Start by marking “The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  939 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Samantha and Nellie set sail for Europe in 1906. Also aboard the ship is a world-famous archaeologist and the legendary sapphire he is carrying to a London museum. When his priceless jewel disappears, Samantha realizes that every one of the first-class passengers is a suspect--and one of them must be the thief!
Published March 1st 2006 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published February 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Sapphire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Sapphire

Sesana
A pretty decent locked room mystery. Samantha was always my favorite American Girl (I got my interest in history from Meet Samantha: An American Girl) but I hadn't quite realized how complicated her storyline had gotten until some poor author has to summarize it in two paragraphs.
Jordan
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, childrens-mg
French lessons, a monkey, and a missing sapphire turn Samantha's trip across the Atlantic into a test of her detective skills! The sisterhood between Samantha and Nellie is sweet and definitely realistic- even close sisters keep secrets, but they've always got each other's backs. The actual theft was pulled off in a very clever fashion, and the girls were smart to put the clues together, leading to the thief's capture and the jewel's return.
Gracie
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 9-10
Great Mystery. Also goes to show that sometimes the person that you least expect could be the culprit!
Kelly
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ag-books
This mystery starts off slow, but then picks up. There's a lot of filler and red herrings. I really can't stand the unsavory family. But I love boats and travel so this was fun to read and not easy to figure out!
Nicole P
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Apparently middle school mystery books are my thing lately, but this American Girl mystery book did not disappoint. This “Samantha Mystery” is about two adopted sisters named Samantha Parkington and Nellie who travel on a ship that is on its way to Europe. They were invited by their wealthy grandparents on the ship and have first class tickets. They are also accompanied by their French tutor Nicole Étienne and their maid. There are very few first class passengers, but one of them happens to be a ...more
Elaine Dimopoulos
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Great misdirection; the mystery satisfies.

I obsess about the historical accuracy of my own writing. Here's a passage that made me laugh hysterically and put my fears in perspective. To be fair, the author of this mystery had to sum up Samantha's life so far, so this highly implausible scenario hits the reader all at once:

"Samantha's parents had died when she was little, and she'd lived most of her life with her grandmother in the small town of Mount Bedford, New York. Two years ago, while she wa
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a Samantha mystery novel. Samantha and Nellie are sailing for Europe with their French tutor, grandmother and step-grandfather. While on the trip an archaeologist shows them the Blue Star Sapphire and, in a sudden loss of electrical power, the sapphire is stolen.

Suspicion seems to fall on the French tutor, especially with a mysterious note she receives. Although there are possible suspects, the emphasis is on her. It's up to Nellie and Samantha to find a way to prove that it wasn't thei
Allison
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story is a great children's book especially for young girls. It is part of the American Girl series which includes stories about different girls and different mysteries that they encounter. This particular book is about a girl named Samantha who goes on a trip on a ship with her friend Samantha. Along the way there has been a problem and the girls want to help fix it. This is a great book full of suspense as it tells how these two friends try to find a missing sapphire stone. This stone bel ...more
Miri
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Samantha, Nellie, Grandmary, Admiral Beemis and the girls new French tutor Mademoiselle Etienne are sailing to England and France. On board with them is a famous archaeologist Mr. Wharton, who has along with him a very rare and priceless stone, The Blue Star Sapphire. When this supposedly cursed sapphire disappears from dinner one night, Samantha and Nellie are certain only one of the few first class passengers could be responsible, but who?
Alisse
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great. But there was a part where I didn't understand. I didn't understand the part where this guy takes a straw and button and a few more items and he steals a sapphire. he blacks out the room and then steals the sapphire with the items. he said that he was poor and needed the money. He stole a famous sapphire. They said that whoever carries it will come to his fate. But that never happened in the book. i thought this book was really cool.
Amy ♥♫
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a great mystery!! Really didn't give you all the clues till close to the end and you basically solved the mystery along with Samantha and Nellie (unlike Holmes or Poirot where they have it all figured out while you don't get to see some of the same clues that they did). It was very exciting! Can't wait to read the next two mysteries!! :D
Susan
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Samantha and Nellie are on an ocean liner with their grandparents when a very large sapphire is stolen. Their tutor is blamed, and the girls know they must find the real robber and clear their tutor.

This book was written for ages 9 and up. Maybe if I were 9, I would give it 4 stars. It's a cute little mystery. A fast read.
Laura Verret
Feb 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really liked this when I read it, but when I was flipping through it again yesterday I came to the conlusion that it was not that great of a book. Lots of sarcasm and independant kids out-smarting grown-ups. What a terrible genre! But hey, I read it in 2006! I was only 10.
Amanda
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
It's nice to see that Samantha's mysteries are so linear. This notes not only that the events take place after Samantha's Oceanliner adventure, but that they are also after The Curse of the Ravenscourt. A nice little Samantha mystery, as Sam and Nellie save the day once again.
Olivia
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was great! It wants to make me read more about Samantha and her travels with Nellie. They are so brave to try to solve this mystery by thereselves. And they did! I feel rather compelled to read other books in this series. Happy Reading!!
Renee
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Another well-written historical girls mystery by my favorite AG author Sarah Masters Buckey! This is one of those good mysteries that keeps you guessing who the culprit is, and the characters I had suspicions of weren't the true culprits at all! A well-written, great read by Sarah Masters Buckey.
Bre
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A cute story to introduce mysteries to my class.
Lorna
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-charlotte
Very, very good says Charlotte. She finished it all by herself. Z
Wendy Hall
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Meg
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book gets me on the edge of my chair! This book makes you want to agree with anything the characters say. I love this book!
Emily
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
The American Girl mysteries are fun, combining history with mystery.
Mary Grace
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
PERFECT
Heather
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun to read with my 9yo daughter. An interesting mystery for us both, with some unexpected twists.
Abigail
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very mysterious! Kind of spooky!
Maddy
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-girl
This is my favourite Samantha mystery out of all of them! i remember the story line so well even though i finished it about a year ago!
Camryn
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was probably the best book I have ever read in my lifetime!
Haley Cambron
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Its ok... its not the best book i have ever read plus its super easy
LuAnn
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well-written & well-paced mystery that I enjoyed. Especially appropriate for late elementary and early middle who are ready for short chapter books.
Damaris
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
the mystery was great and in the back of the book it has some info about the hope diomand which i saw in D.C
Schylar
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: any-catagory
I love this book... I love ALL the Samantha books!
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Midnight in Lonesome Hollow: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery
  • Nellie's Promise (American Girls: Samantha, #7)
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Secrets at Camp Nokomis: A Rebecca Mystery

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)