favorite books to read right before halloween.
Trevor Wells
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love short horror stories, and All Hallows' Eve was the perfect book for me to have as a Halloween read. While there were a few flawed stories, there were many that had great plots and some great plot twists, especially in the last few stories. Here are some brief synopses of all 13 stories in the book and my opinion on each:

Come In And Rest A Spell: A witch agrees to help a woman earn a man's love. The story is written through the witch's POV and dialogue, which is a pretty neat writing style
Greg Kerestan
Short horror stories often feel compelled to include a twist ending, and with that expectation, so many of them can fall short. This is amplified even further in YA fiction, which often goes for the jugular in predictable, movie-inspired ways. Nonetheless, Vande Velde's collection of Halloween tales was unexpectedly satisfying- the macabre, "Tales from the Crypt" sensibility running through many of them felt genuinely dark and at a few times even unsettling for real. Definitely a nice way to spe ...more
Maggie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some of the short stories in this collection are better than others overall it is fun and spooky. The author frequently subverts the reader's expectations and puts a surprising spin on the common ghost story. It's a quick easy read that is perfect for Halloween night, but can be enjoyed anytime.
Tara Kyrios
V scary....eeee
Matt Glaviano
Good genre fiction for the middle school age. Nothing too shocking here, from a genre perspective. The stories stay pretty well within defined lines, the ends twist as they should, etc. Still, they're fun tales, decently told, and should offer the right amount of thrill without going too far.
Bethany Ainsworth
I went in this book thinking, 'horror, Halloween, spooky settings, horror." Instead I opened this book and got a big load of disappointment.

Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. I eagerly await Halloween and get excited for it. I like seeing the costumes, the decorations, and the Addams Family movies.

I dive into this book expecting something Halloween-y like. Something, but I instead get boring stories that take place on Halloween.

It's like opening your parents telling you that you're goin
Zoë
Jane Anthony
It was really good
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of very short stories, all of which display Velde's fascinating style. The stories are good and dark at the same time.

1. Come in and Rest a Spell: What I mistook as a sort of introduction but is actually a story.

2. Marian: Apparently a GPS system in a car that works very well except for putting the car on a train track when a train is coming. Or is it the GPS? Very good story.

3. Morgan Roehmar's Boys: Ashley is working in a Halloween display and is in a barn with arranged f
Jesus Jimenez
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that I choose to read for Red Dot was called All Hallows Eve 13 Stories by Vivian Vande Velde. The author's name I think it’s the first time that I’ve seen the first,middle, and last name start with the same letter which I thought was pretty cool. This book is different it doesn’t have one story it has thirteen so it has many character and they are all somewhat scary about the night before halloween. I did have mixed emotions about this book I really enjoyed some stories and some very ...more
Chelsea
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
I'm a sucker for scary stories. I was always the one requesting scary stories at camp and sleepovers. All of these scary stories happen on Halloween, hence the title. Overall, I really enjoyed them. Sometimes these types of books are cheesy, but I was pleased with this one. Some were weird, but most I liked.

To give you a glimpse, I'll summarize my favorite one: 5 teenagers get their fortunes read. One asks: Will I marry [specific name]? Answer-no. Another asks whom will I marry? answer-you won'
Tranna Foley
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hickman
From library catalog - Presents thirteen tales of Halloween horrors, including ghosts, vampires, and pranks gone awry.

Fun, scary stories! Short enough to read during a class (or around a campfire!).

Review from Booklist (October 1, 2006 (Vol. 103, No. 3)):
Creepy and gruesome, these horror stories all take place on Halloween night when high-school characters bridge the gap between the living and the dead. "He opened the door, and a body fell out, a young woman with a bloody T-shirt and a knife s
Robert Beveridge
Vivian Vande Velde, All Hallows' Eve (Harcourt, 2004)

Thirteen pretty standard horror stories for Halloween. (Somehow, I entirely overlooked the fact that it was October when I put both this and The Dollhouse Murders on hold. Now I know why it took so long to get them...) Collections like this have been floating around kidlit for generations, and if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Or most of 'em, anyway. (I have a soft spot for a number of Robert Arthur's Alfred Hitchcock collections, in wh
Sheila
After reading All Hallows’ Eve, by Vivian Vande Velde, I wandered over to the author’s website and found a long list of books, many of them fantasies for teens, and even a section with a wise and fascinating essay on why books shouldn’t be banned. I think I like this author! (Wish I could be in one of her writers’ groups!)

All Hallows’ Eve is a fun collection of scary Halloween tales; thirteen of them, of course, all different, all fascinatingly original. There’s Granny, offering that perfect spe
Nan Silvernail
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 Scary Tales (for Kids and Young Adults - NS)

1) Come in and Rest a Spell - Love spells can be tricky.
2) MARIAN - A new kind of GPS
3) Morgan Roehmar's Boys - All the trills in a scary hay ride aren't real ... right?
4) Only on All Hallow's Eve - A young man thinks up a wicked little trick.
5) Cemetery Field Trip - A school outing in the bright sunshine.
6) Best Friends - Two BFF... together forever...?
7) Pretending - He's on his way to pick up his date, way out in the country.
8) I Want to Thank Yo
Rebecca
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up; read with the lights on!
Shelves: scary, short-stories
I love to recommend this one during the Halloween season! Prolific writer Vivian Vande Velde (I want her name) presents 13 stories that all take place on Halloween night. There is a wide variety in the traditional horror genre -- some vampires, some murders, some ghosts -- but appropriate for middle school. Several of these still spring into my mind a year after first reading them -- "Cemetary Field Trip" (girl wanders away from her class to follow the sound of a mewing kitten between the tombst ...more
Jacquelyn
Since this is a collection of short stories, here are my ratings for each individual story:

Come In and Rest A Spell: 2 stars
When My Parents Come to Visit: 2 stars
Edward, Lost and Far From Home: 1 star
My Real Mother: 2 stars
Holding On: 3 stars

I took the average of my individual ratings and made that the overal
Carie Juettner
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love scary stories and there are some scary stories in this book. Too many horror stories for kids have the Scooby-Doo ending. Oh! It was just Farmer Bob in a mask! Not these. I enjoyed almost all of the 13 stories, but it was the third one-- "Morgan Roehmar's Boys"-- that made me sit up and take notice. It reminded me of when I first picked up The Hunger Games back in 2009 and thought, Is she REALLY going to have kids killing kids? Oh, yep. She is. Vivian Vande Velde's book hit me the same wa ...more
Mehsi
Spine-tingling? Mmm yeah sure 1 or 2 stories had that. But the rest? Not really, some are just spine-tingling boring or lame.

My favourite ones would be the girl who goes off to find her adoptive parents, and the group that goes to a psychic (I absolutely loved the ending of that story) and the boyfriend who finds out his girlfriend is (view spoiler).

Also liked the one or 2 really short chapters between them, Granny and the girl seeking refugee. I lo
Sabur Jamshedov
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
The thirteen scary stories cover a wide range of topics from witchcraft (where Granny steals youth, beauty, and love through spells), to a cemetery ( where a young girl on her ninth grade field trip to a Victorian cemetery meets a group of ghosts), to best friends (Nikki, who is dead and wants Aimee Ann, her best friend, to join her), to parents (a boy whose ghost parents visit him every Halloween night and a young girl whose search for her real mother takes a drastic turn).This book is actually ...more
Laura Delano
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing book to read. This has to be my go to When I miss the feeling halloween brings me. With in this story of multiple stories that have a dark humor while others are sad. Parts that make you question things with out dragging you to be uncomfortable places. Giving to real situations that still having a paranormal feel that we all want. All of this is combined into one, behind a cover. This book I will always want to read again.
Kelsey
Age: 10-14

Most of these stories have excellent twists at the end, making them great for storytelling. Some of the humor seems to be trying too hard, which older teens may have less tolerance for.

"When and How" could be condensed for storytelling.
"Morgan Roehmar's Boys" might be too frightening to tell (in the very end, female protagonist is murdered by a serial killer pretending to be her friend)
  • Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • Even More Short & Shivery: Forty Five Spine Tingling Tales
  • The Scary States of America
  • The Intruders
  • How to Be a Zombie: The Essential Guide for Anyone Who Craves Brains
  • Haunted America
  • The Curse of the Campfire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #3)
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Jade Green
  • Tainted: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along